Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

What is happening to this forum?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

What is happening to this forum?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Jaybird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is happening to this forum?

It seems that very few people that do enjoy ARF's say so.

It seems that everyone that hates ARF's, hates the people that buy them, hates the people that fly them and laugh their butts off and cheer everytime they see one crash can't wait to jump on any ARF thread and beat up the other guy. How many ARF builders and flyers have gone onto the other threads and called other people they don't even know lazy bums and belittled what they do as a waste of time and money...I don't think many have and I would bet fewer than those that attack ARF owners.

Why is there so much hostility and blame thrown around? Why would anyone want to stick their neck out to comment on an ARF, good or bad, knowing the trolls are waiting to blast them and fire off personal attacks?

If you don't like ARFs then stay away and keep your attacks to yourself. If you have legitimate concerns about the quality of a product , then fire away, but don't beat up the guy who bought it.

Ready, aim, fire away....

Jaybird
Old 06-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Jaybird

My ARFS

Hangar 9 80" J-3 CUB
Hangar 9 Fokker D-VII
Hangar 9 Katana 50

Great Planes WACO YMF-5D

Cermark Pitts S2B

E-Flite P-38 Lighting
E-Flite Taylorcraft
E-Flite Hurricane

Parkzone SE5a

Hobby Lobby Sunday

Seagull Electric Extra 300

Global 2m Glider

My Kit Builds

BUSA Eindecker EIII 80"
Great Planes Super Skybolt

My Kits built second hand

BUSA 1/4 scale J-3 CUB
Concept Fleet 1/6 scale Fleet M2
Sig Ryan STA

Jaybird
Old 06-11-2013, 10:54 AM
fly24-7

Because we're too busy doing more productive stuff and flying. Not interested in making time to sit in front of a work bench for 100 hours to build a plane. Rather take the limited time I have to spend 15 hours assembling something and spend 85 hours flying. Oh, wait! Actually, 90 hours is spent building and 10 hours is spent criticizing those that don't enjoy spending hundreds of hours sniffing wood dust, CA and fiberglass resin.

I have great respect and appreciation for those who build high-quality, detailed models from a kit or from scratch. Then I take it back when I listen to them crap on everyone who don't do things the way they do them.

By the way, why is it that so many of you builders spend hundreds of hours on a model, bring it to the field, unpack it, assemble it, stare at it for three hours, disassemble it, pack it up, bring it home and do the same thing day after day after day after day???
Old 06-11-2013, 11:03 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is due to the hobby evolving beyond what most around here have.....

Just sayin'

The scale and warbird forums are pretty good here though!

Regards,

Astro
Old 06-11-2013, 11:09 AM
Jaybird

I have been commenting and reading the threads dedicated to the specific planes I've listed above.

I haven't contributed to the general ARF forum...until now.

Jaybird

Why can't we all just get along....oh, yeah, we're humans!
Old 06-11-2013, 11:12 AM
rccrasher65
My Feedback: (35)

Amen, Mike.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:31 PM
kerwin50

I would say one of the biggest reasons is the mods have ticked off many of the posters and refused to apologize.
Case in point Da Rock deleted several post on the twist thread then when we complained he got nasty with us and said that by getting rid of us it was just going to make a better thread.
Well about 20 of us went to RCG and started the thread there where we don't get jacked with
Old 06-11-2013, 02:54 PM
[email protected]

when i get a chance to buy a kit i like i make extra copys of all parts that way i can build anothe one some day
Old 06-11-2013, 03:07 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the last year or so, I have noticed that the ARF forum has less traffic, while at the same time, the Kit Building, and Scratch Building forums are seeing an upswing in traffic. Maybe things are returning to where they came from. Or, maybe the price of ARFs has finally outstripped their value.
However, it seems like overall, the whole site has much less traffic than just a few years ago. I remember when it would take me at least an hour to read all the new posts in My Forums. Now, I get thru all them, in aroud 10 to 15 minutes, most days.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:45 PM
WVrailfan

As a relative newcomer to the RC flying hobby and this as well as some other RC enthusiast sites, perhaps I have a different, maybe less educated view of the hobby and the related sites. On the other hand, as a newbe, I may have a more objective view also.I came into the hobby a couple of years ago when I received a Hobbyzone Super Cub as a Fathers Day gift. I have been a model railroader for over forty years and have spent many, many hours scratch building and kit building some very intricate HO scale models. So I do know a little about building verses "buy and play with it" modeling. And to be honest, until I started checking out the RC sites I didn't realize I was suppose to resent those who would rather buy a model ready to use and enjoy. I thought the end goal was to have something you enjoy, regardless if you enjoy taking pride in building a model or just operating a model, or more likely somewhere in between.This one thread is full of bitter small minded comments belittling a segment of the hobby that frankly is probably keeping the hobby alive. Whether you admit it or not, the hobby was aging and like model railroading was diminishing. ARFs and foamys are the only reason I and many others are in this hobby. Out the 10 planes I currently own 9 are foam one is built up and covered wood. And the one wood kit was an ARF which required very little assembly. To be honest, at 56, I don't want to start stick building planes, I much prefer spending and hour putting the RX in, and wings on, a foamy and going flying. The flying is where I get my satisfaction. Also, from what I have personally observed at my local hobby shop, I'd guess this same formula has also got a lot of young father and son teams into the hobby.I have noticed that this site has more "builders" and intricate minded model aviation enthusiast. And, there is nothing wrong with that, I admire a scratch build model, especially one that flies as good as it looks. On the other hand, I can admire a foamy that someone has taken the time to add some details to, or repaint to make it their own and to make it look better.So my point, sorry for the rambling, is I think the general populace of this site is a little less tolerant of folks who fly an ARF wood plane or a foamy. There is a lot of condemnation that goes on. Not everyone, and perhaps not even the majority of folks here. I realize the site features a great number of reviews of foam planes, so I don't think there is any intent on the part of the site. But in the two years I have been a member I have discovered that I feel more welcome at another site than I do here. The ARF section is always busy and there is a buzz of excitement when a new foamy or ARF is about to be released. This is a good site with a ton of good information and helpful members, but I don't see the same fun attitude here I see at the other site. So, perhaps the reason the ARF section of this site is off a little may be because ARF flyers have sought friendlier company.This is just my impression, based on casual observance over the last couple of years. I may be way off base, and I certainly intend to offend no one, especially site admins who seem to do a good job of maintaining a useful site. Jim
Old 06-11-2013, 04:51 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I spent my younger years building from kits, with all the frustration and time that's involved.
These days, life is too short, and I'd rather spend more time flying, thank you very much!

Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 PM
warbird addict

Do you really need to even ask such a foolish question? Anytime a discussion starts about an ARF the purist sect rallies and totally attacks everything about the OP because he is more interested in the ARF side of things and gets called lazy, stupid, etc and arfs get attacked as well "cheap china junk" "falls apart after the first flight" "Dangerous".
Why try and contribute or have anything to do with that BS SEROUSLY? I don't know about any of the other guys who choose to build and fly the ARFS but for me it saves me having to get pissed off and tell somebody flat out to save running their mouth and running me and my stuff down for when we're face to face , and I'm reasonably sure I can speak for most anybody who has had anything good to say about ARF'S and been foolish enough to post their thoughts here on RCU.
I don't know about anybody else but when people act like their *****e don't stink they can go and play in their own damned sandbox I want absolutely nothing to do with them, if they want to be seperatists and elitists well they are only isolating themselves and have only themselves to blame for their isloation and are cheating themselves out of a great deal of what this hobby has to offer in the way of friendships and people who share the common interest of model aviation, I've met a few at various flyins and inevitably they wind up hanging off in a corner somewhere all by themselves because they act like everybody should pat them on the back!!!! Come on now being an ass and dumping on somebodies stuff because it's an ARF is like walking up to somebody and telling them his OL Lady is an ugly fat pig, there is not one bit of difference between the 2 examples and in either case I'd be damned likely to haul off and punch somebodies face right off their skull and send em home with their teeth wrapped up in a napkin the ambulance driver was nice enough to gather up for them.
But stupid me I don't back down ever lol I'll always try to offer a common sense approach explaination, NOBODY likes having their stuff dumped on by ANYBODY no matter what it is be it airplanes OR Ol Ladys or what ever else !!!!!! it's all the same !!!!!!!!
Trash talk my ****e and me n you's gonna have us a real serious problem on our hands and one of us is going to go home with a serious black eye and grass stains on their clothes that will never come out

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Have all the ARF people switched to needlecraft or something? I have noticed a drop in threads and responses to threads of late....the only forum I see ''MANY'' posts is the Warbirds forum. Any ideas why this is happening as this forum used to be FULL of new posts.....
Old 06-11-2013, 05:31 PM
ssautter

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Have all the ARF people switched to needlecraft or something? I have noticed a drop in threads and responses to threads of late....the only forum I see "MANY" posts is the Warbirds forum. Any ideas why this is happening as this forum used to be FULL of new posts.....
Yes,
All the baby-booming geezers have submitted to their rocking chairs!
Not only do RCU members NOT get paid for their contributions, but are also flamed and trolled by the so-called enthusiasts.
News Flash! World War II is over....
The real news is a sovereign-debt crisis, a federal government's downgraded credit-rating, anda decline in the caucasian birthrate.

Meanwhile....
I'm going flying!

Old 06-11-2013, 05:34 PM
[email protected]

the last guy who took a swing at me got pepper spray in the face he wont try that any more but hear this i dont run anyones plane down we all do the best we can we are here to fly enjoy the people around us
Old 06-11-2013, 05:35 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put an arf thread in here and hardly got any looks. Why bother?
Old 06-11-2013, 06:08 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: ssautter
News Flash! World War II is over....

I'd ask who won; but Isee Mitsubishi, Fuji, Subaru (Nakajima), Kawasaki and Diiachi [the warbird manufacturers] are going strong while Grumman,Curtiss, Vought, North American, Consolidated, Bell, Brewster, Republic are all crushed -so Iguess Iknow.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: fly24-7

Because we're too busy doing more productive stuff and flying. Not interested in making time to sit in front of a work bench for 100 hours to build a plane. Rather take the limited time I have to spend 15 hours assembling something and spend 85 hours flying. Oh, wait! Actually, 90 hours is spent building and 10 hours is spent criticizing those that don't enjoy spending hundreds of hours sniffing wood dust, CA and fiberglass resin.

I have great respect and appreciation for those who build high-quality, detailed models from a kit or from scratch. Then I take it back when I listen to them crap on everyone who don't do things the way they do them.

By the way, why is it that so many of you builders spend hundreds of hours on a model, bring it to the field, unpack it, assemble it, stare at it for three hours, disassemble it, pack it up, bring it home and do the same thing day after day after day after day???

You say you have "great respect" for those who build until you "listen to them crap on everyone" who doesn't, yet you talk the same kind of crap about them in the next sentence. Hmmm...
Old 06-11-2013, 06:12 PM
warbird addict

Amen!!! people who don't go around taking a crap on everyone and everything around them in order to put themselves on a pedsetal at someones elses expense should have no fear of getting punched in the lip!!!
However just saying should someone be foolish enough to do just that they had better not rely on mere pepper spray to save them because they desperately deserve what they've got coming in spades and they'll surely get it, pepper spray or not, make somebody mad enough and pepper spray won't save somebodies sorry hide if the other person is mad enough or in my case has trained with it and a hell of alot worse "CS GAS" after "CS" pepper spray is something you put on a burrito LOL!!!
"CS" is truly nasty stuff they put 2 or 3 lil rocks in a test tube and cook it over a can of sterno and cram you into a horse trailer and close the doors at that very instant everywhere you perspire feels like you are being roasted alive , yeh man that stuff is mean as hell , we had to dispose of our uniforms after being exposed as the stuff wouldn't wash out LOL imagine soaking your man sack in zippo lighter fluid and setting fire to it LMAO our XO had a hairline crack in his mask and after about a millisecond went nuts and tried to use one of the instructors to smash a hole in the horsetrailer big enough to for him to get away from the stuff, LOL what a punk!! LOL. Don't mix me up when they finally opened the door after about 15 minutes I choked, gagged ,puked, stripped down bareassed and ran around like a retarded idiot like everybody else doing exactly the same thing they were it sucked BAD!

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

the last guy who took a swing at me got pepper spray in the face he wont try that any more but hear this i dont run anyones plane down we all do the best we can we are here to fly enjoy the people around us
Old 06-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Jaybird

Here are some of the ARFs and kit built planes I'm flying....proud of all of them too!

Let's go enjoy this hobby called model flying!

Jaybird
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56813.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	1891059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57288.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	1891060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97594.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	1891061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67090.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1891062   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52147.jpg
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	1891063   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg17616.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	1891064   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83841.jpg
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1891065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37517.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	179.8 KB
ID:	1891066  

Old 06-11-2013, 10:25 PM
byrne1157

Nice planes, Jaybird!!! I built planes when I was a lot younger, FF models. I have used ARF models to get my flying bug on, now I find them lacking in what I am looking for in a plane. I bought an Avistar elite RTF from a friend that brought it to the the field new, flew it twice and said it was too slow for for him. Now that I have 8 flights on it, I am noticing several glue joints that have seperated, or had no glue in the first place. Working on it as I type this. I also bought an Escapade, ordered it from Tower, and I am going to go through it with a fine toothed comb, and some epoxy and ca to make sure it won't come apart on me in the air.I bought a Swift from Maxford, it came with sub-standard landing gear mounts, working on a re-design to strenghthen tose. I have a lot of electric faomies, electric wood, glow wood, and think I'm gonna move into kit or plan building. That way I won't have to worry if there is good wood, or cardboard in the plane.I know airplanes can be built better, I enjoy the entire hobby, I use a Turnigy 9x radio, have flashed the firmware, making it one of the most powerful radios I have seen. Range checks to 2-1/2 miles. Someday, if I ever get a lot of money and don't care how I spend it, I might just get a $3,000.00 airplane and fly it with this radio. Then I don't have to listen to comments about the quality of the radio I chose to purchase. There is a lot to this hobby, and I would like to experience it all. 

Fly well, Land Softly... 
Old 06-12-2013, 03:34 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Here on RCU in large if you are not a kit, or scratch builder of some sorts and wish to fly and talk about ARFs on this site; then you are regarded by many of the lords of RCU, you know; legends in their own mind types as bottom feeder's, the scum on the bottom of ones shoes that clutters the sky's with nothing but ill flying junk out of China and in part the root cause for the demise of all those kits in years gone by.... Here is a news flash for you lords; ARFs are here to stay, so you may as well pull your heads out because all your crying and b***ing changes nothing, in fact you sound more like spoiled children when things don't go their way! I am a scratch/kit builder and I have been for many years, but I have also had ARFs along the way, some of those ARFs are of great quality and fly very well, in fact some look and perform better than anything many of the so called scratch and kit builder's here will ever create in the shops. The hobby is for everyone to enjoy as they see fit without ridicule, so please you master's of RCU, and you know who you are; stop coming into RCU all puffed up with yourselves over these toy airplanes and running others down for their choices. If you want to build kits or sticks, then build, if you want to assemble ARFs and fly then have at it, in both cases have fun, live and let live...

Bob
Old 06-12-2013, 05:22 AM
Jaybird

What about the guys who buy the Composite ARF (CARF) kits or Aeroworks and Wild Hare and all the IMAC type 30-40-50%? Noboby seems to pick on them or call them lazy bums.

Jaybird
Old 06-12-2013, 05:29 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Based on what I am seeing, people arent flying arfs anymore. It is mostly RTF foam. I can see why, I have the big FMS Zero and it flies like a dream, it doesnt even stall. Why fly an arf that can tip stall and turn to toothpicks when you can nose in a foamy and just go dust it off?

PS. With all the problems RCU has I think many have jumped over the RcGroups, there is ton of activity over there.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:36 AM
[email protected]

it seems as everyone is fighting on this site some cussing others everyone knows best>>>people who live so far away from each other can call people names say they can kick the hell out of them>> iam going to have to find another site where there are good people not the one who know it all and brag>>
Old 06-12-2013, 05:42 AM
Jaybird

Maybe if we used the forum to comment on PRODUCTS and not on PEOPLE, then we could have a meaningful exchange of ideas and opinions and help each other.

Jaybird

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.