Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Joe Nall Incident

Old 06-07-2013, 08:04 AM
gjmjoe017
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joe Nall Incident

A friend of mine took his beautiful Top Flite P-47 there this year.He spent two years on the build and added a lot of scale detail.$3,000 in the project.He was flying the pattern an he and his spotter noticed another plane flying along with him.Mike decided to just hold his position and continue in the pattern.About the time of that thought,the other pilot does an alieron roll right into Mikes P-47 sending it to the ground and destroyed.Mike was so upset he walked away to collect his thoughts.Someone came up and told him that the other pilot said Mike flew into him.It turns out this other pilot is a Futaba Team Pilot.Mike confronted him and he admitted that he flew into Mike.Mike let them know he expected to be reimbersed for the loss.He was told they would get back,to date nothing and no respones from his calls to them.Just doesn't seem right.And by the way,Mike has been a loyal Futaba user for years.Will be interesting to see if Futaba does the right thing.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:24 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Joe Nall Incident

Thread moved from: All Forums >> RC Airplanes >> Events, Shows and Fun Fly's - Airplanes [/b]

[/b]
Old 06-07-2013, 04:40 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Dude, unless the guy admitted to intentionally trying to crash your buddies plane,, it was just bad luck.. Time to man up and let it go, it's just a toy airplane
Old 06-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Futaba didn't smash your buddy's plane.  If any restitution is to be made it would be from the other pilot. 

Usually though such things are considered accidental.  Don't fly what you can't shrug off if lost.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Seriously, a new airplane because of a mid-air? Time for a new hobby.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:22 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

I would be very mad too but it's a given risk when flying with others, I don't think you can really do anything about it, and if you did it's not Futaba's fault it's the pilot's.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:26 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mid-airs are a part of R/C. If neither pilot was doing something stupid or against the rules, it's no fault. Sorry, but's the just the way it's always been.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:45 PM
abelard

Futaba didn't smash your buddy's plane.
Well, that might depend on whether "Futaba team pilot" means the pilot was on Futaba's payroll. If it does, and if the pilot did something that incurred liability, Futaba owns at least some of it.

Welcome to the age of lawyers.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Bill G

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Dude, unless the guy admitted to intentionally trying to crash your buddies plane,, it was just bad luck.. Time to man up and let it go, it's just a toy airplane
Hard to say without being there. I have been at fields where other pilots clearly decide to fly along near you, when they have acres of area to keep a bit of distance. That darn near is intentionally trying to crash into other airplanes. Unless someone specifically asks to fly in formation with a person, then most flyers I've ever talked with consider being tailed as harassment. If a pilot tails another pilot closely, overtakes them closely, and then makes a move that puts them into the previously leading pilot, then they should pay. Why? Because if they don't, then they will keep doing it, and will crash into more people. It also may prevent having to call the police and/or medics when someone assaults another person who does that kind of thing. There's no need to overtake people closely, with all that room up there. Again I don't know what happened, but I've seen the scenario that I've described countless times, along with near misses.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:18 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hold his position, does that mean that he was all over the blue skies doing the same thing. And maybe by stopping and holding he forced the incident. Maybe Mike was hit with the slammimg on of the brakes and holding your position right in front of him. Maybe Mike walked away pissed thinking why the F did he just stop right in front of me.

These type of arguments are total bull zhit. It's a hobby, we all take that risk. How about in the future all events only allow one plane in the air at a time. That is what is possible if these types of complaining, boo hooing, it's not fair, complaints go to far.  If you can't afford to lose it, don't but it, don't fly it.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:11 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It seems totally incredible that two airplanes in a pattern can collide even if one decides to perform a roll, however I've never been to a huge event and anymore than 4-5 decent sized planes in the air at the same time would devalue the flying experience for the pilots. I'd much rather watch, than spend 10 minutes flying a pattern hoping I don't run into the back of something or something doesn't run into the back of me.

Running two flight lines in pattern has brought about it's own fair share of midairs. It seems the "precision" nature of their flying often puts two aircraft the same distance out from the strip at the same height traveling in opposite directions [X(]

Terrible loss, but it'd be a tough call to argue any compensation just because the other guy was wearing a team Futaba shirt, he'd probably be lucky to get "his" equipment back of of Futaba either...
Old 06-08-2013, 01:59 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bill G

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

Hard to say without being there. I have been at fields where other pilots clearly decide to fly along near you, when they have acres of area to keep a bit of distance. That darn near is intentionally trying to crash into other airplanes. Unless someone specifically asks to fly in formation with a person, then most flyers I've ever talked with consider being tailed as harassment. If a pilot tails another pilot closely, overtakes them closely, and then makes a move that puts them into the previously leading pilot, then they should pay. Why? Because if they don't, then they will keep doing it, and will crash into more people. It also may prevent having to call the police and/or medics when someone assaults another person who does that kind of thing. There's no need to overtake people closely, with all that room up there. Again I don't know what happened, but I've seen the scenario that I've described countless times, along with near misses.
If we're ever at the same field,, let me know when you're taking off if I'm flying,, I'll land

If "mike" didn't go to Nall, the accident wouldn't have happened,, he's responsible too,, who's going to judge what level each party is responsible??

And Just because a guy gets Free or Discounted cost equipment from Futaba, doesn't make Futaba responsible for the guys plane.

What's wrong with people these days??

Old 06-08-2013, 03:54 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 341 Likes on 273 Posts

I was standing there when it happened. The flight line was busy, planes were flying the pattern and bam. Scott was shooting video though he wasn't sure if he captured the crash or the aftermath.

That said, when asked what happened immediately after, the guy flying the Corsair said he had no idea what happened, he was flying along and bam.

It sucks for both parties but these things happen
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70533.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	1889845  
Old 06-08-2013, 03:56 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Instead of the choice Mike made of "holding position" Mike could have made a choice of maneuvering away from the other pilot. Clear lines of communication should always be open at the flight line between the pilot, his spotter, and the other's on the flight line. Seems as though communication broke down in this instance, and all involved are at fault, including Mike and his spotter.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:46 AM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

I have flown all types of Airplanes & Warbirds for a quite some'time' now!! and I have flown at busy flightlines such as Bomber field & Muskogee !! I have flown in a many a Warbird gaggle with no problem at all!! Have even flown TIGHT formation with other Fighters and Bombers!! To pull up in tight formation with another bird and do Aielron Rolls is sheer STUPIDITY!! Sounds like to me a 3D hotshot from Futaba gotta hold of some'one' elses Warbird and thought it was a 35% Carden 260!! Communications is the key to formation flights!! Just ask Lyle & Steve or go watch them at Warbirds over the Rockies!! Man I gotta make that event this year!!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:00 AM
Mpizpilot
My Feedback: (45)

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: daleflysrc

I have flown all types of Airplanes & Warbirds for a quite some'time' now!! and I have flown at busy flightlines such as Bomber field & Muskogee !! I have flown in a many a Warbird gaggle with no problem at all!! Have even flown TIGHT formation with other Fighters and Bombers!! To pull up in tight formation with another bird and do Aielron Rolls is sheer STUPIDITY!! Sounds like to me a 3D hotshot from Futaba gotta hold of some'one' elses Warbird and thought it was a 35% Carden 260!! Communications is the key to formation flights!! Just ask Lyle & Steve or go watch them at Warbirds over the Rockies!! Man I gotta make that event this year!!
Amazing your able to turn this into a 3D sucks argument. That ranks number 1 on the silly scale. Give me a break.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:43 AM
gjmjoe017

Thanks for the replys guys,but I made it clear in my post what happened.When your flying along someone,you don't do a roll,not saying he did it on purpose,but it caused the crash.Mike was holding his line for safety untill he could make some space between his plane and the other.I was raised that when you damage some elses propety you replace it,but hey,that's just me.To each his own.Everyone is entitled to their opinon,but I will say again,if I fly into your plane and destroy it,you can bet I'll reimburse you for the loss.Someone said on here it's just a toy plane,get over it.Yea right,$3,000 scale plane is a little more than that.Not trying to throw mud at Futaba,but I would think they would at least respond to him.
Old 06-08-2013, 06:16 AM
astrohog

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$3,000.00 is hardly a princely sum for a large, scale warbird. More like the MINIMUM cost for one.

If you can't afford to pay, don't play!

Astro
Old 06-08-2013, 06:31 AM
gjmjoe017

You guys are making me realize the next time I am driving down a busy street and someone pulls out and hits me,tough luck,I shouldn't have been driving on a busy street!
Old 06-08-2013, 07:01 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to agree with the logic, mid air's are a part of flying. Why is none of the blame being put on the spotters or the lack of spotters on the flight line. Sorry for the loss of 2 nice planes, but it sounds like 2 planes on the same course with a not so very good ending. Dave
Old 06-08-2013, 07:24 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

If I spent 2 years and $3,000.00 builing an airplane, I'd sure as hell not risk it on a busy day like that.The ego isn't thatimportantfor me to have to fly it in rush hour. For some of us $3,000.00 is a ton of money unlike some that think that's pocket change.
Either way, as everyone has stated in this thread, flying from a ground position involves risk and possible loss. If that plane had lost an elevator are you going to blame the tree the balsa came from?
It's Joe Nall and some of the best aircraft and pilots in the world are there. Who is to say that the Corsair's spotter wasn't watching for other planes as he could have?
Mid-air collisions are going to happen when more than one plane is in the air. This is a given rule in this hobby. If you can't live with that fact, you might want to consider Legos.
If you are childish enough to compare operation of an automobile to the hobby of flying, you need to grow up. The day we start drivng our cars to work while sitting with a controler on our porches is a little far fetched for comparison sake.
Buy your buddy a nice box of kleenex and quit with the wah wah.
That other pilot had NOintention of losing his plane or the Corsair.
Old 06-08-2013, 07:25 AM
Gixxy
My Feedback: (18)

Oh the old who's fault is it midair thread. This one is sure to get figured out without argument ;p
Old 06-08-2013, 07:55 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Believe it or not there are bullies and stupid people in our hobby.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:07 AM
colmo-RCU

+1

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

If I spent 2 years and $3,000.00 builing an airplane, I'd sure as hell not risk it on a busy day like that. The ego isn't that important for me to have to fly it in rush hour. For some of us $3,000.00 is a ton of money unlike some that think that's pocket change.
Either way, as everyone has stated in this thread, flying from a ground position involves risk and possible loss. If that plane had lost an elevator are you going to blame the tree the balsa came from?
It's Joe Nall and some of the best aircraft and pilots in the world are there. Who is to say that the Corsair's spotter wasn't watching for other planes as he could have?
Mid-air collisions are going to happen when more than one plane is in the air. This is a given rule in this hobby. If you can't live with that fact, you might want to consider Legos.
If you are childish enough to compare operation of an automobile to the hobby of flying, you need to grow up. The day we start drivng our cars to work while sitting with a controler on our porches is a little far fetched for comparison sake.
Buy your buddy a nice box of kleenex and quit with the wah wah.
That other pilot had NO intention of losing his plane or the Corsair.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:37 AM
gjmjoe017

ORIGINAL: flycatch

Believe it or not there are bullies and stupid people in our hobby.
And a lot of them on here!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.