Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pro link strut sag help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pro link strut sag help

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 05:32 AM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Pro link strut sag help

I have a Bandit ARF with prolink struts. I just installed the strongest spring that Dreamworks sells and still have the saging when retracted and rubing the pocket. I,m trying zip ties to hold them straight. I do not think the tie will hold up. Has any one used saftey wire in a tube or a half shell tube against the spring? If I just use wire it would slip between the coils under load. Thanks Dan Avilla
Old 06-07-2013, 07:04 AM
Bravo77

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Pro link strut sag help

I have the same problem, What I did was laser weld a few of the coils at the top and bottom and it helps . Laser welding is good as it does not impart heat on the coils and cause them to soften. Prolink need to address this problem , I have spent many dollars on this problem and every few flights have to change the springs . I do not know how long the welded ones

Good luck
Old 06-07-2013, 07:44 AM
STKNRUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Squirrelboyblue

Prolink need to address this problem , I have spent many dollars on this problem and every few flights have to change the springs .

Good luck

+1
Old 06-07-2013, 07:53 AM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I did rubber o ring from end to end from top to bottom .
Old 06-07-2013, 08:03 AM
patf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

sorry, not applicable
Old 06-07-2013, 09:09 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Dan,

For me this is a weak point of these extension spring designs, keeping the strut straight during retraction. If you figure something out I would love to hear it.

Some of the newer designs that have a compression spring are nice, also I think Tam has a strut that has a different angle on the spring, providing more spring force to hold the strut in full extension.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Greg G
My Feedback: (5)

I found that even the "heavy" springs on the small pro-link struts tend to get overstressed pretty quickly and then allow quite a bit of travel that tends to bounce you back into the air. I added some rubber bands to the hinge point of the struts.I have had several flights with them there and I much prefer the feel and damping on landings. The bands add to the spring force and also limit the travel more without a hard stop. They don't look that pretty, but they do help.

I still have to replace the springs when they get overstresses but less often. My sport jet is ~17.5lb dry and I think~22.5lbs at TO.

I used 1 #84 Rubber band per strut and wound it two turns and held the ends together with a small nylon tyrap.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73565.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1889598  
Old 06-07-2013, 09:36 AM
niteman

Hi Dan and others

Have dealt with this problem many times with the bandits I've had as I fly off a really tough grass field.

The good news is if you are using Dreamworks heavier duty small bandit springs and they are the ones you have stretched (must be the HD spring) then simply remove the springs upper 10/32 retainer screw and use a piece of 10/32 threaded rod (I like aluminum) or a 10/32 steel or aluminum screw and JB weld (not the 5 minute stuff, overnight stuff) into the existing hole - once dry dremel cut flush or grind flush etc... Then re-drill a hole right next to it and blunt tap it with a 10/32" tap re-attach the spring to the new upper screw hole and your done.

Should stay good for many many flights if not for good. The spring only "stretches" to a certain point and thats it from my experience. Remember to first rescrew the spring into the new 10/32" hole then attempt to stretch the spring and insert the small set pin in the joint with the e-clips etc...

Remember it only works well with the HD springs for the bandit strut.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

My Bandit is also grounded this weekend for ProLinks, but i blame the Really rough grass field i fly from. my struts just totally wore out where both strut half meet and the shoulder bolt have excessive play, I used Heavy springs from Dreamworks also.
I was thinking on buying the struts Todd make for the reaction, they look a lot more sturdy than the ones used on the bandit. They are the same height but i would have to put them in a lathe to reduce where the strut mounts to the retract. I think these would hold up a lot better than the these we have.
BTW these are "0" offset so they should line up better with the wheel well.
let me us know what you think about this idea.

http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/reac...ruts-p-28.html
Old 06-07-2013, 10:04 AM
niteman

Already have done that and it works well, except even those larger springs will stretch and not return to center. Also the reaction struts do to the thickness will stick out above the wing skin a good 1/8"+. Not a problem if you don't have inner doors - just strut covers.

Best in my opinion is get a new set of Bandit stuts with the heavy duty springs - let them stretch one or two good flying sessions and they will stretch right away - then follow my above post.

It is a long term fix unless you really pound it in the ground then you have more problems then just the struts !

Also I do grease the pins with the e-clips and lubricate the active joint with tri-flow or Wd-40 etc....... clean every so often and re lube help stop the metal to metal wear and tear.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Not a Bandit nor Pro-Links but I had the same problem with Tams struts where I was always over stretching the HD springs. Bought lighter springs from McMaster, cut to length and they're better. Of course the trailing arm goes to full deflection more often and the struts bend a little more just sitting there, but they never over stretch now and I don't have to bother with them.

I think the real problem is the HD springs aren't long enough to allow full extension without exceeding their "elastic" limit and taking a set. Any spring experts out there??

Old 06-07-2013, 10:19 AM
niteman

Reaction Struts on my Bandit................

Name:	Pn35581.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1889608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26456.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	1889609  
Old 06-07-2013, 10:27 AM
number27

I don't see how the Bandit struts differ from the reaction struts. Appear similar in appearance. I have Reaction struts on a Reaction x 2 and find the Prolinks wear around the shoulder bolt and you end up with excessive movement the e clips come off etc. I previously posted about this issue but was advised I was the odd one out as over 500 sets of Reaction OLEO's had been sold no one else had the same problem. Other jet enthusiasts at our club have the same issues spring sag and shoulder bolt area wear. Now I see others having some issues.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:49 AM
STKNRUD

Same problem I've had with e clips and shoulder bolt.

ORIGINAL: number27

I don't see how the Bandit struts differ from the reaction struts. Appear similar in appearance. I have Reaction struts on a Reaction x 2 and find the Prolinks wear around the shoulder bolt and you end up with excessive movement the e clips come off etc. I previously posted about this issue but was advised I was the odd one out as over 500 sets of Reaction OLEO's had been sold no one else had the same problem. Other jet enthusiasts at our club have the same issues spring sag and shoulder bolt area wear. Now I see others having some issues.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:57 PM
Kenrico

Niteman, thanks for the info, really appreciate it. Its not that much of the spring stretch thats buggin me but the wear from the metal to metal, when this happens then the wheels bend inwards causing one side of the rubber to wear more. i dont use inward or strut doors one the bandit so im definately going with the reaction struts as they seem to have more suface where the metal wears and would prob last longer than the ones i have now.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:50 PM
STKNRUD

ORIGINAL: Thud_Driver

Not a Bandit nor Pro-Links but I had the same problem with Tams struts where I was always over stretching the HD springs. Bought lighter springs from McMaster, cut to length and they're better. Of course the trailing arm goes to full deflection more often and the struts bend a little more just sitting there, but they never over stretch now and I don't have to bother with them.

I think the real problem is the HD springs aren't long enough to allow full extension without exceeding their ''elastic'' limit and taking a set. Any spring experts out there??

I think it is kind of a 'chicken or the egg' sort of thing. If the springs are more elastic, they don't pull the strut to a full extension on retraction which causes the tire to rub the inside of the wheel well. It is just a lack of any leverage of the spring to pull the strut straight on retraction. I am going to try the rubber o-ring suggestion which sound like it might help that issue.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:02 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Guys

I have an Electra and has the same problem. But about the bandit, I am not sure how you all made the pro-link fit nicely. I have set mine with stock legs from BVM and asked and they said that the pro-link is a straight bolt on. So I ordered them and tried to mount them. I found that first I would have to re-do the flex plate. Second,have to remove some material from the former and the channel for them to fit. Am I doing anything wrong? Also, I don't think the doors fit.

One more, the King Cat has the same sagging issue.

Thanks

Behzad
Old 06-07-2013, 02:08 PM
saddler
My Feedback: (93)

Super Bandit struts! That is the simplest fix. I had pro- link struts on my first bandit arf. Got really sick of changing springs and having the tires worn at an angle all of the time. Switched to Super Bandit struts and never looked back. I fly off of grass the majority of the time btw. Also, do the mods to the gear mounts that bv offers. In addition, I cut a piece of 1/16 ply and glue to the top skin in the gear area to save the top skin in the event of a really botched landing where the flex plate completely breaks. It works, i have tested it. Worst case, you will have to replace flex plates every once in a while.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:16 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: STKNRUD

ORIGINAL: Thud_Driver

I think the real problem is the HD springs aren't long enough to allow full extension without exceeding their ''elastic'' limit and taking a set. Any spring experts out there??

I think it is kind of a 'chicken or the egg' sort of thing. If the springs are more elastic, they don't pull the strut to a full extension on retraction which causes the tire to rub the inside of the wheel well. It is just a lack of any leverage of the spring to pull the strut straight on retraction. I am going to try the rubber o-ring suggestion which sound like it might help that issue.
Actually, I'm not having much trouble with that as the spring is set to hold the strut straight but has enough give not to take a set when fully flexed. More coils of slightly smaller diameter wire at a slightly larger spring diameter and doesn't have that hard stainless shine.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Kenrico

ORIGINAL: saddler

Super Bandit struts! That is the simplest fix. I had pro- link struts on my first bandit arf. Got really sick of changing springs and having the tires worn at an angle all of the time. Switched to Super Bandit struts and never looked back. I fly off of grass the majority of the time btw. Also, do the mods to the gear mounts that bv offers. In addition, I cut a piece of 1/16 ply and glue to the top skin in the gear area to save the top skin in the event of a really botched landing where the flex plate completely breaks. It works, i have tested it. Worst case, you will have to replace flex plates every once in a while.
I wonder what is the difference between the Super Bandit struts and the Bandit Arf struts ?? I have a pair of stock Barf duro struts.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:20 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi, are you talking about super bandit struts from BVM?

Thanks, Behzad
Old 06-07-2013, 03:21 PM
saddler
My Feedback: (93)

ORIGINAL: DUCMOZ

Thanks, Behzad
Yes, the Super Bandit struts from BVM. They have the scissor link unlike the bandit arf struts. They are much smoother than the barf struts. There is no pic of them on the BVM website.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:13 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Well the zip tie was a mistake. It caused the spring to bind and bent the ear of the spring. I'm going to use Nightmans idea and move the bolt.  Dan
Old 06-07-2013, 08:42 PM
Kenrico

ORIGINAL: DUCMOZ

Thanks, Behzad
Yes, the Super Bandit struts from BVM. They have the scissor link unlike the bandit arf struts. They are much smoother than the barf struts. There is no pic of them on the BVM website.
your Absolutely right, if you go in the Super Bandit page on BVM there is this pics with the Struts. Ill send a PM to Dusting and see what he says.

Name:	Xv63150.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1889809  
Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 PM
DENTO

ORIGINAL: Kenrico

Niteman, thanks for the info, really appreciate it. Its not that much of the spring stretch thats buggin me but the wear from the metal to metal, when this happens then the wheels bend inwards causing one side of the rubber to wear more. i dont use inward or strut doors one the bandit so im definately going with the reaction struts as they seem to have more suface where the metal wears and would prob last longer than the ones i have now.
Metal to metal far to soft maybe you would think they would use a better quality aluminium like aircraft or better I,am having all the trouble that is talked about in this thread If you have a look at the new gear that PST have, its spring is set at a better angle and pulls the bottom of the oleo or below the hinge point back more if you understand me, Iam not the sharpest tool in the shed but can see the problem,s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.