Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Caldera 10e oil-filled shocks

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:14 AM
jcjrogers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caldera 10e oil-filled shocks

Do the Caldera 10e shocks ship with oil already in the shocks (original shocks with the vehicle, not replacement). I've read where people have received RC cars with oil-filled shocks that shipped without any oil. When just pushing down on the chassi, my shocks stick some around the middle of the shocks' extension (doesn't seem to stick at the point where the shocks are fully-depressed, but somewhere in the middle between fully depressed and fully extended). I understand how to adjust the shocks, but wondered if I needed to fill with oil. I would check myself, but don't know how to and don't know what type of oil to add if there was no oil. Also, how firm should I set my shocks?
Old 06-02-2013, 11:14 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Caldera 10e oil-filled shocks

ORIGINAL: jcjrogers

Do the Caldera 10e shocks ship with oil already in the shocks (original shocks with the vehicle, not replacement). I've read where people have received RC cars with oil-filled shocks that shipped without any oil. When just pushing down on the chassi, my shocks stick some around the middle of the shocks' extension (doesn't seem to stick at the point where the shocks are fully-depressed, but somewhere in the middle between fully depressed and fully extended). I understand how to adjust the shocks, but wondered if I needed to fill with oil. I would check myself, but don't know how to and don't know what type of oil to add if there was no oil. Also, how firm should I set my shocks?
its hard to explain how to fill shocks with words, but there are youtube vids showing how.
I doubt that your shocks are empty, but many RTR models ship with shocks not 100% full. Even 5% of the oil missing will cause the shocks not to work properly.
Shock oil can be bought online or at hobby shops. 35-40weight is common for 1/10 scale RC's.
Once you find a video on youtube showing how, you will see its not hard to do and you can top off the fluid yourself.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:26 AM
jcjrogers

Great info.  I did the search and watched some videos... good thing I did because I never would have thought about air creating a problem. 

Old 06-03-2013, 02:00 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: jcjrogers

Great info. I did the search and watched some videos... good thing I did because I never would have thought about air creating a problem.

yeh, you gotta move the shock up and down as you add oil, otherwise you trap air and it wont work right.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:30 PM
PetRock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few things that could cause what you're seeing:
    [*]The shocks shouldn't be fully extending when the truck is on flat ground with a battery in it: it should sag a few mm into the springs (so they may not be sticking around the middle)[/list]
      [*]Try taking the shocks off the truck: do they still stick? If not... then it may be the suspension arms and linkages that are causing the mid-stroke binding (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5U-CGrEN7I)[/list]
        [*]The bottom oring retainer is always screwed on too tight (on both my Shredder and Caldera) and the bottom orings are installed totally dry. Take the springs off the shocks and move the pistons in-and-out with your hands: only screw down the retainer tight enough that you barely feel resistance: don't worry the shocks won't leak (https://www.mikekirk.org/wordpress/spring-in-your-step/). It's easiest to feel this change with no oil in it, but do whatever's convenient.[/list] 
Old 06-07-2013, 09:24 AM
jcjrogers

Great info.  I'm learning a little at a time.  Cars are a lot different than helis (I guess I'm stating the obvious).  There is a mechanical and performance element that seems pretty important even at the novice level.  With helis, you have to be a pretty darned good pilot before the "performance" enhancements matter and mechanically speaking, the adjustments have more to do with simply leveling or balancing.