Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Dx18qq 3 step throttle trim and flight modes.

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Dx18qq 3 step throttle trim and flight modes.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 05:46 PM
Canadian Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Dx18qq 3 step throttle trim and flight modes.

I've done some searching and it appears that no one has found a sollution to the 3 step trim not being common between flight modes.
Is this correct?

Kind of a bummer as I fly my f22 with 3 flight modes. I use the flight modes for normal flying, rudder to ail mix to help with rudder coupling and the 3rd mode for dual rudder air brake.

I guess I could get rid of the flight modes and put all that on switches but the air brake requires a fair bit of down elevator.

Anyhow let me know if you have sen a solution.

Cheers
Old 02-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Dustin Buescher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dx18qq 3 step throttle trim and flight modes.

just make sure your throttle trim is all the way up in all flight modes before you start. Don't ask me how i found this!

I bet there is a fix in an up coming update.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:53 PM
Canadian Man

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Lol. Thanks.

I don't trust myself with that.

For now just going to use left slider.

I lack fingers on my left hand so I will have a hard time bumping it by accident.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Gixxy
My Feedback: (18)

I just bought a QQ and this was one of the features I wanted. Is there seriously no way to make the 3 step throttle trim not be affected by flight modes ? If not this is really ridiculous :P And to think I sold my DX18 to get the QQ ! Still really like the radio but I would have just kept doing the work around on my regular 18. I just liked the idea of not having to do so with the QQ and I honestly just liked the finish on the QQ lol.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Ozmodeller

ORIGINAL: Gixxy

I honestly just liked the finish on the QQ lol.
Me too until it started coming off.

Peter
Old 06-09-2013, 04:49 PM
kev-o

Hmm maybe I do things differantly
I use the flight mode switch to activate flaps and to turn off mixes etc. when I set up trim for throttle I set combine so trim is the same in all flight mode aw settings , I'm setting up a carf hawk this way and it seems to work. Granted I have the std dx18 not the qq version.

Seems to work on mine

Kevin
Old 06-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

I did the SPM file mod posted by Honda to enable the 3 position throttle trim. Then like Kevin noted above, I set the Throttle trim in the Trim sub-menu in the System Menu to Common Digital. All the other Trim settings remain in Flight Mode, activated by my Flap Switch.
A 3 position Throttle trim is maintained.

Now when I do my startup, the Flap(F.Mode) switch can be in any position when I go to Trim up for the start as FM0, FM1, and FM2 all follow, no matter what position the switch is in when I go to Trim up for Start. No chance of an unexpected shutdown if one forgets to move the trim back up after a shutdown on the previous flight with the FM switch in the landing position.

The opposite pertains when shutting down. All Switch positions will go to Trim down whenever I pull the Trim down for Shutdown.

Basically the same as on my 18MZ.......

This is on my DX-18......
Old 06-09-2013, 07:45 PM
kev-o

You haven't had any issues with the spm mod Tom ,I was waiting to here from a few before I did it. But it sounds like its not a big deal. Wish they would update at least that on the std dx18s

Thx
Kevin
Old 06-10-2013, 03:50 AM
Tom Antlfinger

No problems Kevin. Only PITA is that the SPM files are Configuration files that are model specific so you have to do the file and Trim mod for each model in your model memory.

Also, when you do the mod, best to have 2 SD cards available, both with the backup of the models on them. That way if you goof up the mod accidentally, you can just pop in the other card and import the untouched SPM file you were working on. The mod does nothing to the integral firmware like the factory updates do, just the configuration of each particular model.

Would be nice if Spektrum finally fixes this irritation on the next update. Andy Kunz, one of the Spektrum software developers at Horizon is aware of the problem.

Tom
Old 06-10-2013, 05:45 AM
rcjets12
My Feedback: (21)

I had this problem at First in Flight and could have lost my Jet as I had no idea that I had shut down my turbine when I went to full flaps on the FM switch. I have ask a few different people and there is no fix for know just cant use this option. Horizon needs to put out a bulletin out there so people are aware of this issue.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Tom Antlfinger

Hi Jose:

Actually, if you do the mod to the SPM file and then select Common Digital on the Trim Setup Menu, you will never have that problem of shutdown when you go to FM2 or Landing Flaps since when you do the startup for the flight, all 3 FM positions follow the trim up position automatically and stay that way until you shut it down after landing by bringing the throttle trim to shutoff position.

Not perfect, but saves you from an unexpected shutdown in the air when you select landing flaps.

As I noted above, it is a hassle since you have to modify the SPM configuration file for each plane you have stored in your Model Memory.

Tom
Old 06-10-2013, 05:12 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Please correct me if I'm wrong but people in this thread are talking about 2 different things... whether or not you have your throttle trim set to "flight modes" or "common" is not related to where your throttle trim is on your radio or whether you do the mod or not. I have used throttle trim on the LLV and the digital throttle trim in several different step increments but have always selected "common" in the trim setup menu? Are QQ users saying that option isn't there?
Old 06-10-2013, 06:24 PM
kev-o

My throttle trim is not set to flight modes if you select common digital it stays the same in all flight modes. I use the flight mode switch to activate mixes and flaps etc. it works for me and by the looks of it Tom too.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:20 PM
smitty1001

I think that is what I was trying to say - why are people talking about a "fix" or a "bulletin" - is what I was wondering? Can't you just select "common" and be done?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:51 PM
Tom Antlfinger

ORIGINAL: smitty1001

I think that is what I was trying to say - why are people talking about a ''fix'' or a ''bulletin'' - is what I was wondering? Can't you just select ''common'' and be done?
Yes, but unless you do the "fix", at least on the DX-18, you will not have a 3 step throttle trim which I have been using for years on other radios. Sure, you can move the throttle trim to L slider or where ever, but I prefer it adjacent to the throttle stick.

On some of my scale birds like the BVM Sabre and F-100, the Right and Left Sliders are used for brakes and speed brakes, adjustable nose wheel steering is on the L eyebrow trimmer and canopy is on the right eyebrow trimmer with my gyro gain on the R Aux switch, so I am somewhat limited in a convenient place for my Throttle trimmer if I move it from the usual position.

Tom

Old 06-10-2013, 08:07 PM
kev-o

tom i agree 100% just havent done the three step trim yet all my jets are set up the same way so i cant make a mistake with what does what i like to keep it simple i don flick dual rate switches iether its all on the 3 pos flight mode switch

Kevin
Old 06-11-2013, 01:01 AM
smitty1001

Fellas, I also agree 100%... ... my throttle trim is in the traditional location as well, I also tie rates etc into flight modes. Something is getting lost in the translation
I'm not sure whether to continue or just say nevermind

Ok, here goes, hang with me... the OP said: "I've done some searching and it appears that no one has found a sollution [sic] to the 3 step trim not being common between flight modes.Is this correct?"

If he was not using a QQ but the standard DX-18, which I own and operate with Flight Modes and digital throttle trim, I would've said immediantly, "No! That is not correct, all you have to do is go to the trim setup and select 'common digital' for throttle."

The OP was amplified when next Dustin (obviously a very accomplished modeller and someone well-versed in the radio) said, "just make sure it is in the same position in every flight mode..."

Those two posts seem to indicate that on the QQ, the option of "common" on the throttle trim is not there? (which is hard to believe btw) What "fix" would there be coming for the QQ? No option to have the throttle trim change with the FM's?
I doubt that, as a prop pilot might prefer an idle-up or something with flaps down, etc. dunno, doesn't matter...

My orginal statement/comment stands: the original post has been convoluted with references to Dr. Honda's SPM "fix," (which is a great mod) and I am simply wondering; can you not just go to the trim setup and select 'common digital' for throttle on the QQ?