Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

O.S. Engines now made in China

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:07 AM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: O.S. Engines now made in China

Like your opinion is any different? Yours is just an opinion as well...lighten up Francis.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 AM
betarad

ORIGINAL: Rotten40851
I agree, However N.A.F.T.A. was the start of the demise of American manufacturing!!
N.A.F.T.A. has more to do with what little manufacturing success we have been able to hang on to than it's decline. The demise of American manufacturing started the moment we ripped off our shirts and began pounding our chests while declaring our superiority over the rest of the world, expecting that to effortlessly last forever. While we were busy doing that and not paying attention to the details, most of the rest of the world took some lessons from our Western model and ran with them. If you look closely you can still see a few of them up in the distance. Time to get back to basics and catch up with them.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Word!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NAFTAIs bad for the U.S.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:27 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

I get a kick out of these threads. It's so much fun to see the made in china, made in japan, made in mexico, made in america rants. And the funniest ones are the american made rants where the ranter has no idea from where the orignal material came. And they have no idea, not even a glimmer of a concept, that the problem is with the company making the decision to build something cheaper, not where it is made.
At least I know that Fox engines are 100% American made. And if the regulations of this country make it unfavorable to manufacture anything here, it is our fault because we have the power to vote.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:11 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If OS or any other company choose to have their product made in China, then it's the company decision to set the quality control standards.

I wouldn't think for one second that Chinese built OS engines are made in a bicycle shop with a hacksaw and file. OS would specify the materials to be used, the fit and finish of the parts and if they didn't come up to what OS specified then OS should bin the lot and change manufacturer.

If OS are letting the Chinese manufacturer decide the type of aluminium, steel, brass and plastic then that leaves the door wide open for poor quality materials to creep into the mix.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:46 PM
falcon_56

the box on the AX 65 I just bought, that runs like crap. I posted about it the clubhouse forum
Has OS offered to send you a prepaid shipping label to return the engine and look at the problem?

Old 06-12-2013, 02:59 PM
JKinTX

ORIGINAL: betarad

Made in China...it's the new "Made in Japan"
Gotta help out the PLA all we can!
Old 06-12-2013, 03:04 PM
JKinTX

ORIGINAL: betarad

I agree, However N.A.F.T.A. was the start of the demise of American manufacturing!!
N.A.F.T.A. has more to do with what little manufacturing success we have been able to hang on to than it's decline. The demise of American manufacturing started the moment we ripped off our shirts and began pounding our chests while declaring our superiority over the rest of the world, expecting that to effortlessly last forever. While we were busy doing that and not paying attention to the details, most of the rest of the world took some lessons from our Western model and ran with them. If you look closely you can still see a few of them up in the distance. Time to get back to basics and catch up with them.
Actually, if you look at history, we provided them with the money, technology, and market to do that with.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:09 PM
wallace.tharp

I get a kick out of these threads. It's so much fun to see the made in china, made in japan, made in mexico, made in america rants. And the funniest ones are the american made rants where the ranter has no idea from where the orignal material came. And they have no idea, not even a glimmer of a concept, that the problem is with the company making the decision to build something cheaper, not where it is made.
At the very least put a capital A in the word America, I get a kick out of people like you that have no idea how to respect the country they live in.
Well said with the capital "A." Somebody earlier said , old saw this subject, and it's true. Japan did bring itself from the manufactering of junk to some of the best quality in the world. If interested in the dry facts, check out "Demming and Total Quality Management." A guy on a RCU forum name of (Dr. Motor) did a great rant on for whom China builds almost all the R/C electric motors available to us. Hacker is about the best offered in my opinion and almost all of them, are "Made in China". It matters which bearings, magnets etc. are used in the motors and I am told that Hacker monitors this closely. Cost of labor come in here, as does cost of shipping. The Koreans have come from cars that nobody wanted to buy or drive to a first class world competator. How did they do that? It was & is attention to detail, knowledge of buyers, cooperation of your own government & so on. Much like the drug problem in America, If nobody is willing to buy it, they will stop bringing it. Just sayin. wallace.tharp
Old 06-12-2013, 03:18 PM
JKinTX

ORIGINAL: wallace.tharp

At the very least put a capital A in the word America, I get a kick out of people like you that have no idea how to respect the country they live in.
Well said with the capital "A" Somebody earlier said , old saw this subject, and it's true. Japa id bring itself from the manufactering of junk to some of the best quality in the world. If interested i the dry facts, theck out "Demming and Total Quality Management." A guy on RCU name of Dr. Motor did an exausting, ad nausium, great rant on who China builds almost all the R/C electric motors. Hacker is about the best offered in my opinion and almost of them, (Made in China). It matters which bearings, magnets etc. are use in the motors fand I am told that Hacker monitors this closely. Cost of labor come in here, as does cost of shipping. The Koreans have come from cars that nobody wanted to buy or drive to a first class world competator. How did they do that? It was & is attention to detail, knowledge of buyers, cooperation of your won government & so on. Much liek the drug problem in America, If nobody is willing to buy it, they will stop bringing it. Just sayin. wallace.tharp
Before it was illegal, the "drug problem" in America was minisicule. The Volstead Act was a wonder of success also.
And just whom was it that kept their tails from getting overrun by the Reds and built up their infrastructure and manufacturing base?
Why Uncle Sugar and the US "taxpayers" that is who...
Old 06-12-2013, 03:34 PM
wallace.tharp

Popeye would probably say, "U gets what U pays for!" Pogo said, "We have met the enemy, we are him!" For the first time ever that I know of the Japanese are beginning to print up money much the same way the U. S. has been doing for all too long. They have been mostly in recession since about 1993. The dollar is already going down in value against the yen. We will see what happens to thier prices. wallace.tharp
Old 06-12-2013, 03:34 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

This thread is getting out of control.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:42 PM
JKinTX

Actually, it is: "We have met the enemy and they are us"!

It won't make any difference what they do now, their economy is in an implosion state as our's is teettering on the brink of same. They have nowhere left to run or hide.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:46 PM
DISCUS54
My Feedback: (211)

Does anyone know where OS is manufacturing their electric motors? Their gasoline engines are still being manufactured in Japan even though they are making 2 strokes in China.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:28 PM
bjr_93tz

EDIT:Whhops Wrong thread []
Old 06-12-2013, 07:51 PM
okdreamin
My Feedback: (9)

Hey guys,  While on vacation in South Carolina.  An owner of a hobby shop said that D A was not true American anymore.  He stated that the engine parts were made in China and that they were only assembled in the US.  Does anybody else have any knowledge concerning this.  thanks

Old 06-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Dauntae

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: okdreamin

Hey guys, While on vacation in South Carolina. An owner of a hobby shop said that D A was not true American anymore. He stated that the engine parts were made in China and that they were only assembled in the US. Does anybody else have any knowledge concerning this. thanks

That's happening to everything right down to Harley Davidson, If you take off the starter it says made in Japan right on it lol at least it's not China but nothing is true USA made any more. Really sad to be honest.

Dauntae
Old 06-13-2013, 12:22 AM
bjr_93tz

From something I read about Castle Creations ESC's apparently it's becomming much more difficult to label something as "Made in the USA" due to the criteria being applied.

Most of the discrete components for the ESC's are imported, and I think even the PCB's are but even though the components are placed and soldered, wires added and then programmed in the USA apparently it's only considered "assembling" of parts from a legal point of view. It also sounds like it's far safer to label something as "Assembled in the USA" otherwise some Gov't dept. will go through you with a fine tooth comb to make you prove you're actually complying with the "Made inthe USA" labeling requirements and it's not worth the hassle (and potential penalties).

It almost sounds like if the ore wasn't mined, smelted, turned into a billet and machined in the USA then I think "Designed and Assembled in the USA" is about the only description that can be used....
Old 06-13-2013, 12:36 AM
controlliner

A lot of manufacturing processes here in North America are highly expensive due to HAZMAT processing and disposal. We are putting the pinch on it to save our environment. Production in China is relatively cheap. Well just google HAZMAT disposal in China. [:@] China is the foremost country in the World to get chrome plating done because it is cheap. Everyone knows that chrome plating is a very expensive process from the start right until the PROPER DISPOSAL of the spent plating solution. You have to ask yourself, why can China do it so cheaply?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:49 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: falcon_56

the box on the AX 65 I just bought, that runs like crap. I posted about it the clubhouse forum
Has OS offered to send you a prepaid shipping label to return the engine and look at the problem?

They did not offer a prepaid shipping label but, , they said to send it in and that if it is indeed a problem covered under warranty, they will fix it at no cost. but if it not a minumum charge of 20 dollarsplus partsif it takes under 1 hour to fix, if it takes more than 1 hour ,it's40 dollars an hour. I will not send it in because the engine runs fine on thebench, and on the plane in every position. I am very proficient in running in and tuning glow engines. I know abouttank position and vibration. This engine sucks and I refuse to have any more headaches, wich is the reasoon I have used O.S. Engines almost exclusively for over 30 years!! I lost a brand new Matt Chapman Eagle 580 due to the 6th deadstick of this engine.Ihave reccomended O.S. toeverybodyI have ever taught to fly or anyone who has ever asked for advice, I can no longer do so with a clear head. They have lost a valued and loyal customer.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:54 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: controlliner

A lot of manufacturing processes here in North America are highly expensive due to HAZMAT processing and disposal. We are putting the pinch on it to save our environment.
Maybe we should just build all our manufacturing plants along the border and pipeline all that stuff into Mexico.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:33 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: controlliner

A lot of manufacturing processes here in North America are highly expensive due to HAZMAT processing and disposal. We are putting the pinch on it to save our environment. Production in China is relatively cheap. Well just google HAZMAT disposal in China. [:@] China is the foremost country in the World to get chrome plating done because it is cheap. Everyone knows that chrome plating is a very expensive process from the start right until the PROPER DISPOSAL of the spent plating solution. You have to ask yourself, why can China do it so cheaply?
...they're practicing the 'ol American method of dumping the waste drums in the stream out back... That should catch up to them in 20~30 years or so, maybe. Some did think Melamine was good for kids????

As I work in manufacturing, much of what is said here is true. More and more components are going "global" as it is so much cheaper to manufacture elsewhere. Couple that with the Walmart mentality of the American consumer and you end up with the perfect storm 'a brewin'.

The Chinese will make to your specs and standards for sure, you just have to be on them like white-on-rice-on-a-paper-plate-in-a-snowstorm-in-the Arctic.....

Old 06-13-2013, 06:05 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The HazMat and disposal processes have really hurt manufacturing.  The company I worked for stoppped the plating process years ago, and even the chromating because of the costs.  It costs more to dispose of the chemicals that it does to buy them, and they are expensive because of the controls.  Then there are wages.  NAFTA hurt Canada just as much as the US, maybe more so lately.  I guess Mexico won that one?   I wouldn't be too concerned where the motors are made, as long as OS stands behind them and keeps their eye on the quality.  I personally wouldn't pay more though, but that is maybe just me.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:23 AM
Radimani

O.S. Japan headquarter started their official facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/OS-Eng...43917789038585

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.