Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

EXPERT PILOTS

Old 06-12-2013, 04:15 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: EXPERT PILOTS

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Even if you know all about models, that doesn't make you an expert pilot.
I agree, one can be an expert by definition of the dictionary on a particular subject, but not in ones own eye hand coordination.

Bob
Old 06-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Pete Lane
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A pro only crashed once.......an EXPERT crashed twice. Plane
Old 06-12-2013, 04:54 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One who can fly both rotary and fixed wing at the same time.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:27 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

ORIGINAL: countilaw

I know one gentleman at our field that thinks he's an expert pilot. It just takes him three or four tries to get it back on the runway.
He can do loops, rolls, stalls and spins, just can't put the plane where he wants it.

You will never hear a real expert claim he's an expert.

Frank
+1
Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A expert pilot has experience. he can fly any plane and fly it pretty well. He can fly someone else plane for them and if the switches on the trans are not set up corectly. Like when a switch for high rates is switch the ailerons and elevators are backwards. The expert pilot can sense that right away and switch it back or continue to fly the plane with reversed controls. That is an expert pilot.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:02 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: flycatch

I'd like to see that!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:12 PM
karlik

ORIGINAL: sensei

... what criteria defines an expert pilot...

Bob
Same criteria that defines a cryptozoologist.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:35 PM
byrne1157

I don't know what constitutes an "Expert Pilot" , I just know it ain't me....
Old 06-13-2013, 12:36 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not wishing to be a smart-arse but, if you recognise what isn't an expert ... then you must also recognise what is an expert.

(OK, I lied about the first bit ...)

The aeroplane doesn't care what Ratings you hold.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:03 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: airraptor

A expert pilot has experience. he can fly any plane and fly it pretty well. He can fly someone else plane for them and if the switches on the trans are not set up corectly. Like when a switch for high rates is switch the ailerons and elevators are backwards. The expert pilot can sense that right away and switch it back or continue to fly the plane with reversed controls. That is an expert pilot.
Years ago one of the guys took off with an airplane called a Long John for those that remember, anyway he immediately started screaming for help; so I was nearest by and took over the transmitter to find that all the controls were backwards with the exception of the throttle, it seamed like eternity to get the airplane around the field one time and lined back up for a shaky but successful landing because I must of crashed 100 times without ever hitting the ground. So I would say I was very lucky at best but not an expert pilot by any means.

Bob
Old 06-13-2013, 04:40 AM
oliveDrab

ORIGINAL: 804

ORIGINAL: flycatch

I'd like to see that!
Wow........a transmitter in the left hand, a transmitter in the right hand, and operating the sticks with thumbs! LOL

Old 06-13-2013, 07:10 AM
guille2006

I don't think an expert pilot has to fly well; it has to make it safely and with a sharp sense of responsability. Great pilots becomes the worst (and stupid) when low flying close to people o pushes a plane beyond its capabilities... or just taking off planes that migth not be airworthy.
I don't think it's just making rolling circles or 3D.

Here is my sin: I consider myself very good pilot, but a propeller on my knee from my own plane made me really think "how good am I?"
Old 06-13-2013, 07:11 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Turn the transmitter 180 degrees to the right. Now only the throttle is reversed and problem solved.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:14 AM
[email protected]

i cu my thumb off many years ago its back on and works well thanks to ama so iam a fair pilot now lol
Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Limitless Aero
My Feedback: (17)

Probably team sponsered pilots or people paid to fly rc.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:02 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Common on, there are experts on every field. There is the expert car mechanic that teaches all other mechanics, there is the expert doctor in the medical school, the experts RC pilots get paid even with green money or with gifts to show the rest of us the arts of flying.
To call yourself an expert is a completely different story, there are only so many of them
Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 AM
houmax503
My Feedback: (4)

Their are more unknown experts than known experts!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:57 AM
erik valdez
My Feedback: (80)

Come to a Top Gun event and you will see the difference between the Men and the Boys.
Thats funny, looks to me like most of those guys are lucky to get it back on the ground in one peice! How many crashes did they have at Top Gun last year?

Old 06-13-2013, 11:00 AM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think in order to be considered an expert pilot (planes only, I dont know anything about Helis) that you would have to be in the same conversation with or at least hold your own in a contest against guys like (in no particular order):

David/Jason Shulman, Ali Machinchy, Pablo Fernandez, Sebatsian Silvestri, Quique Zomenzini, Frank Knoll, etc, etc. Now some of these guys are better at scale, some 3D, some patrtern, etc, but ALL of them are MUCH MUCH better than you or I.

Whether its IMAC, Pattern, Precision, Scale, it dont really matter to them, they are better than you if you give them 3-5 minutes to learn the routine. Experts dont need you to tell them what expo you use, or how you are set up. They just figure it out 'by feel' as they fly your plane. I once saw Shui making adjustments and programming a guys Futaba radio as the jet was taxiing out to the flight line for maiden. He flew it like he had set it up and dialed her in years ago. When he landed we all agreed (including the owner of the plane) that the flight we just saw would be the best that jet would ever fly Lol.

I am above average but laughed when someone called me an "expert" at a recent event. Not even close. I tend to agree that it seems a disproportionate number of people seem to rank themselves as "Expert" in the RCU personal info section. As a side note, if you are an expert builder, but NOT an expert pilot, I dont think you can call yourself an expert. Conversely, since we are a society more in tune with performance than set-up, I think if you are an expert pilot but cant tell CA apart from Hysol, you could still be considered an expert.

Anyway, just my 0.02c

Cheers,
Shaz
Old 06-13-2013, 11:05 AM
[email protected]

to lopflyers>>>>just because some knows more then another person does not make him a expert
Old 06-13-2013, 11:12 AM
zacharyR
My Feedback: (5)

i consider myself mediocre , expert I would say someone who'm is on a world level for example they would be in the top 5 % of the worlds pilots and you can do things that just other pilots can't
and they know they can't do it

i think alot of pilots have egos that exceed their skill , for example only a handle full maybe 5 pepole at my club are decent on the grand scale of things but i know for a fact one of them thinks they are world class ..

he even went as far to tell me storys that he use to beat Andrew jeskey back in the day .. and i just cant help but laugh

AJ would be a expert pilot to me ... for sure world class and only fool would tell such tall tales

Old 06-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In control line precision aerobatics we have skill classes: Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and Expert. I was a mid-level Advanced flier at my best. Advanced fliers generally garner between 400 and 500 point scores. If you win several times at a skill level, there is peer pressure to move up to the next level.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:29 AM
fly24-7

In the book Outliers written by Malcom Gladwell, he defines an expert (based on his research) as someone who had practiced a particular discipline or skill for at least 10,000 hours. While I’m not sure that 10,000 is a magic number, the basic principle that applies is that it’s repetition for an extended period of time that makes someone really good at something.

While I doubt that many, if any of the RC pilots that are widely considered as experts have flown 10,000 hours, they have flown a great many more hours than the average guy. There’s a guy in my club who stopped working a couple of years back whose skills have greatly improved. He now flies for hours every single day and travels the country flying with others who fly for hours every single day.

There’s no shortcut for repetition…
Old 06-13-2013, 11:31 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no those are called PRO pilots
Old 06-13-2013, 12:07 PM
[email protected]

wish i had his money to do that where is aroura ill iam from peoria ill have not been home in 25 yrs

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.