Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Solartex Users

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 06:29 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Solartex Users

I decided to try Solartex to cover a BUSA Citabria Pro based on positive comments that I have seen regarding this product. Never
having seen this covering close up before, I was disappointed with the fact that the finish is not glossy, but satin. No problem, I can
live with that. What I don't like is Solartex's comments found on the description of their product included with each roll which says
"when the model is in use.......it should be scrubbed gently with soapy water to remove grime and deposits of fuel or oil". It has been
recommended to me that I lightly spray a glossy clear coat on the aircraft to enhance the finish of the covering to less satin and more
glossy and to prevent the fact that "grime and deposits of fuel or oil" will not soak into the covering. I am looking for advice as to what
type of spray should be used on this covering once the aircraft is covered, polyurethane or a clear coat from an automotive store.

Thank you. [8D]
Old 05-31-2013, 08:45 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: Solartex Users

The whole point of Solartex is to have a fabric look. There are other good products on the market if you wanted a gloss finish, so before you start covering you might consider switching. To answer your question though, any kind of fuel proof clear coat will work with Solartex. The paint that is on there is fuel proof and durable, but exhaust oil and the dirt that it attracts will get stuck in the texture of the weave. I can tell you that acetone will dissolve the finish that is on there, so I'm guessing that it's an acetone based lacquer or a chemical resistant enamel. Luterkote will work just fine to seal the fabric and take it from a flat to a satin finish, adding some gloss and making cleanup easier. A 2 part urethane clear will work also, as will any 2 part epoxy paint. But if you really want a glossy finish, you're going to wind up considerably heavier and with a lot more money invested than if you had just gone with Ultracote or Monokote. If you want a glossy painted finish, go with natural Solartex (it doesn't have any finish on it) or a glue on fabric like Sig Koverall.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:38 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a woven finish.

You can't keep it clean ... unless you fill the weave.

The black exhaust residue from 2-stroke petrol engines is particularly effective at penetrating and staining Solartex. I use a good-quality Yacht Varnish in areas at particular risk, but I have heard tell of people using Automotive products, very successfully.

The Varnish suits my installation ... straight glow fuel.

Other than that, I accept the day-to-day accumulation of grime, as being inevitable.

Nothing lasts forever ... and, for most people, the model will be long gone, before it needs re-covering!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:44 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everything jester said, all the top coat does is make clean up easier, ST is fuel proof and used for the most part on scale planes of the fabric period. If you want gloss use one of the plastic coverings and saved yourself some money. Cleaning up Tex after a day of flying is a bit more work but well worth it on a lot of planes. I don't care if I get a bit of staining on some planes, it often adds to the scale look.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:14 AM
JCOKEEFE

[8D]Thanks for the comments and suggestions from all of you. You've given me the information that I need.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:39 AM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

do you know if the silver solar tex has got a shine or is it dull? i want to do my fuse with silver solartex and the wing will be fiberglass
with primer and silver or gray paint , im wondering how much trouble it will be to match the silver solartex.

how much will a one mitre roll cover ?
Old 06-09-2013, 11:15 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As I recall, the finish is like doped linen ... somewhere between shiny and matt. It won't be any sort of match to your painted fuselage.

A one-metre roll will cover approx. one metre by 60 cm.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:42 PM
JCOKEEFE

Based on my limited experience with Solartex, the finish is described as satin. The two rolls that I purchased from BalsaUsa were in
the colors of red and linen. The finish would also best be described as flat or matte. Contact BalsaUsa for further info on Solartex
at: http://www.balsausa.com/
Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 PM
KitBuilder

I had a can of clear lustrkote spray I dusted the model with a couple times and looks to have worked fine with no change in the finish. This was on Solartex White and the model uses a 4 stroke .70 for power. Wish it was the price of the other coverings.. easiest stuff I every applied.. bar none! Being thicker the the seams don't hide well so always face them down away from the eye if you care about such things