Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

brushless without using lipo

Old 06-07-2013, 05:53 PM
hardrock2401

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brushless without using lipo

Ihave one of the first gen rustlers, got it a longgggggg time ago...as in it came with a mechanical speed control long ago. Igot out of rc a good 4-5 years ago and am coming back. Ijust purchased a ofna nexx 8t and am having an absolute ball with it, just would like something quiet and a good basher for around the neigborhood.

Every thread Ihave searched, every one uses lipo so really hasnt helped me. I am looking for a good but fast brushless system for my rustler now, using only a 6 cell or maybe 7 cell battery. I dont race nor will I ever, just want something I can throw a cheap big 6/7 cell in and go on a nice bash fest. I see traxxas claims the same speeds with their velineon 3500 as castle does with the 7700 on the same 6/7 cell count. Someone school me on how that works or if traxxas is just stretching the truth. Would I have heat issues running the 6900 or the 7700 on a 6-7 cell?
Old 06-07-2013, 08:02 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: brushless without using lipo

over 4000kv is meant for on-road only use

4000 and lower is for offroad

Problem with NiMh in brushless RC's is the brushless RC's pull more power then the battery can supply leading to the battery over heating, and its lifespan being cut down drastically. Some people have even had their NiMh batteries get so hot the solder melted off that held them together.
You would need the top end NiMh packs, and then they might only last 20-30 runs before being destroyed, and their cost is pretty high as you could get 2 2s 5000mah lipos for the cost of one higher end 5000mah NiMh, but the lipo will last 200 runs vs the NiMh 20ish.

Also you will need to upgrade your rustlers transmission to the modern metal gears as the plastic would melt

As for traxxas's speed claims that is gear EXTREMELY high, running on a well groomed surface, and probably with the wind blowing in the direction its traveling. By geared high I mean you get 1-2 passes and have to let the thing cool down.

Outside that can't help with the gearing as I don't own a rustler
Old 06-07-2013, 08:29 PM
cumquat

i have to ask, why? you can get decent lipos for less than what a good nimh pack will cost and get far better performance. this battery and charger will work with pretty much any brushless system you choose.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...rger-6S-5A-50W
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-ROAR-Approved

this brushless system should offer plenty of power without being too overpowering http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...r-Combo-3900kV
Old 06-08-2013, 06:48 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, brushless and NiMhs, not a good idea.
Old 06-09-2013, 11:48 AM
dirt101

I really recomend going lipo, the performance is soooo much better
Old 06-09-2013, 01:46 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You'd be wasting your money on NiMhs if you're gettng a brushless system. If you HAVE NiMhs just lying around, not buying new ones, sure, use 'em up if you want to. But be sure, you WILL kill them in fairly short order, depending on how, and how often, you use them.  Just go Lipo, man, it's what the things were designed for. NiMhs are OK for a mild brushed-motor. But brushless? It's not too strong a statement to say, they're required.