Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Best Kits

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Best Kits

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:16 PM
harlanb
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Best Kits

+1
Old 06-12-2013, 08:31 PM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take a BlueJay aircraft over any of the other manufacturers if I could only choose one company.

www.bridiairplanes.com

I have never seen the quality of wood selection, handcrafted parts (no lazer-fried anything!), and care put into any kit like I have with BlueJay. That takes into consideration Great Planes, Top Flite, Carl Goldberg, Sig, Balsa USA, Pica.... I wouldn't be able to compare them to MK kits because MK is out of action now anyhow.

I am currently building the BlueJay Dirty Birdy and I have to tell you, it has been a complete JOY to build! What a great company!

Good luck on your decisions!

Brian

Old 06-13-2013, 03:13 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My vote goes to a Carden kit of anything they sell.

Bob
Old 06-13-2013, 03:36 AM
yel914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the BTE Venture 60. All kits should be this good
Old 06-13-2013, 08:21 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

On the fence about the CG Chipmunk kit. While it seems like a nice kit, some things didnt quite fit right. The plastic pieces for the wing for example, comes up short where it meets the rear of the fuse, yet matches the plans, so not sure what happened there, but the wood quality was high. Out of all the sheets needed for the top of the fuse, only one was hard enough to crack while bending, and that was only a minor crack at that. 

Compared to the Top Flite kits, I will take CG over TF, and SIG over both. One day I would like to try the Bridi kit. 
Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Navy18
My Feedback: (4)

The Carl Goldberg Chipmunk is a contradiction-of-issues.... not the best fitting kit with a few wood choices that should be replaced. However, that withstanding, the final product is an exceptioinal flyer. Worth the cost and frustration at times. A real nice; and forgiving, flyer. One of my favorites once I got her airborne. Once again, the kits problems are far outweighed by its performance... a little patience produces a great flyer.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:35 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Been working on it for about 6 months now, and being very patient with it too. Enjoying the build for sure as I am trying new techniques in covering and finishing.  This is my first fabric covering, and first dope/painted plane.  Its almost as easy as film, but more time consuming to finish.  Other than the large gap at the edges of the wing, the build has been easy, and all the wood has been fine. This is an original CG kit from when they were in Chicago, so that might have made the difference. 

Years ago I built a CG Piper Cub, and it was also a good kit, never got to fly it as the radio I had was made illegal at that time as it was AM. I sold it to someone who said it flew great. 

I have built 2 Sig kits, an LT40 which went together Super fast and flies great, and the other a 4*120 which also went together quickly, but required a few mods to make it a better plane. Its mostly finished, just need to complete the install of the DLE20 and radio.  It should also be a great flyer, its my second 4*120, the first an ARF that the wing snapped off on, but when it had a full wing, it was a fun flyer. 

I also have 2 Top Flite kits, a P-51 which is mostly built, at the covering stage, and a still in box Corsair, both Gold Edition. The TF instructions need work, some of the steps arent clear enough, and the material quality for some of it was not very good. 

If you want a quick build good flyer, SIG, a moderate build Goldberg, and complicated to some extent(Warbird with retracts), TF.

Maybe next year after I finish off my next 2 kits I will give the Bridi a try, just have to decide on which one.  Maybe I will try pattern after I wear out my two 3D planes(IE Crash them beyond repair).
Old 06-13-2013, 11:51 AM
AwwNaww

bluejay or Bruce Tharpe
Old 06-27-2013, 07:35 AM
teamwilly

BTE venture 60 by a country mile and second BTE fly'ng king

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_26...m.htm#11388137

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...999223&page=13

Old 06-27-2013, 10:03 AM
hrrcflyer

I'm going to mention a kit manufacturer that Anthony (Waconut) is familiar with as well. AMR, they offer a few different kits that are of exceptional quality. I can attest to the flying capability of their 50cc Stick. You can best describe it a H9 Ultrastick on steroids.....................LOL. My Buddy has one with a 3W78 twin on it and the things that plane will do is CRAZY. From what I understand, their low wing stick is an exceptional flyer as well. My dream plane is their 1/3 scale Waco. That plane sends shivers up my spine every time I see a picture of one.

Good luck with your decision.

Take care,
David