Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

Old 03-29-2013, 04:24 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: BOOMERANG ELAN - New Build & Setup Thread!

ORIGINAL: VF84sluggo

Roger that, Mike. If I hit a wall trying to set it up, I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Randy
Let us know anyway, it will be good to tell the rest of the uneducated guys how easy it is to set up a Futaba radio.

Mike
Old 03-29-2013, 06:37 PM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL...nothin' to it, piece of cake
Old 03-30-2013, 10:25 AM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Guys,
I will be listing a Jettech tank (125oz) for sale shortly, if anybody is interested. It has maybe 10 flights on it. I went to a smoke tank setup, so I pulled this guy out.

On a side note, I dialed in some crow today and it helps with bleeding the speed off (i.e. drag). My ailerons reflex up around 7/16" up. I will leave them as such.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2013, 06:32 AM
NC Jetguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys,
All the comments about crow have been very helpful and I am going to try it on my Élan as it seems to land rather hot for me. One question: does the crow require any additional elevator compensation besides what I have set for flaps? If so, which direction?

Regards,

Ken

Old 04-06-2013, 06:55 AM
BaldEagel

Ken

You should not have to put any more down elevator in when you reflex the ailerons, but be prepared for the aircraft to descend more than usual, it gives a much better rate of descent and you just control this with up elevator and throttle to your landing point, you should end up with the nose high, well not level, and the aircraft descending with about one third throttle applied, she is a real lady in this configuration and you should be able to put her exactly where you want, just adjusting the landing point with the throttle.

Mike
Old 04-06-2013, 06:19 PM
EngineDesigner
My Feedback: (5)

Maiden my Elan today!

Things went very well! Great flying characteristics!

Old 05-26-2013, 06:21 PM
mjunior

Flight with onboard video camera

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t3tQ...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-10-2013, 11:55 AM
STKNRUD

Has anyone attempted to use the KingCat method of holding the wings on? BVM uses a carbon fiber tongue between the wing panel root, through the boom to the outer rib of the fuselage wing root. One side of the tongue is left in place (usually the wing panel). The other has a simple screw accessed from the bottom to release the tongue allowing the wing and tongue to slide off. I've looked at the Elan and it appears the gap between the outer edge of ProLink actuator and the fuse wing root would be a good location for the block to hold the screw and carbon fiber tongue. I've never been keen on the bolts tightened against the aluminum anti-rotation pins....messy, bolts break with over tightening, etc.

George
Old 06-10-2013, 09:54 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: STKNRUD

Has anyone attempted to use the KingCat method of holding the wings on? BVM uses a carbon fiber tongue between the wing panel root, through the boom to the outer rib of the fuselage wing root. One side of the tongue is left in place (usually the wing panel). The other has a simple screw accessed from the bottom to release the tongue allowing the wing and tongue to slide off. I've looked at the Elan and it appears the gap between the outer edge of ProLink actuator and the fuse wing root would be a good location for the block to hold the screw and carbon fiber tongue. I've never been keen on the bolts tightened against the aluminum anti-rotation pins....messy, bolts break with over tightening, etc.

George
George,

Sounds like a lot of complicated work that will just lead to trouble. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. One of the things I love about my Elan is the ease of set-up at the field. I transport it with the tail booms and stab on so all I do is slide wings on, snug up 4 screws and fuel.

PaulD
Old 09-15-2013, 12:03 PM
1_helihover_1

Hello.

Anyone flying this with the vt80?
Old 09-15-2013, 03:04 PM
mjunior

I have seen one flying with a kingtech k80 that I think has pretty much similar thrust than vt80. It flew good as sport plane.
It seems to me the Elans has a large variation in the weight. Mine is 11kg empty with a wren 100 (a light engine) but others here are lighter. You have a light one, it will fly well.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:32 AM
BaldEagel

I flew mine first with a JetCat P80, changed it to a P120 with no discernable difference in performance except on vertical manoeuvres, take off was very similar as was straight and level flight, all from a grass field, the P80 was a very heavy turbine, this airframe has a very wide speed envelope and is very easy to take off and land, you will not be disappointed in it.

Mike
Old 11-22-2013, 10:14 PM
Scott Purdy

In my boomerang elan I have got a issue, after only 1 flight the tube which the main carbon pole nests in running through the fuselage has a major fracture and is cracking through, the material it seems to be constructed from is some sort of a rubber and has perished not carbon fiber, is there a solution to this and how do I go about fixing it, the jet is brand new and as I said above only 1 flight on it
Old 11-23-2013, 01:35 AM
BaldEagel

I think you will find the tube through the fus is not structural, but is there to guide the wing spar through the fus, I would just wrap it in some tape.

Mike
Old 11-23-2013, 05:02 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BaldEagel
I think you will find the tube through the fus is not structural, but is there to guide the wing spar through the fus, I would just wrap it in some tape.

Mike
I would take some pictures of it and send it to Boomerang. Something doesn't sound quite right. In mine the tube is fibreglass - maybe yours had bad resin and did not kick off - or some chemical got spilled on it?

The fuse does flex however and the stock CF tube is pretty weak. My fuse has cracks in it in line with the wing tube on the painted surface just in the bottom of the curvature between the intake and sponson.

PaulD
Old 12-08-2013, 03:24 AM
Scott Purdy

A few weekends ago we got the jet down to take for its second flight, I was doing a test of all systems before we got there to make sure all servos worked and there was no binding etc, I inserted the main carbon spar in the guide tube only to have it jam on something, I looked down the tube, there was light coming in, we looked inside to find most of it missing, This tubing was only thin plastic?

after contacting the guy at boomerang jets he told us to tape it up and it wasn't structural but you could push down anywhere on the plastic tube and crack it, Next was the problem of replacing it.

We found a place which makes carbon and fiberglass tubing to nest the main spar in. The plastic tubing had to be removed from the whole fuselage through 6 formers. This was done was with the blue drill bit in photo 3, The drill was modified removing the internal drill and replacing it with a 6mm shaft in which the 6mm rod can slide up it. I machined up 3 plugs in total starting of with the inside diameter of the plastic tube 1 of which was larger to fit to fit the fiberglass tube which took me a whole morning to hone out. The main shaft ran true through the center of the plugs allowing us to drill through (High stress moment) as the first plug ran inside the plastic all the way through.

After the plastic was and all swarf was removed the tube was fitted and glued with two tonne epoxy there ain't no way this ones going to crack. After another day of fitting out everything again it's now ready to fly

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060436.JPG
Views:	901
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	1945809   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060438.JPG
Views:	884
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	1945810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4643.JPG
Views:	1030
Size:	2.37 MB
ID:	1945811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4647.JPG
Views:	1020
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	1945812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4649.JPG
Views:	921
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	1945813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4651.JPG
Views:	881
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	1945814   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4652.JPG
Views:	936
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	1945815   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4656.JPG
Views:	906
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	1945816  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4660.JPG
Views:	907
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	1945817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4664.JPG
Views:	874
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	1945818   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4665.JPG
Views:	860
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	1945819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4666.JPG
Views:	883
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	1945820   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4676.JPG
Views:	851
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	1945821   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4679.JPG
Views:	876
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	1945822   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4682.JPG
Views:	896
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	1945823   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4686.JPG
Views:	873
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	1945824  

Old 12-08-2013, 06:46 AM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't posted to this thread before but wanted to mention that we just converted over some equipment in our Navy colored Élan. First, we had a JC 140RX and replaced it with a JC 90RXi. We needed the 140 for a new project. The 140 was more than enough power and we're hoping fuel burn will be a lot better with the 90. We actually only went to full power on takeoff and on vertical up lines. The Install of the 90RXi was mostly uninstalling all the unused gear. It's pretty simple setup

Secondly, we the Dreamworks electric upgrades for their gear. I'm always a "latest and greatest" pilot so I bought though the kit on a whim. Well, we went to do the work and our airlines still had full pressure from flying two months before! (It's really hard to pull the plug on something that worked so well). Long story short, we did the conversion and everything works flawlessly. The brakes go from free willing to almost locked down. I'm very impressed with this conversion. I purchased these in September and, of course, the next week Todd announced the new super duper HD conversion. I went ahead and installed these units and they seem more than adequate.

Looking forward to to the "remaiden" flight

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	1945855  

Last edited by patrnflyr; 12-08-2013 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:56 AM
Pete S-RCU

My Elan is almost complete, but I have a question?
The booms don't align with the fuse, there's a gap between the boom and fuse at the rear.
Anyone else have this problem and is there a fix?
Seems like the stab is too wide?
A shim between the fuse and boom would work, not very elegant though.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:06 AM
BaldEagel

I carefully elongated the hole in the boom or stub wing to allow them to line up, then make good the hole, but ensure the tail still lines up, do one at a time and bolt everything together to ensure alignment, make sure you don't stick the booms to the fus whilst the making good with epoxy goes off, as an aside most of the Elans have the ali pins glued into the wing stub, you can get to the glue point through the flap servo holes and the wheel wells.

Mike
Old 03-11-2014, 07:15 AM
Pete S-RCU

Not sure I understand your fix.
Seems to me the problem is in the stab being too wide,
This separates the booms in the rear, resulting in a wedge shaped separation at the rear of the fuse/wing joining.
Won't the fix need to be at the stab, or shim the booms wide enough to be parallel with the fuss/stub wings?
Old 03-11-2014, 07:24 AM
Pete S-RCU

Will try to upload a picture.

Name:	100_3635.JPG
Views:	878
Size:	317.4 KB
ID:	1977031  
Old 03-11-2014, 07:24 AM
BaldEagel

I put one of the booms on the fus and then attached the tail, when you try to line up the other boom the gap normally is at the front of one of the booms, at least it was with mine and elongating one of the holes for the ali pins cured it, I don't think the tail can be too wide as its made in a jig as far as I know, if you are still having problems contact Partricia at Boomerang jets, she will sort it out for you if you need a new part.

Mike
Old 03-11-2014, 07:28 AM
BaldEagel

If you haven't glued the pins in yet take the front one out on one side and see it its still out of alignment when you attach the tail.

Mike
Old 03-11-2014, 07:51 AM
Pete S-RCU

Did you look at the photo?
The width of the stab mounts is too wide compared to the fuse, so the booms are not parallel.
I don't see how altering the pins would help any?
I have contacted Patricia, but haven't heard from Alan yet.
I'm thinking there's some inaccuracies in building of the parts, they're not all the same.
Like the fuse is too narrow on mine?
Just guessing?
Old 03-11-2014, 07:56 AM
BaldEagel

Maybe, but I know I had to fiddle with the pin alignment to get the booms parallel, there is an older thread on here about the Elan and I know there was a lot of discussion on boom alignment, do a search you should find it.

Mike

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.