Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Olimpic II electric conversion sugge3stions?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Olimpic II electric conversion sugge3stions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 06:19 AM
uliner
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Olimpic II electric conversion sugge3stions?

I have been gifted an older Olympic II glider. I would like to convert it to electric. I am looking for low cost setups for this airplane. I don't want screaming climbs, just brisk ones.

I am thinking something like a rimfire 10 would do the job? Or is there a better solution? Cheap is good hobby king is OK as well.

Would like to use a large ish folding prop and some to the 3 cell batteries I already have.

The airplane is build but I will cut off the nose block and get new servos and RX.
Also will 9gm servos have enough toque?

Thanks for your help.

Dave
Old 06-13-2013, 06:54 AM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Olimpic II electric conversion sugge3stions?

Just some thoughts,
Is it just rudder, elevator or is their also some spoilers to drive? I'm not sure, but you might need a BEC if more than two servos. See: http://www.castlecreations.com/products/ccbec.html Something about the limitations on the ESC without a BEC??
Will you have enough room in the nose/fuse for a 3cell 2100/2200mah battery and esc and RX???
You might check the electric sailplanes forum at the "groups" website too....there has probably been some who have done just what you are wanting to do.
Garyss
Old 06-13-2013, 07:30 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: uliner

I have been gifted an older Olympic II glider. I would like to convert it to electric.
I have a very good plane for convertion, the OLYII carries weight very well.

I am looking for low cost setups for this airplane. I don't want screaming climbs, just brisk ones.
That's good, you'll catch more thermals if it takes you a minute to get to height than if it takes you 10 seconds, IF you use the time to watch for good air.

I am thinking something like a rimfire 10 would do the job? Or is there a better solution? Cheap is good hobby king is OK as well.
Not sure about this, I'd say you want a motor that makes as much power as a .15~.20 nitro.

Would like to use a large ish folding prop and some to the 3 cell batteries I already have.
The big prop is fashionable, but you need a motor that can turn it and batteries that can feed it. I have a 120" sailplane that I have a 12" prop on, people all said I needed a 15~16" prop, mine works fine, link to my plane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4JxiemLMCo @ about 2:30 it shows looking back on launch.

I have several 2M that have 550 can motors in them and they have 8~9" props, they fly well. The OLYII might need a little more motor though, and I wouldn't use a can motor anymore. If that Rimfire .10 can turn a 8" prop I'd go with a 8" folder.

What batteries do you have?

The airplane is build but I will cut off the nose block and get new servos and RX.
Also will 9gm servos have enough toque?
You'll want servos that have ~50oz of torque.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:27 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Have a look at my answer in post #3 of this thread;

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11542248/tm.htm

Just modify the initial weight up from the 32oz max for the 650 up to around 48'ish for your Oly II. You'll also be looking at 10 to 14 inch prop options as more suitable to the needs for the bigger model. Just modify the weights and powers as explained for your own needs.