Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

balancing lo-wing

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

balancing lo-wing

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 12:07 PM
tazzzz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default balancing lo-wing

I just finished assembling a super chipmunk,,,,,,also have a GSS,,I was wondering if it is okay to balance these upright instead of inverted. I was shopping for a good balancer,,,a couple of them claim you can balance them upright,,Im a little confused cause I was always under the assumsion? that these low wing aircraft should be balanced inverted,,,,,,,What is the way? While Im at it what is a good balancer that I can rely on?

THX-TAZZZZ
Old 06-09-2013, 12:37 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts
Default RE: balancing lo-wing

Balance inverted, the best balancer I have found is my fingers. get it into the CG range in the instructions and adjust after flying. There is more bandwidth wasted on the topic of CG then needed. IMO it's more important to measure the airplane to see where your incidences and thrust line is before flying yet with an ARF most people don't.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:03 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually, you can balance a low wing upright, but it's just easier to have the weight of the fuse on the bottom which acts like a pendulum.

It is easy to build your own. Most people in this hobby have the skills and tools to make their own balancer. You can make a very nice solid balancer for about $10.00 with parts from the hardware store. Here is a parts list and a picture of mine.

Shower door rollers have ball bearings
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Lin...6201/100237765

Storm door turnbuckle rods
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wright-Pr...V691/202065835

4 rubber feet
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Shepherd-...9131/100148565

A couple 1/4 x 20 stove bolts and wing nuts.

Some scrap wood for the base and arms.

Epoxy the rollers into some 1/4" plywood for wing supports and add a little foam tape to protect the wing.

Mount the rollers to the ends of the turnbuckles ( the turnbubles already have holes in the ends for this).

Make some arms out of some scrap wood, drill 1/4" holes and epoxy the turnbuckles into the wood arms. Add the rubber feet to the bottom and you are good to go.

You can see in the photos how the arms need to be built to slide along the base for different size planes. This balancer will handle my 150 Twist with a Saito 220. Plenty strong

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10224.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1890411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30725.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1890412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18278.jpg
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1890413   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb81137.jpg
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1890414  
Old 06-09-2013, 10:58 PM
alan0899

ORIGINAL: tazzzz

I just finished assembling a super chipmunk,,,,,,also have a GSS,,I was wondering if it is okay to balance these upright instead of inverted. I was shopping for a good balancer,,,a couple of them claim you can balance them upright,,Im a little confused cause I was always under the assumsion? that these low wing aircraft should be balanced inverted,,,,,,,What is the way? While Im at it what is a good balancer that I can rely on?

THX-TAZZZZ
G'day Tazzzz,
This is how I balance my larger planes, high or low wing, makes it easy to decide where you need to move batteries & things around.
See Pix

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53046.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1890434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53785.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1890435  
Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look up Vanessa. You will not regret it, and you will NEVER go back.

Les
Old 06-11-2013, 02:38 AM
bikerbc

Yes I too am now using the Vanessa Rig and for the first while I didn't trust it because it was too easy .. It is cheap to build . Works on any size plane.. ( anything I have run into so far ) 5 lbs to 45 lbs High wing or low wing... Just remeber too put your slings on before you attach you struts ...