Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster Mig-29 OVT twin turbine build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster Mig-29 OVT twin turbine build

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 PM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Skymaster Mig-29 OVT twin turbine build

Mario,
Here is the Ebay link where i got my Oil paints from.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18-Gouach...1#ht_526wt_808
ORIGINAL: macmuz

Ivan.

Your build looks great.
Tailpipes look great too.
Can you pls explain how you got it to look like that, what steps you used to get the end result.
And what the brand of paints and the color names of the paints.

Cheers Mars..
Old 05-10-2013, 01:38 AM
Justflying1

For those of you who are following this tread I have finished the instillation and there are only a few more tests to do at my local field before its ready for the maiden flight.

I must say that I had it finished a little while ago but due to a failure of my lighting controller I put it off taking photos until I get a replacement. IN saying this i will state that i am very happy with the Detail for scale Lighting system and the change over was hassle free. It was also good to know he wanted the faulty one back. This shows he does take an interest in why he had a faulty unit. I also must say that when I received the unit it was working perfectly and it wasn’t until I went back out that night to take photos I realized that it was not working.

<o></o>

The rest of the installation was straight forward with the only other modifications done where with the installation of the Aileron servos.

I was not happy with installing the small servos Skymaster recommend. Not saying that these will not work but I prefer bigger servos for a piece of mind. After getting some advice from Peter from Intairco he referred me to Levi who also owns the Skymaster Mig-29. With a little modification with the dramel i was able to fit some DS 9411 in the wing. These servos do stick out a little on the bottom but considering you cant see them underneath the plane I was happy to put these in. For flaps i installed the Hitec H-7955TG which fit in nicely under the covers. I also made a small change with the power supply to the Hydraulic motor. I installed a Hyperion 6.6 volt 1600mah battery. I find this is a little kinder to the pump and does not slow the retract much.

For the rest of the power supply i installed as follow

<o></o>

RX—2X Duralite 3800mah 6.6v

ECU – 2X Jetcat 9.9v 2100 mah

Lights—1X Booma 2600mah 6.4v

<o></o>

The aircraft came in at 20.7 kilos Dry.

<o></o>

I have posted some photos of the lighting system and will post more photos of the installation tomorrow as it has gotten dark.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33956.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1880725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92871.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	1880726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59806.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1880727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86361.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	1880728  
Old 05-10-2013, 02:03 AM
Justflying1

I must also add that when i installed the Fuel system i used my own hardware. Well not really my own. I purchased the Intairco fittings and hysolled these in to the tanks. The tanks needed some modification as they come with the hole already cut out on top of the tank. With the design of the tank I would have preferred the hole to be in the centre. So I fiberglass the top hole and cut a new hole in centre of tank. I than hysolled the new fittings in. I also went over all the small imperfections I could see with epoxy just in case.

When making up the fuel pick up line for the inside of the tank I like to install a small piece of brass tube between the clunk and tank fitting. I do this so it minimizes the clunk to tend to turn around and come back to the front of the tank. With all this done I pressurized all the tanks which turned out all perfect and no leaks. Much better to spot a leak before everything goes into the plane. The test is very easily achieved by filling up the sink with water inserting the tank one at a time under the water and blowing by mouth through the breather. This pressurizes the tank and any leaks will be spotted by air bubbles coming to the top.

<o></o>

The other small detail I did was to paint the inside rear gear doors. The full size plane gear doors are painted to match the fuselage. I think this makes it look a lot nicer. I also made up a Dynamic pressure probe and mounted it on the right hand side like the full scale version. Just a few little things that I believe make the plane look a lot nicer.

Name:	Tr49099.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1880730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83633.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1880731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99007.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1880732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59464.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	1880733  
Old 05-10-2013, 02:06 AM
Justflying1

Steering servo fitted was a HS-7985MG

Will post the rest of the photos tomorrow.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:48 AM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking great Ivan. She's ready to rock. Looking forward to hearing about the maiden.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:44 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

More pics!! Mine is on he until I get the pipe straightened out.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Justflying1

This morning I balanced my Mig. I made a Jig which slots in the front pin and wing tube of the Mig wing so it can be lifted safely to do the balance. This was made using a sheet of 1mm fiberglass. The idea was suggested by Peter from Intairco as I am always picking the brain of certain experienced operators. Thank you once again Peter.

<o></o>

Levi who owns a Skymaster Mig has his balance set at 210mm from the leading edge and he tells me it fly’s very well set at this C of G. I have decided to go with 215mm for the first flight and will adjust to suit after this. As you can see my Home made overhead crane came in very handy for this situation. No added weight was used for the balance.

<o></o>

For those who know me I do like to run a serious of tests both at home and at the field prior to me taking the plane for my Maiden. The first test at home did not go as planed as there was a lot of heat generated mainly from the number 1 engine. So back to the drawing board. As stated earlier this aircraft is designed around the 100n size engine so the P100 would have been perfect. By fitting the larger turbines heat issues was on my mind. The other issue is at all times great care has to be taken in throttle management considering the thrust the two turbines put out. After having some more discussions with Peter and another fellow member from the VJAA I decided to add some ceramic heat blanket around where the turbine sits. This made a huge difference and know the heat is at an acceptable level. Another idea which should be done to all planes is to start them into the wind. This will make sure that there is always a fresh flow of air into the air intakes. Obviously ones the plane is in the air with the movement this would not be a problem.

<o></o>

I also tried my best to keep things as neat as possible. I guess it wasn’t until I got to the brain part of the aircraft that things started to look a little messy with all the wires.

I think this is where the S Bus system would have come in handy and considering you don’t need a Futaba radio to run it all, this would be my choice for certain future projects.

<o></o>

I will go to my local field tomorrow to do the rest of my tests and if all goes well it will be ready for a maiden flight at the next VJAA jet meet.

Name:	Hf99206.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	1880885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34248.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1880886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62096.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1880887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91594.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1880888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16520.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1880889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27496.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1880890  
Old 05-10-2013, 06:39 PM
Justflying1

Name:	Ig12821.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	1880891   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27014.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	1880892   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47660.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	1880893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96499.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1880894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10272.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1880895  
Old 05-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Aussie Bart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Ivan

Looks a real winner, glad it did not make it to Wang as Robby would of had a fight on his hands for top scale!!!!!

Just curious, how are the aileron & flap servo's mounted. Are they mounted to the wing or to the servo cover? You don't seem to have any screws holding the covers on.

You coming to Monarto next weekend?? Did you score some time off work??
Old 05-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Justflying1

Thank you everyone for your replies.

<o></o>

Bart the servos are defiantly not mounted to the covers.

There are rails built into the wing for the fitment of the servos. Some small modifications had to be made to fit the servos with the Dramel. There are some small screws to hold the covers on but I also applied some hinge tape to stop any wind from getting under the covers.

<o></o>

Dr Scoles what problems are you having with the pipes. I did notice that on the single Mig-29 I have seen the pipe hit in the centre on the fuselage. Is this what you are talking about?

Old 05-10-2013, 08:09 PM
DrScoles

Ivan,

I didn't trust the first pipe, plus skymaster sent me the non-OVT version so it didn't fit. Tam made me one but it was a bit off, we are still working on it.

Everything else is pretty much ready to go.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:14 AM
Justflying1

Hi Bart,
I'm trying to get to Monartobut I cant be 100%.
I have booked accommodation but I will know for sure next week. I mite have to cancel. Hopefully not.
ORIGINAL: Aussie Bart

Hey Ivan

Looks a real winner, glad it did not make it to Wang as Robby would of had a fight on his hands for top scale!!!!!

Just curious, how are the aileron & flap servo's mounted. Are they mounted to the wing or to the servo cover? You don't seem to have any screws holding the covers on.

You coming to Monarto next weekend?? Did you score some time off work??
Old 05-11-2013, 01:31 AM
Jeremy_D

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great Ivan.

I've seen Levi's fly many times and it is absolutely suburb, you'll enjoy this plane very much
Old 05-11-2013, 02:53 AM
Aussie Bart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep understand Ivan, hope all the planets & moons line up for you and you can make it. I hear that Vinney is shouting the bar this year!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:55 PM
Justflying1

Just a quick up date.
Went to the local field today do do my tests on the Mig.
All went well and tracking straight on the Taxi tests. Everything else seemed good.
Only small concern I have was the difference in Temperature readings from the turbine ECU. For instancebefore start up I had0 on one and 14 on the other.
On the first start up the one reading 0quickly went up to nearly 1000 degrees Celsius before an E reading came up and thanthe temperature came down to a level close to the other one. I nearly shut the engine down. This was the first time it did this and allstarts before this and after well all ok however there is still the small difference in readings.Will check with Peter from Intairco who is the Jetcat cat Representative in Australia about this issue.
Airframe around engineand above tail pipe was only warm so all was good there. However considering I have some Ceramic heat blanket left I am going to line the top engine hatch and the area above the front pipe with the blanket. This is just me taking extra precautions and would not say its really needed.
The day at the field today was pretty bad with wind and always looked as if its going to rain. I guess this was good as I had the field to myself to do the checks which was needed without any interruptions.
As you all know most people love the site of any new aircraft but for the operator its very easy to get distracted and miss an important check.
So I can say that after I check with Peter about my issue my aircraft will be ready for its Maiden flight which will be at our next VJAA meeting at Wangaratta weather permitting .
Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ivan, looking forward to the flight report. Please post video if you can. The SM Mig is a very fun plane to fly.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:59 AM
Justflying1

Hello everyone,
Just a quick up date.
After speaking to Peter from Intairco about my issue with the different turbine temperatures I was asked to recalibrate the temperature.
For those who would like to know how to do this read on.
This calibration is for the Jetcat P140RX and im not sure if this is how you calibrate other Jetcats so please check before you try with other than the P140RX.
The calibration temperature is 21 degrees Celsius and only this temperature setting should be used.
I used an aquarium digital thermometer to heat my garage to 21 degrees Celsius.
Once the temperature was reached I pushed the select menu on the ECUand turned the aircraft on.
Your GSU will go into learn mode first but do not let go until the calibration comes on.
This takes a little while but ones it comes on you can let go of the select menu and the calibration is done.
The turbine will now be showing 21 Degrees Celsius.
If however you take the turbine to a cooler temperature than 21 it will show therite temperature and vise versa, however for the purpose of calibration this must be done at 21 degrees Celsius.
Happy flying
Old 06-11-2013, 03:25 AM
Justflying1

Just a quick update.
I have maiden the Mig but only put one flight on the last day of the SA Jet Meet.
The plane flew really well with no bad habits and trimming was plain sailing.
Unfortunately I don’t have any Videos or picks but hopefully will get some when I fly it again at the next VJAA meet. (Weather permitting)
One thing I didn’t like was the throttledigital trim on the DX 18 butafter getting on my PC I was able to program the SD card and change this to 3 clicks to full trim.
I find this a little better in the event of needing to shut the engines in a hurry but obviously everyone got there proffered preference.
I had one minor problem on take off when I blew a hydraulic line whichlooked likea right engine out until landing. Lucky for me after doing some investigating at home to see what line blew and trying to determine the cause the line that blew did not effect the landing gear going down.My investigation came up that the line must have blown by being a touch to long and touching the engine after retracting.Unfortunately with the size and weight of this model I could not put it on the test stand fueled up and check the landing gear operation with the engines running. It’s the only check I didn’t do with this plane and as Murphy's law haves it its what failed.In saying this the gear was checked for operation on a test stand with out engines running and I never noticed any lines touching.
IM really looking forward in doing more flights on this model and finish dialing it in to my liking.
I also would like to Thank everyone who gave me advise on this plane.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:58 AM
DrScoles

Congrats Ivan! Did you mix ailerons on the elevator? If yes, how much travel did you put in for each?

I'm in gear door hell right now, can't get them all to open and close with authority. Did you have to do any re-working on them?
Old 06-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Justflying1

There was no mixing of ailerons and elevator as yet. I don't have any experience with this and would rather get some advise from someone who has done this before I go in the dark about it. As for the doors the front where perfect and didn't require anything, however the rear doors where a little pain. The two rear larger doors where the problem. One of them required a little trimming whith the dramel tool to open which I did before painting. The other door would open but not close. I found that when opened the little swivel arm was extending to far and was stopping the door from closing again. The little block that makes it stop seemed a little to far back so I added a small piece of match stick which I sand papered down a little and glued it in place. The arm now doesn't go to far back and straighten out which was causing not being able to close again. I also pump 130PSI into the cylinder system other wise the rear doors will play up. This is just my opinion but it does seem the rear gear door cylinders do leak a little and probably a little to small for the task. I will keep a close eye on them for now but next time I need to do an order in the states I will order Two BVM door cylinders for the rear. Unfortunately I have not found them for sale in Australia and the postage that usually gets priced for just two cylinders is a little ridiculous.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:46 PM
DrScoles

Ivan, I did the exact same thing to the little blocks! LOL I haven't gone over 100psi, I'll look at that. I lubricated the cylinders, and trimmed them quite a bit.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:45 AM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Ivan,

Great to hear u got the maiden done. Nice work. I'm looking forward to seeing it fly at the next jet meet.

I forgot to tell u at Wangaratta I have mixed a little down elevator in with full flap. A few times she didn't want to come down and this mix helped heaps with the landings.

Dr Scoles I had a similar issue with my main gear doors. I replaced the original rams with larger diameter more powerful ones and that fixed the problem. Even down around 70 psi they still close.

Levi
Old 06-12-2013, 03:07 AM
Justflying1

HI Levi,
I have mixed 5% down elevator with landing flaps but have yet to test them out.
On maiden I only used take take off flap setting for take off and landing. I still have some dialing to do on this plane so will check settings on next flight.
What brand cylinders did you use and size?
Do these new cylinders leak?
Also how is you new beast going? You can send me PM if you prefer.
Ivan
Old 06-12-2013, 04:57 AM
DrScoles

Levi,

do you remember what brand and size of cylinders you used? I pumped it up to around 130 last night and it seemed to make a difference, but there was no air flow pushing or pulling on them...

Did you mix aileron into the elevators? If yes, do you remember the throws?

Thanks, Mike
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Justflying1

Dr Scoles,
not sure why you would want ailerons mixed with elevator as there is no roll what so ever when the elevator is applied.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.