Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

VQ 60 Size Hurricane with DLE 20

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

VQ 60 Size Hurricane with DLE 20

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:18 PM
ZERO-322
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VQ 60 Size Hurricane with DLE 20

Bean I know what your saying about the noise factor during the bench testing for the scale exhaust on my zero I used a 26cc CRRC and it was loud however the stock muffler and the exhaust quieted that puppy quite a bit and the tach actually showed a slight increase in RPM every setup is different I guess

what was the finish dry weight of your hurricane ?
Old 03-03-2011, 07:40 PM
RBean

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Finished weight of the Hurricane is 10 lbs, one oz. Its way over powered. The DLE 20 will be plenty of power for the Zero, even at 1/3 more weight. The Zero seems to be one of those planes that really doesn't NEED that much power to fly good.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:16 PM
91zulu

Sure would, there is the aluiminum and copper flex used to connect gas stoves to the gas line in your house.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:16 PM
91zulu

Here it is
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20035.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1573271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95567.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1573272  
Old 12-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Joespeeder

Hey Guys,

I know this is an old thread but I'm in the middle of doing this conversion. I've been flying the Hurri on an Eflite 60 6s set up for several years and really enjoy the plane. However, I can't loiter like I want to with the other warbird guys flying gas or glow.

Since I'm tired of being the first one down I decided to go with a DLE-20 and a 10oz tank... That ought to give me time to fly!!

I've read and re-read this thread so many times it's not funny. Plus another guy in our club has a Hurri flying on the DLE-20. So I have lots of inspiration.

Thanks to a new muffler that Jtec has come out with it looks like I'm going to be able to stuff a pitts style muffler in the nose of the Hurri. I had contacted them about building me a compact pitts muffler about a year ago. I had other projects to complete and in the mean time they came out with one that is more compact than their Standard Wrap Around Pitts. THe other change I'm making is the use of 10oz tank. I found a Dubro 10oz Slant Nose tank fits and takes up less room than the 8oz tank since it's shorter. I'm not done with the throttle pushrod yet but I'm determined to make this work.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBFYV&P=1

On the DLE-20 thread there are good reports of the MAS 16x8X3 prop works good. However, you need to get an old one.... MAS changed the design to beef up the hub for gas engines. The new 16x8x3 don't unload as much and are not as good a match for the engine. I bought two old style props from a club member that had a twin he rekitted and these were extra props.

I will keep you posted as I progress. This is an old model now and very hard to find. But someone out there may be able to use some bit of my build.

Here's my pics.

Joe

Name:	Gd93578.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	1828630   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17414.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	1828631   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82811.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	1828632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36079.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	1828633   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35200.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	1828634   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32304.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1828635   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91760.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	1828636   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62047.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	1828637  

Old 12-10-2012, 03:03 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like your packing 50lbs of dirt in a 40lb bag.

Ain't it nice we've got companies like J-Tec that actually know what's being used and what's needed.

Looking forward to seeing a Hurri back in the air. Wish there was a modern one available.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:32 PM
RBean

Joespeeder, Thanks for posting. I didn't know about the new compact muffler from J-Tec. Does the muffler fit inside the VQ Hurricane cowling? Let me know how it does. I may get one to use on the Hurricane and patch up the big hole I cut in the cowling for the stock muffler. One word of caution, I installed a DLE 20 in a TF 60 size Mustang and used a J-Tec compact muffler which just fit. I had a lot of engine failures. It would run ok on ground but start acting up after flying a while. Turned out it was vapor lock. The carb getting too hot from being right above the muffler can. With proper ducting I was able to cure the problem. Had to duct air from the scope under the spinner to upper rear cowl and build an airdam in front of the air exit. It worked.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:06 PM
Joespeeder

Thanks Guys,

Yup it's tight in there.... The cowl will need to be cut on the bottom but not the sides. At least very little. My electric set up means I have that huge hatch that I need to reglue back on the cowl. You can see the old jumper in one shots, that is gone now. I fit the fill line and fuel dot tonight. Plus I added some shrink wrap to the end of the vent line as a protector and to change the color of the fuel line to black on it's exterior. Looks much better than having yellow gas line sticking out the bottom for my vent.

I have new throttle arms coming of different lengths that are very low profile. This will be very slick but very tight and I'll need to slowly fit each piece to make it all work.

Here's the low profile throttle arms I got from WrongWayRC http://shop.kavarootusa.com/product....1&categoryId=6

I bought all three lengths since it was cheaper than waiting if I got the wrong one.

RBean, I saw your P-51 saga and took note. Once I have all the working bits installed I am planing to get air to the carb one way or another. I even thought about sending the muffler to a ceramic coating place to contain the heat but that seems extreme. I've used the ceramic to keep heat off my feet in a aluminum tub but for a rc warbird it seems overkill... Funny Saito Gassers seem to have the same issue.

I would love to have another Hurri sitting ready for action. But they are rare now.

I'll post more pics as I progress.

Joe
Old 12-10-2012, 06:31 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good that you have the cowl parts to put back on. We almost always solve engine/muffler clearance problems by removing cowl. Bulging the cowl works sometimes too.

I've 'cut a hatch' before where a muffler corner needed room. Put it back on like it was a hatch that stood out a bit. It was on the side of the cowl and looked a devil of a lot better than a hole with shiny aluminum sticking through. The only time that technique looks bad is when you can see it in a profile view. We can see out of place lines in silhouette view instantly. We don't see anything out of place if it doesn't show up in silhouette.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:06 AM
Joespeeder

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd be done by now.... I got sick right after updating you and lost a couple of weeks.

I finally got back to the Hurri last weekend and got the hard bits done I think. I still have to glue/cut/fit the cowl, figure out the switch placements and battery.

But those are straight forward. The hard parts like running the throttle cable, fitting the 10oz fuel tank, and routing the choke linkage are done.

For the tank I had to relief an area "above the tank" for the fuel lines to sit in. You can also see the relief in the foam.

I spent a fair amount of time making sure I had level wood surfaces for the blind nuts to bite into and reinforcing the firewall box. Luckily I had done a bunch of reinforcing for the original electric set up. That was good and bad. Good to strengthen but I had to cut a channel for the throttle cable to run in and then glue it in place with an s curve to give room for the 10oz tank.

Now I can bolt the engine on and start to really assemble things.

While the pics don't look like much it took a fair amount of time to get the Hurri to this point. More pics as I progress.

Joe

Name:	Om32006.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1835408   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82923.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	1835409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49132.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1835410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31695.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1835411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23890.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1835412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23751.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1835413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92050.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1835414   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26312.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1835415  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77256.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1835416  
Old 12-31-2012, 01:47 PM
bonemadderek

Thanks for posting your refit on the vq Hurricane. I've just gotten one out of the UK and was thinking to put in a dle 20 as well although I'll probably end up chopping the cowl to fit the stock muffler if i do so, $130 is more than I want to pay for the jtech. Had a os 91 in a 46 sized vq Hurricane and found it to be a fun airframe.
Derek
Spitfire Brotherhood
Old 12-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Joespeeder

Hi bonemadderek,

The 60 sized Hurri is a great plane. Be sure to reinforce the firewall box onto the front of the plane. Once you do that it's a strong flyer.

Lot's of info on the Hurri here and at RCG's.

If you go with a DLE20 I'd suggest putting the throttle servo on the opposite side I did.... I had to really play with the cable to get my set up to work. If I had built the Hurri as a gasser the first time life would have been much more simple.

Knowing what I know now I would give the Saito FG-21 or a CH Ignition converted Satio 125 or ASP 120 a long look. Both for the sound and so that I can simplify my fuel choices as I make the conversion to gas as my primary fuel.

On both of those engines you could get pitts mufflers easily. Who knows, but the Keleo H9 Spitfire exhaust might sneak in there ????

I had the DLE20 so I need to use it.

I'll post more as I go.

Joe
Old 01-03-2013, 11:20 AM
Joespeeder

Hey Guys,

I dosen't look like much but I've been plugging away at the Hurri.... I painted the new reinforcements, then coated the outer firewall box with thinned epoxy, mounted the motor mount and used Loctite all over things.

I fit and rechecked the throttle cable action and choke linkage action. I need to make an L bracket for the choke but the engine is ready to be bolted in. I hope to get that done tonight.

I also fit the cowling and cut/ground opening for the head and exhaust. This included figuring out how to keep part of the hatch I had made for the previous electric setup. The new "improved set up will still include a hatch at the rear of the cowl which will allow some access to the ignition, carb and linkages. Although I don't know how useful it will be. It's easier to fit the cowl with the hatch so it'll stay.

A nice surprise are the bulkheads I had installed for the electric setup are still very useable. In fact the rear one creates a scoop to direct air to the the rear of the engine and the carb !! Nothing like dumb luck.

Here's a couple shots of the cowl taken with my phone.... Once I get it fitted for good I may add some paint to the cowl interior and the exhaust to make things blend together a little more. But so far I'm pleased with the compact look.

Joe

Name:	Xv64384.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	1836435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22663.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1836436   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13631.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1836437  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 PM
RBean

Looking good. I hope you have enough cooling air to the carb. However, after seeing how much cowling you had to cut out I don't think I will spend the money for the J'Tec muffler. I may make another straight pipe and use the baffle from I think Troy Built or maybe it was BP. Its only about $30 and does quieten it down some. Here is a picture of my KI 61 with that set up.

Name:	Ki18995.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	1836562   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14076.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1836563  
Old 01-03-2013, 07:26 PM
RBean

I have since filled in the opening behind the cylinder some and painted. Looks better now, just no pictures.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Joespeeder

Thanks RBean,

I think I'm OK on cooling but won't really know until I test it. I do plan to open up a couple of holes on top of the cowl at the rear and cover them with screen. You wont notice them too much once I paint them. That should draw air through the cowl plus I have rear vents already that were part of the the electric set up.

The rear vents draw air through the plane in addition to the nose vent. But you never really know till it flys. Fingers crossed.

Interesting exhaust set up on the Ki61, do you have any db readings for it? I may use that at some point.

Joe
Old 06-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Joespeeder

Hey Guys,

Just a quick note to say the Hurri is back !!! I flew it twice last night and was giddy when I was done. It's been quiet the project to convert from electric to gas. I managed to fit a 10 oz slant nose fuel tank for the long flight times I really wanted.

I'm flying for about 7.5 to 8 minutes so far and have about 1/2 a tank left !!! Ohh.. this is going to be fun !!

I'm so used to having to watch my flight times that having this kind of reserve is just awesome.

I'm no good at engine tuning so I rely on help from others. Currently I am flying an APC 16x8 2 blade. The Hurri rips around at a great pace with that prop. I flew several laps in formation with a buddy and his H9 ME-109 also using a DLE-20. The two looked great together !

I have some Graupner 15x8x3 props waiting for the engine to get more time on it and me to get use to flying gas a bit more.

It was great to replicate my landing cycle with the gasser and feel the plane react the same. About 1/2 throttle, full flaps and gear down, the Hurri settles in to a nice glide slope, cross the threshold and reduce power to settle on the mains... Nice. Still have to get use to the way and engine reacts instead of the electric motors linear response and immediate power. But this is great fun.

The DLE-20 is still running rich but I will error on the side of safety for now and just enjoy the project.

I'll post photos later when I can get some shots from others at the field.

Joe
Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 AM
RBean

Hey Joespeeder, read your post, glad to see the Hurricane working ok and glad you are getting no overheat problems. Mine is still flying, so far. However the covering on the rear fuslage and tail feathers is getting old. I may just strip off all and recover and repaint but not until this winter. Maybe I'll do a Sea Hurricane paint job.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:58 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

Great work both of you guys.. this thread, and the overwhelming desire to ditch glow prompted me to get an RCGF 15cc to hang on my Hurricane. She had about a half dozen flights on it with a GMS .76 on it and it was a real sweet ship.. a flame out on initial rotation caused a hurried emergency landing in the brambles before it went off the edge of the slope into a swamp, which it had done once before.. that broke the landing gear so we fixed them in the open position and I flew it anyway.. off season project was an engine swap and new gear.. I have a new job that keeps me away from home alot more than the old one did but I am pecking away at it.. engine is semi mounted on its standoffs and it looks great.. working up a plan to build a custom muffler and ditch the giant side hanging can that would make it look even less stellar than the already hacked up cowling is.. gear needs final adjustments and I need to re-cover the rudder and elevators.. nothing fancy, just something to get me back in the air.. keep it up guys! Someone is watching! :-)
Old 06-09-2013, 04:55 PM
RBean

Mk23socom, I have an RCFG 15cc engine. It does not have near the power of the DLE 20 and is only slightly lighter, but my Hurricane is way overpowered. The 15 should be adequate. I used Spring Air retracts and Robart struts as I found the stock retracts to fragile for my flying style or lack thereof. You will find the gas engine a lot more dependable than the glow, just don't fly it too lean and you will be ok. Be sure to have cooling air for the rear carb. I only had one engine failure with the DLE in the Hurricane. "Some one" didn't refuel the plane between flights and ran out of gas.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:02 AM
Mk23socom
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks Bean! I have a DLE 20 in my TF AT-6 that I really like alot so I would have loved to have the 20 for the 'Cane. Fact is, its a 60 size plane, which I am trying to get away from, and it was glow-powered, which I also am doing away with. The goal here was to get it into gasoline power on the least amount of money as possible while still having something adequate in it. The 15 fit that bill and actually mounted up beautifully. I weighed the complete 15cc gasoline engine as well as the glow engine/muffler WITH the chunk of lead that I had to use up front and it was STILL lighter than glow set-up.. so that tells me the DLE would have likely not needed much or any weight to balance. I'm looking forward to having the time to finish it and fly it, gasoline has already proven to me over two seasons to be a much better power source for me.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Joespeeder

Hi Guys,

Here's where I eat crow.... Let's all say it RBean was right,,, and again.... RBean was right... lol

After playing with my set up all summer I finally swapped to the factory DLE20 muffler, added a head shield, added more cooling holes with screen over them, and opened up every area I could inside to keep things cool.
The Hurricane now flys as it should without shutting down at about 7 minutes with the carb heat soaked. It wouldn't start till cool again and would run great. Then at 7 minutes it would heat soak and die.

I had a dead stick that I just timed to land in the last 3 feet of runway and then poof into the tall weeds like a catch fence. I had to fix the wing saddle and I broke a flap control horn. That's when I ripped everything out and rebuilt it.

I don't have pics yet but I taped off the factory muffler along the line of the nose and used barbeque grill paint to blotch some black paint on the muffler below the natural line of the bottom of the nose. Basically, I camo painted the muffler so that you don't really notice the square bottom or the tube sticking out. It worked pretty well...

Not perfect but I'm enjoying the plane again.

Too bad we can't find more of these planes. I'd love to have a fresh one to use a FG-21 on.

Joe
Old 08-24-2013, 06:45 PM
RBean

Hello Joe, sorry to see I was correct. I've been through this rear carb heat soaked with pitts muffler routine twice so I was thinking I was just having bad luck. With the Hurricane there just wasn't anything else to do but get that heater (pitts muffler) away from the carb. You can either run a straight pipe with a baffle, or the stock muffler cutting up the cowl to fit. I have a DLE 20 in a VQ P-40, but that worked out ok. the P-40 has a nice cowl that directs air over the cylinder and a top scoop to use to direct air to the carb area. I stead of using a pitts muffler I made my own exhaust on this one, but a previous P-40 had a pitts with the DLE with the carb scoop and worked ok. Kit build Top Flight. I sold it before I crashed it. It was a handful to fly.

Name:	VQ P-40 DLE20 006.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	575.8 KB
ID:	1912544   Click image for larger version

Name:	VQ P-40 DLE20 005.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	619.2 KB
ID:	1912545   Click image for larger version

Name:	VQ P-40 DLE20 018.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	734.7 KB
ID:	1912546   Click image for larger version

Name:	VQ P-40 DLE20 012.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	903.4 KB
ID:	1912547   Click image for larger version

Name:	VQ P-40 DLE20 013.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	956.2 KB
ID:	1912548  
Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 PM
RBean

The exhaust note was too loud so I had to pack the pipe with still wool to quiet it down some. The reduced the power some but since I had plenty before it is still ok.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:10 AM
GKD-man

Does anyone have a manual for the VQ 60 Hawker Hurricane they can send me please or know where I can download it from?

I've searched around but can only find the 46 size manual download.?

I bought an ARF kit but it didn't come with the manual.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.