Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

keeping lipos in planes in garage?

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

keeping lipos in planes in garage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:38 AM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keeping lipos in planes in garage?

I am moving my planes out to my garage to save the hassle of carting them up out of the basement everytime I want to fly. I have lipos powering 2 of my helis and would like to know if it is a bad idea to keep them out there where it gets pretty hot in the summer. I am in ohio and the garage is uninsulated and gets pretty hot in the summer. What do you all think?
thanks
Jeff
Old 06-10-2013, 08:51 AM
A10FLYR
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: keeping lipos in planes in garage?

I leave mine in my van year around. Don't know if it does them any good, most likely not. Lets see what the "experts" have to say!
Old 06-10-2013, 09:03 AM
flyinhigh1

Be sure to only store them in storage mode, 3.8v per cell, do not store fully charged. As to the environmental condictions for storage, i don't think there is a major impact. just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers,
Old 06-10-2013, 09:12 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe excessive heat will not do the LiPos well over the long haul. I try and keep them in a cooler environment for storage with the packs at a storage charge level.. They say do not store them in an environment that can reach 95 degrees or more. As they heat up the cells slowly increase in voltage. I leave LiPos in planes where the packs are buried . I don't know what kind of helicopter but it's usually pull two clips, remove the canopy and pull the packs ?
Old 06-10-2013, 03:16 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

I agree that cold storage is the best. Many times in the hottest 2 months of Ohio I make sure that all the "extras" are in the fridge , but any that I fly regularly still stay in the garage. It's not worth storing cold and resurrecting even once per week inmop.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:36 PM
jjoos99
My Feedback: (12)

I know that I am probably doing it wrong but I usually charge my flight packs after flying and then top off the night before I think I might fly if it might be a week or two. So they would be in a charged state while in the garage. Maybe I should just keep the lipo helis that I have in the basement. I keep the flight packs installed in the helis so that they wouldnt be easily removed after a flying session.
thanks
Jeff
Old 06-10-2013, 04:56 PM
flyinhigh1

By leaving your lipo's fully charged, you run the risk of a fire should the packs experience a short circuit or some kind of deformation. I have one flying friend who lost a house and another a truck from fire. We have experimented with lipo's in various charge states, and if you violoate a fully charged battery, it can be quite a show of smoke, fire and destruction. if a pack is in store mode, the most we have seen is a little smoke, so not much chance of burning down the house. Further, packs left fully charged tend to puff and have a very short life span.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 06-11-2013, 08:39 AM
jzrf6c

Read the manufactors suggestions for short and long term storgae. Remember, heat is never good for a chemical based item (which ones aren't)? Never ever leave or store your Lipo in your plane. Most of the fliers I know store thier batteries at 70% charge (i.e., 8.7 volts for an 11.1 volt battery fully charged at 12.4 volts) unless they intend on flying within the next week or so. If you store your Lipo at to low a voltage it will discharge below the threashold and basiclly kill the battery.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:13 PM
guver

SOD cannot be figured that way. 11.1 is nearly depleted. Perhaps you meant 10.8 volts as it is 0%. 70% charge shall be around 3.9-4.0 volts per cell and most recommend a storage of 3.85 volts/cell which is around 50% charge.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:19 PM
jzrf6c

I'm not sure what you are refering to SOD? To me that's grass ;-0 Anyway, 11.1 is what's printed and giving for 3 cell Lipos. Most of of us know that this is not the actual voltage. I was not intending to get into a technical discussion om Lipos. I was just trying to help let user know what works BEST for our group.
each Lipo cell should never be discharde below 3.3 volts (most call this fully depleted) or 9.9 volts per 3 cell unit. Fully charged each cell will read 4.20 volts or 12.60 volts on a three cell unit. and 70% of that is 8.82 volts if my math is correct. My note above said 8.7 as an example.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Goldenduff

I'm guessing sod is state of discharge. The discharge curve is not linear meaning that if voltage reduces by 10% capacity of 10% has not been used. Somantics.

I store/charge lipos like gambling- only bet what you can afford to lose and manage risks. I therefore charge and store in a fire proof container (old cooker) and that is in the shed. Can't really afford to lose the shed but compared to the house I can!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM
guver

Perhaps the charts in this thread may help. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11244080