Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Airspeed indicator

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Airspeed indicator

Old 05-28-2013, 12:25 PM
Pete S-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airspeed indicator

I'm looking for a real time airspeed indicator that could be used to keep a jet just above stall speed on landing.
It should have a sound indicator that warns as stall speed is approached.
A beep that increases in frequency as you approach a stall?
Does anyone make one that could be used for this?
I've looked at a few, but would like to know if anyone has had first hand experience with one.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Guillermo Ibanez
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Airspeed indicator

http://www.eagletreesystems.com
Old 05-28-2013, 05:17 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wetronics Telemetry can give you live airspeed, however at present the live information display is only available on a lap top or similar device, connected via bluetooth or cable to your RX.. Weatronics have promised a voice announcement capability, but has yet to materialise..

Look at this thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11..._1/key_/tm.htm Steve has set up what you are interested in..

Roger
Old 05-28-2013, 06:02 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

You could set up similar function with a JetCat ECU and pitot tube in "cruise" mode... you would set idle, and full stick speeds, .. and fly the "Speed" and not the "thrust" on the throttle stick. To land, you'd have to flip your AUX switch to let the engine go back to thrust mode, and idle down.

Voy
Old 05-28-2013, 07:40 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

If you Futaba S-bus 2 there is a telemetry sensor available that will indicate air speed from pitot tube sensors and the tx can call out the airspeed to you. Then you just have to figure out what stall speed is and fly with a safety margin.

PaulD
Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 PM
hyperdyne
My Feedback: (6)

Which ones have you looked at? I designed one for jets in particular and have been flying it on several of my models.

http://www.hyperdynelabs.com/products_RC_stald.php

It includes the stall speed alarm feature as well as flameout detection (w/ extra circuit). Lots of options and all settings are programmable. Speeds are called out via earbud by number, not by a gradient tone. You use the eagle tree speed sensor with my unit, it simply plugs into the Tx board.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Pete S-RCU

Looks interesting, when will they be in stock?

I have mainly looked at Eagle Tree and Hobby King.

I am using a JR radio and the engine is a Wren 100K.

Just thought I would ask to see what others are using and how well they work to see what's available.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:20 PM
hyperdyne
My Feedback: (6)

Hopefully soon. I have all the parts to make more, I was just waiting on some final testing done by Sid over down our way.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:58 PM
Kelly W
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used the eagle tree unit for years. It does exactly what you're looking for. You can program in the equivalent of a stall horn on the ground based terminal, as well as an upper speed limit alarm. There's a whole bunch of other good stuff in there too. Only thing I'd question is the GPS unit. They've updated it since I bought it, and the new one has a higher frame rate, but the older version of the GPS sensor couldn't keep up that well at 200 ish in corners. Everything else is 5 starts outa' 5...

Kelly
Old 05-31-2013, 11:27 AM
Pete S-RCU

Thanks for the reply Kelly.
I'm looking at the Seagull Pro stuff, is that what you're using?
What I'd really like is a tone that increases in freq as you approach stall speed, ending with a steady tone when you've reached stall speed.
That way you could concentrate on landing with the tone giving a real time speed indication.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:50 AM
Gordon W

ORIGINAL: Pete S-RCU

I'm looking for a real time airspeed indicator that could be used to keep a jet just above stall speed on landing.
It should have a sound indicator that warns as stall speed is approached.
A beep that increases in frequency as you approach a stall?
Does anyone make one that could be used for this?
I've looked at a few, but would like to know if anyone has had first hand experience with one.

This could be just what you want - it actually speaks to you. It's taken me ages to hunt down the link!!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11461499/tm.htm

Gordon
Old 06-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Pete S-RCU

Thanks Gordon, this is what I'm looking for.
I will check into it.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Gordon W

I’m experimenting with the Spektrum telemetry ASI in my Boomerang Nano for defining a suitable landing approach speed.

The system allows you to set an alarm for a max Vne airspeed and also for a lowest desired airspeed Vmin. The alarm can be a tone or Tx vibrator or both. If the airspeed falls below Vmin the alarm sounds, and if you then increase the airspeed above Vmin, the alarm stops, re-starting when speed falls below Vmin again. On initial switch-on the alarm sounds, but pressing the clear button on the Tx mutes it until the airspeed reduces below Vmin in flight.

I initially guesstimated a stall speed of about 30mph, so set the approach speed to 35mph, but the alarm didn’t sound until the plane was on the ground. I re-set the Vmin alarm speed to 39mph, which seems to be the sweet spot for the Nano, though I need to do some more testing as I’ve only had a few flights so far. Once the alarm sounds, I know that I’m not going to land the jet too fast.

Once I’m happy, I’ll install the system on my Fox-Composites Hawk, which lands much hotter than the Nano, and I hope the system will be of greater benefit in the smaller faster Hawk.

Gordon
Old 06-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Pete S-RCU

I'm using a JR 9303 xmitr and I'm using all nine channels.
Could use one more if had it available.
I think the specktrum only has eight channels, if they had a nine chan rec it would be a good system for me.
I am flying a Ziroli Panther that flies very nice, but bounces on landing if too fast, so the speed indicator would be nice.
Of course too slow and that's trouble too, although the stall is gentle, I've banged up the LG a few times.

So, I'm looking at the available options.