Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

3w Bearcat CG and control throws???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

3w Bearcat CG and control throws???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:42 AM
Jonboy2
My Feedback: (62)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3w Bearcat CG and control throws???

Hello All,
I am working on a large 3W F8F Bearcat the I bought second hand. I have been having a hard time finding info on the correct CG and control surface throws. If there is anybody out there that has had one of these beauties that could assist I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks Jon
Old 06-10-2013, 12:51 PM
All Day Dan
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 3w Bearcat CG and control throws???

You can use this website to get the CG if no one knows. Put it at the 25 percent point.
http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_calc.htm#mac
Old 06-12-2013, 01:27 PM
smurfjet
My Feedback: (40)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Jon,

I just saw your post here. I'm flying my 3w Bearcat right at 7.5 inches back from leading edge of the wing at the root. It's perfect! Howard Davidson was (bought this plane from him) and Arnold Marcus and Mark Shapiro are all flying at the same CG.

Mine is right at 48.5 pounds dry but you would never know it. This might just be one of the easiest flying warbirds I've owned. It floats in at a crawl for landing and will lift off at 1/2 throttle on takeoff. Wide gear, large wing, etc. all make for a great flying plane. Don't worry about the weight.

Mine was damaged in a wind storm at FonDuLac a few years ago and it's been in "dry storage" until today..........I just finished a small repair to the leading edge of the wing. It had a hairline split right on the seam and the only thing left to do is re-wire the pull pull tail wheel cables.

I started a new job and have been out if town more than I have been home. It's definitely cut into my hobby time but I will get this one in the air hopefully late this month or early July.

Howard - if you are reading this, get ready for some stick time this summer.

I'll attach the only instructions that come with the kit - just a 3 view and some notes about CG and control throws.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83244.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	1891260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60806.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	1891261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rt31092.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	1891262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iu90922.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	1891263  
Old 06-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Jonboy2

Thanks for the responses guys. Dave, that looks to be exactly what I am looking for. Mark Shapiro had told me that the CG and control info had come in his kit scribbled on a 3 view just like those pics you sent. Did you set your control throws per the hand written info. on the three view or did you deviate and experiment with your own?? Thanks again. I do appreciate the info. Jon
Old 06-13-2013, 07:37 AM
smurfjet
My Feedback: (40)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest I used the "that looks about right" method. I usually set up triple rates on my transmitter and seem to always fly on high. I prefer my controls to be very sensitive and not mushy. I've flown friends planes with expo and I just don't like it. So my setup might not help you.

I'm out of town for while (back on the 26th) but if you want actual measurements I can do that when I'm home. No problem at all.

What paint scheme are you doing and what engine are you running? Did you buy the plane that was for sale in Ohio? I was debating re-painting mine this year - a friend has a Ziroli Bearcat with a great dark navy blue paint scheme on it. I just don't have the time right now with work to do it.

Dave
Old 06-16-2013, 07:46 PM
Jonboy2

Thanks Dave. I just sent you a PM. Jon