Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

problems with new dle20

Old 06-05-2013, 07:26 PM
tardster
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with new dle20

Well I decided I wanted to switch over from glow to gas, the prices are about the same and running gas is cheaper. I have 3 60 sized planes that I've been running 90 sized 4strokes and the newest is the top flite P-47. I've read several threads where the dle 20 is a perfect fit without destroying the cowl so I figured I'd go ahead and pull the trigger on it. Once I got the dle 20 I mounted it and set everything up and that's where my problems started. I couldn't get the engine to start unless I squirted gas in the carb and then it would die once that ran out. I took the electronic ignition off and looked in the plug cap and noticed the little spring at the top was half showing so I figured that was bad. I called Tower up and they sent me out a replacement ignition. Once the ignition came in I switched them out and the same thing happens, it will only run if I squirt gas in the carb and it dies once it runs out. So I called Tower and they sent me a shipping label so I could send it in to get it looked at and fixed. Has anyone else had any issues like this? Normally I try not to get worked up but I also expect the issues to happen after a couple years, not right out of the box lol...
Old 06-05-2013, 07:39 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: problems with new dle20

did you adjust the needles to see if they are at least at the factory settings (adjustments will still need to be made once its up and running) is your fuel line of a color were u can see the fuel drawing when you are attempting to start the motor? have u tried to put an electric starter on it to start it?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:46 PM
kerwin50

That spring is just a ground. I suspect it's your plumbing. If not then loosen the 4 screws on your carb, blow into your vent line. this will wet the carb diaphram.
BTW you do have a vent line don't you. You will also need to use a felt clunk with this motor.
I use a 3 line set up on mine as this will keep in air from entering the fuel line from the tank to the carb.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:47 PM
kerwin50

Also I set both my needle to 1 1/2 . once warmed then I adjust them
Old 06-05-2013, 07:47 PM
tardster

kraayzc, yea I did check everything over and I'm using the yellow gas fuel tubing but you can still see through it. I even went as far moving the fuel tank around to see if that was the problem.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:52 PM
kerwin50

BTW I'm only 3 1/2 hours from you. I know I can get it going for you.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:53 PM
tardster

Kerwin, I did not try blowing in anything, since this is my first gas engine I didn't want to take any chances. Yes I do have a vent line and I'm running a 3 line set up on this, I did everything by the book except for running it on a test stand before putting it in the plane. With all the stuff I've read and heard I didn't think I would need to but as always with me my luck I'm not surprised lol.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:55 PM
kerwin50

here's a video of me flying my DLE 20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdyCNkxKfSQ
Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 PM
kerwin50

it sounds like she just may need that diaphram wetted. Loosen those 4 screws blow into the vent till gas come out the cover and then tighten the cover. many times a carb won't pump is the diaphram is too dry.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:01 PM
tardster

I wish I would have posted this earlier so I could have tried that, right now it's on its way back to Tower so they can check it out.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:04 PM
kerwin50

Well I'm sure they will get it all straighen out for you. Do you fly with a club? It looks like your right on the way when I go visit my daughter in alanta
Old 06-05-2013, 09:15 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tardster

I wish I would have posted this earlier so I could have tried that, right now it's on its way back to Tower so they can check it out.
Still don't no if you adjusted your carb.
BCCHI
Old 06-05-2013, 09:58 PM
chuck201111
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Tardster, Just a little info...BCCHI has forgotten more about these small gassers than most people know !!
Old 06-06-2013, 04:19 AM
ahicks

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: tardster

Well I decided I wanted to switch over from glow to gas, the prices are about the same and running gas is cheaper. I have 3 60 sized planes that I've been running 90 sized 4strokes and the newest is the top flite P-47. I've read several threads where the dle 20 is a perfect fit without destroying the cowl so I figured I'd go ahead and pull the trigger on it. Once I got the dle 20 I mounted it and set everything up and that's where my problems started. I couldn't get the engine to start unless I squirted gas in the carb and then it would die once that ran out. I took the electronic ignition off and looked in the plug cap and noticed the little spring at the top was half showing so I figured that was bad. I called Tower up and they sent me out a replacement ignition. Once the ignition came in I switched them out and the same thing happens, it will only run if I squirt gas in the carb and it dies once it runs out. So I called Tower and they sent me a shipping label so I could send it in to get it looked at and fixed. Has anyone else had any issues like this? Normally I try not to get worked up but I also expect the issues to happen after a couple years, not right out of the box lol...
On the bold, there's a learning curve involved with gas. Some take to them like a duck to water, while others with no experience at all to call on seem to struggle at first. Eventually though they get it all worked out and enjoy them like everyone else. The smaller engines like the 20 don't help a bit, especially a new one that's never had any gas in the carb. There's a couple small check valves in them that don't work well until they get wet. That's going to make it tough to prime, to get that gas up to and moving through the carb. You can expect it to be kinda picky on it's needle settings too. A little patience there will be required. If you can, some help from somebody that's been there, done that might save some frustration. Expect your ground carb settings to need tweaking once you get it in the air. The absolute best you can do on the ground will leave you close, but not spot on. That's typical gas though, not particular to the 20.

Welcome, and best of luck! -Al
Old 06-06-2013, 08:43 AM
djstar39
My Feedback: (4)

Sorry for this really silly question but are you closing the choke to prime it? I have a new DLE-20 as well in a TF P-40 and it started right up for me. I move the throttle trim up, choke it, turn the switch on and hit it with the electric starter. Once it pops, I open the choke and hit it with the starter again and it starts right up. Never touched the needles.

Dave
Old 06-06-2013, 06:51 PM
tardster

Hey guys, no I didn't mess with the carb any. The directions say they are preset, I know that they need to be adjusted but that really only works good if the engine starts lol. I did choke the engine and stuff, the people at tower think it could be that it's not pumping or should I say pulling fuel into the carb. I've got probably 10-12 years flying so I kind of have a bit of experience with planes and stuff but as with all new stuff I do it as the directions say just to make sure if I run into any problems I didn't void the warranty. I hope when I get it back it works good because I'd like to switch over so I can start saving on the gas and use it to go bigger.
Old 06-06-2013, 06:54 PM
tes21966

ORIGINAL: djstar39

Sorry for this really silly question but are you closing the choke to prime it? I have a new DLE-20 as well in a TF P-40 and it started right up for me. I move the throttle trim up, choke it, turn the switch on and hit it with the electric starter. Once it pops, I open the choke and hit it with the starter again and it starts right up. Never touched the needles.

Dave
djstar,

Not a silly question at all. With my first gasser, not using my choke was the step I was missing and my problem sounded identical to tardster's right down to squirting gas in the carb. Man did I feel silly when a club member started the engine on the 3rd flip after showing me what I was not doing.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 AM
tardster

I agree that's not silly at all and I've done silly stuff like that before. My latest silly thing was not double checking my servo set up. Back in Dec. I got one of the 60 sized Corsair arf tower had on special. I put it together and got it all ready, then the first chance I got to take it up I crashed it. At first I thought I tip stalled it but I realized what I did once I got it home and started fixing it. As I was going through everything I realized I had the aileron reversed so instead of saving the plane as it tipped over I drove it into the ground lol...
Old 06-07-2013, 07:13 PM
kerwin50

Well no matter what the needles are set at I always set mine at 1 1/2 and then tune.
These engines always need to be tuned.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:11 PM
tardster

Just a quick update, I checked the link on the status of my engine repair and it says the estimated completion date is the 23rd. There wasn't any comments from the techs or anything like that so who knows.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:09 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: chuck201111

Hi Tardster, Just a little info...BCCHI has forgotten more about these small gassers than most people know !!
Thanks ,I think all he had to do was open the carb needles. We have a flyer here that just cannot get onto the gas motors.I can get his motors running good on Sat and by Sun he will have them screwed up,says he is going back to glo. I hope so,I give up.
You can not no how little I really care.The more I am around people the better I like my dog and cat,wife is OK for 58 years.
BCCHI
Old 06-13-2013, 02:52 AM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

I am not a lover of people either,they always want something of you.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: bcchi

ORIGINAL: chuck201111

Thanks ,I think all he had to do was open the carb needles. We have a flyer here that just cannot get onto the gas motors.I can get his motors running good on Sat and by Sun he will have them screwed up,says he is going back to glo. I hope so,I give up.
You can not no how little I really care.The more I am around people the better I like my dog and cat,wife is OK for 58 years.
BCCHI
Cheer up Bill, lots of people appreciate your advice.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:32 AM
tardster

Well guys, I'm suppose to get my engine back today from being repaired. I emailed them and asked what was the problem and I was told that they replaced the EI again. I know I know nothing about the gas engines but that is EI number 3 for this engine in the month I've had it and the last 2 weeks it's been in the repair shop so it makes me wonder what is really wrong with this. I emailed the tech who worked on the engine to see if he actually ran the engine but I haven't heard back from him yet. Has anyone else ran into something like this before?
Old 06-25-2013, 10:52 AM
ameyam

Don't know if yours a engine or tank related pro lem. Had a similar one when I returned to flying with my dle last season. I was using a starter with the idle removed & it wouldn't fire. I closed the choke & it fired & sustained but it wouldn't fire again when choke was opened. Worked out idle was so low it wasnt getting fuel. in your case I would do the basics
plug ignition battery directly, not through a switch
use a ngk or rcexcl plug
use a onboard tach to make sure I didn't have a loose or misconnected battery
use a electric starter
would choke start the engine first
would start at 50% throttle stick (with someone holding)
use a replacement ignition. its well documented that the #4 dle ignition has a step curve
make sure the plumbing is correct & the vent unplugged
would check the filter membrane for debris (already deadsticked once that way)
If all the above checks out, then there's an engine problem

Ameyam

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.