Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

THEFT ALERT LOS ANGELES AREA Comp Arf Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

THEFT ALERT LOS ANGELES AREA Comp Arf Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:52 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default THEFT ALERT LOS ANGELES AREA Comp Arf Corsair

I purchased the plane from Michael Radu in the bay area, a nearly completed Comp Arf Corsair with Moki 250 and a ton of accessories. My brother in law picked it up in the bay area and then drove to LA to pick up some dental equipment I purchased. The truck was stolen at his hotel this morning.

This is a half painted comp arf corsair with a moki 250 hanging off the front of it, nearly impossible not to identify it. If any LA people are reading this, please share with local hobby shops. Here is a link to several detailed photos of the plane.

http://radumodels.com/compositearfcorsair/

Old 06-12-2013, 09:03 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: THEFT ALERT LOS ANGELES AREA Comp Arf Corsair

Best of luck....man that just sucks...
[]

Casey
Old 06-12-2013, 09:15 AM
wingspar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm also live in Redmond. CMAA member?

I'd keep an eye on Craigs list in the LA area.

Dave
Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 AM
DrScoles

Yes Dave, hope to be out this weekend! thanks.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Chris Nicastro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh man so sorry to hear that. I hope the theif is caught very soon before any damage or loss happens.

I know how that feels I had my entire roller toolbox stolen out of our garage in LA one time. The guy pulled up with a white truck and cut the lock then proceeded to pick up and dump my toolbox into the bed thn he took off. I had tools in there from my special effects days that have sentimental value. Its a total violation, at least it was for me.

This crap just goes against the code, you dont mess with a guys car or tools. If I could have caught the guy he would have gotten the beating of a lifetime!

Best of luck on the recovery of your plane, truck and your piece of mind. Im sure through filing a police report, wanted posters in hobby shops and the local flying fields this plane and the guy will surface.

Did you get or do you have access to the serial numbers on the plane and engine? Maybe with the previous owners help you can get those numbers if you dont have them already. I can pull my kit out to shoot photos of the production numbers I have found on mine if you need that for ref.

Sorry man,

Chris
Old 06-12-2013, 12:52 PM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, pls post the serial number of the engine. Also send that Info to Troybuilt and Vogelsang Aeroscale so that they know its "hot."

Whit
Old 06-12-2013, 01:04 PM
ThunderBoat42

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You may want to put another post in the general planes section for more exposure. 
Old 06-12-2013, 01:16 PM
ram3500-RCU
My Feedback: (221)

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Good suggestions guys. I am in shock as well. Like Mike said though, this plane is very identifiable, and the thief will likely not have a clue what he has.

I so hope this has a happy ending.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

very sorry to hear that, low lifes everywhere. Could I suggest contacting the pawn shops around the place? Chances are they will want quick cash and will try to offload it there. If it is just joyriders you may be lucky to recover the truck and plane when they have finished with it.

Best of luck, I hope the universe is kind.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:44 PM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DrScoles

I purchased the plane from Michael Radu in the bay area, a nearly completed Comp Arf Corsair with Moki 250 and a ton of accessories. My brother in law picked it up in the bay area and then drove to LA to pick up some dental equipment I purchased. The truck was stolen at his hotel this morning.

This is a half painted comp arf corsair with a moki 250 hanging off the front of it, nearly impossible not to identify it. If any LA people are reading this, please share with local hobby shops. Here is a link to several detailed photos of the plane.

http://radumodels.com/compositearfcorsair/

I'm in the L.A. area and will definitely put the word out.....

Hate thieves.....makes me sick.

I'll also monitor Craigslist here to make sure the scumbags don't post it for sale. I figure if they try to sell the stiff they may try to do it on Craigs.

S
Old 06-13-2013, 03:17 PM
ram3500-RCU

I forgot to ask, what kind of truck was it Mike?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:41 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

It's been several years since I bought my vehicle but I thought they started putting in GPS on vehicles?
They have enough 'crap' on vehicles now, seems like that would be a minor expense!
Old 06-13-2013, 03:45 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yah, they inject a smartchip in your new cat or dog if you get one of those. Seems easy enough to do that with your new car! lol
Old 06-13-2013, 04:04 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

Yah, they inject a smartchip in your new cat or dog if you get one of those. Seems easy enough to do that with your new car! lol
The car dealers offer a LoJac or Sky Link that will provide a location of your vehicle , after YOU report it missing ,which is great ,but get this , the insurance companies do not give you discount . IMO the insurance company would rather pay for ones vehicle loss as to recover it along with the items inside . I sure hope your insurance company will pay you for the loss of ther F4U and related items .

Semper Fi
Joe

Old 06-15-2013, 06:06 AM
DrScoles

UPDATE:

Police have actually been very cool. Two different detectives called me and took a report. I had great pics of the plane and they did an email flier to all the LA police departments. I offered a reward on craigslist, but not sure where to put it in LA, its a huge area. I put a similar post on RCgroups and flying giants. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

The loss of the plane, or even the money (not sure about that yet) is not the thing that kills me. Its all the time Michael Radu spent on getting it to the point it is now. Some crackhead can't appreciate what has gone into this plane. As it was, I could get it flying in a year or so. Now, if I start with a new kit, we're talking 5-6 years! I have a two year old and one on the way, time is my most valuable commodity right now.

Did I mention that I hate thieves?
Old 06-15-2013, 11:44 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

I would check the AMA list of flying clubs from Ventura to San Diego and e-mail them a flyer with some photos if you make a email list you can do it in one shot, not individually.

if you wanted to do the craigs list thing also contact them about your situation and you should be able to post it regionally, as in Ventura co.,LA Co.,San Bernadino Co,Orange Co, and SD Co, its such a specialty item its got to turn up somewhere.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Chris Nicastro

Any luck on the serial numbers?
Old 06-16-2013, 03:05 PM
Peter_OZ
Banned

still think it will turn up in a pawn shop, idiots like theat will take a couple of hundred to get quick cash. I'd be doing a ring around of pawn shops.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Chris Nicastro

What motel was the truck stolen from?
City?
Old 06-20-2013, 06:58 AM
MRadu

All

Thanks for your efforts. Here is the serial number of the Moki engine that was stolen.

Moki S250 Radial engine SERIAL NUMBER # 250560

It was mounted to the CARF Corsair with a solo prop hub painted black and the front spinner was yellow. The blades were carbon fiber also painted flat black with scale blade info, Hamilton logos and yellow tips on front only.
I still get sick thinking about it.

The rudder and vertical fin was painted intermediate blue. The fuselage was painted white on bottom. The gear was paint white and installed. The tail was completely built. All servos were installed and set up in tail and wings. The plane had Down & Locked wings all installed and working.

Please keep an eye out and remember it can happen to us all, so please think ahead when leaving our airplanes unattended.

Thank you,

Michael Radu
Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 AM
DrScoles

ORIGINAL: Chris Nicastro

What motel was the truck stolen from?
City?

Motel 6 in Norwalk. It was parked right in front of the office. Right next to a sign saying there is video surveillance and a security guard....
Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Chris Nicastro

Here are two numbers on the wings to further ID the plane and one interior shot.

If possible it would be good to get word from CARF about these serial numbers to see if they have record of the production batch and the rest of the associated numbers with this kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10198.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	1893601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx68048.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	1893602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ac63027.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	1893603  
Old 06-20-2013, 09:13 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me personally, that thing would have been in the room with me not in the parking lot of a motel notel. Sorry for your loss, will keep an eye open in San Diego
Old 06-21-2013, 08:07 PM
ram3500-RCU

Still don't know what kind of truck it was, windows, or such, or maybe I missed it in a previous post. Hard to tell without knowing, if they were after the truck, or it's contents. But, I would have probably left the plane packed away in the truck as well, as long as there were no windows, or I could cover it up. Most guys just would not know what they were looking at.

Thieves just make me sick. My daughter in law had her ATM card number and expatriation date stolen yesterday, and somehow they went on a shopping spree, without the card!!! 7 stores later, they had gotten almost $1500 worth of stuff before the bank noticed what was happening, called, and shut it off. They went to Target twice!!!!!! This from a family with a 2 year old with special needs and huge medical bills.

These people will get what they deserve. Just a matter of time.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:43 AM
skillet92

Ram if they did it in the store without the card present it is with the help of the stories that they went. They have to have to have somebody working here that is apart of there little crime ring to punch the numbers in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.