Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: O.S. Engines now made in China

Novarossi REX, FTW @ planet hobby, made in Italy  

Old 06-13-2013, 08:02 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

American manufacturing remains about 20% of global production year after year.
China has about doubled in the last 15 years.
Japan is in moderate decline.
US manufacturing employment is definitely dropping.
The stuff we still make is just not stuff you see at Targ-Mart.
Stuff like machine tools, turbines, locomotives, bulldozers,
radio towers, big rig trucks, big expensive stuff. But lots of the raw materials
come from elsewhere.

I was in the bicycle business for several years, the bike mfg. moved to Japan.
then Taiwan, then China, all had teething pains, then they got really good.
The 80's Japanese upper end racing bikes are pretty highly sought after now.
Even good old Schwinn went to Japan for "10 speeds" and at first they were OK
but nothing special. Tough to find any Japanese made bike now. Or US made bikes
unless you go pretty high end.
Dave

https://www.uschina.org/public/docum...ufacturing.pdf
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you check firther you will find that OS appears to be testing the waters, so to speak, with a few engine models being "made in China". The AX series is sort of a sport economy series of engines from OS. At this time I only know of a couple of these engines being made there the 46AX and the 55AX. I am not sure if OS will be extending it to the other engines yet or not.

Now a huge plus would be if OS lets them use Chrome plating on the Chinese made engines instead of the nickle plating they use now.

The quality should still be there as OS would be watching that very closely with these engines. The Chinese can made really good products or really cheap products, it all depends on the contracts and who is handling the quaslity control part or not. The cheap engines generally have a lot less attention given to them as quality costs more of course.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:41 AM
Antares100
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: Hemikiller

ORIGINAL: controlliner

A lot of manufacturing processes here in North America are highly expensive due to HAZMAT processing and disposal. We are putting the pinch on it to save our environment. Production in China is relatively cheap. Well just google HAZMAT disposal in China. [:@] China is the foremost country in the World to get chrome plating done because it is cheap. Everyone knows that chrome plating is a very expensive process from the start right until the PROPER DISPOSAL of the spent plating solution. You have to ask yourself, why can China do it so cheaply?
...they're practicing the 'ol American method of dumping the waste drums in the stream out back... That should catch up to them in 20~30 years or so, maybe. Some did think Melamine was good for kids????

As I work in manufacturing, much of what is said here is true. More and more components are going "global" as it is so much cheaper to manufacture elsewhere. Couple that with the Walmart mentality of the American consumer and you end up with the perfect storm 'a brewin'.

The Chinese will make to your specs and standards for sure, you just have to be on them like white-on-rice-on-a-paper-plate-in-a-snowstorm-in-the Arctic.....

The Chinese had a big problem late last year with one of their industrial residue dumping "lakes" breaching a wall of the levy they built. All the industrial waste flooded the local village. When you don't have to answer to an EPA, your costs to manufacture drop to practially 0. Living next to these dumping grounds cannot be good. Nevermind the water supply or crops that soak up the waste.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 AM
falcon_56

ORIGINAL: Rotten40851

ORIGINAL: falcon_56

the box on the AX 65 I just bought, that runs like crap. I posted about it the clubhouse forum
Has OS offered to send you a prepaid shipping label to return the engine and look at the problem?

They did not offer a prepaid shipping label but, , they said to send it in and that if it is indeed a problem covered under warranty, they will fix it at no cost. but if it not a minumum charge of 20 dollarsplus partsif it takes under 1 hour to fix, if it takes more than 1 hour ,it's40 dollars an hour. I will not send it in because the engine runs fine on thebench, and on the plane in every position. I am very proficient in running in and tuning glow engines. I know abouttank position and vibration. This engine sucks and I refuse to have any more headaches, wich is the reasoon I have used O.S. Engines almost exclusively for over 30 years!! I lost a brand new Matt Chapman Eagle 580 due to the 6th deadstick of this engine.Ihave reccomended O.S. toeverybodyI have ever taught to fly or anyone who has ever asked for advice, I can no longer do so with a clear head. They have lost a valued and loyal customer.
I see. Sorry to hear about your plane. Ithink you are right. If you are most likely to end up paying $$$ to get warranty service, might as well invest that money on something else.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:09 AM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bring on the Zombie apocalypse
Old 06-13-2013, 10:14 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Made in china, Japan, malasia, Indonesia who cares, there are all far distant places that none of us ever being and that have cheap hourly wages.
Lets buy made in USA. If only there were some American manufacturers
Old 06-13-2013, 06:54 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those of us with lots of NIB engines by OS are a bit concerned about what will happen to our engines' value once word gets around. Of course, it could work to our advantage too.

My first OS engine was a .15 R/C engine. It was a gift from Ed Thompson, former teclnical editor of RCM magazine. After that it was an OS .58 R/C engine that powered my Goldberg Senior Falcon. My first "multi" R/C ship. Now there have been far too many of them to remember them all.

As I have heard repeated lately, "the only constant in life is change".

Let's keep our eyes open and see what the future holds.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-14-2013, 01:52 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

My first O.S. Engine was a MaxS 35 control line in the lateseventiesand it ran flawlessly. I have been using O.S. almost exclusively ever since, with the exceptionof a few Saito's and D.A. gas engines. This is upsetting tome because I have now seen first hand of how outsourceing a quality product can affect performance. It is a shame, as I stated earlier " I will never buy an O.S. engine againif it was made in China" Luckily I do have a stock of Quality O.S. engines to last mefor a while, But I will never reccomend them to anyone ever again after seeing the way this Chinese engine performs, you could just as well buy a Magnum or ASP for half the price that will most likely runbetter!!I am JohnnyRotten
Old 06-14-2013, 04:40 AM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Made in china, Japan, malasia, Indonesia who cares, there are all far distant places that none of us ever being and that have cheap hourly wages.
Lets buy made in USA. If only there were some American manufacturers
Well, when you have to deal with a unionized labor force, there is no competing in the world market. Thus manufacturing moves offshore.
The following users liked this post:
misterpanda (05-11-2022)
Old 06-14-2013, 07:03 AM
falcon_56

China can build good quality products just as the US can build cheap products. The only problem is when greed gets in the middle. There is nothing worst than a low quality product at a high quality price.

People paying for a product they could get a half the cost, do it because they expect flawless performance or excellent customer support. When you get neither you are screwed.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:25 AM
AMB

FOX USA has some new engines on the way-besides their current ones==enough said martin
Old 06-14-2013, 07:51 AM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting! Tower doesn’t seem to have a way to know which OS engines are made in China other than looking at the box or engine casting. So if you want to buy a Japanese made OS engine from Tower you would need to do a telephone order and specify that you do not want a Chinese engine and have them put the on the pick list. Until they take the engine out of stock they might not know the origin until they look at the box.

I have quite a few OS engines and they all were all made in Japan and I would not want a Chinese one. In my opinion think OS is making a mistake with the China connection.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 AM
rosnik

Only some cheap OS type engines and electric ,
are China made.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 AM
wallace.tharp

My first O.S. Engine was a Max S 35 control line in the late seventies and it ran flawlessly. I have been using O.S. almost exclusively ever since, with the exception of a few Saito's and D.A. gas engines. This is upsetting to me because I have now seen first hand of how outsourceing a quality product can affect performance. It is a shame, as I stated earlier '' I will never buy an O.S. engine again if it was made in China'' Luckily I do have a stock of Quality O.S. engines to last me for a while, But I will never reccomend them to anyone ever again after seeing the way this Chinese engine performs, you could just as well buy a Magnum or ASP for half the price that will most likely run better!! I am Johnny Rotten
We must have bought the same first engine. Mine was in the Base Exchange in Korat Thailand in 1969. Three of us decided we wanted to build a control line kit and go at it. I too was hooked on the quality of the O. S. 35. In defense of some Chinese stuff, I bought a power supply, form H. K. and it was & is so far, the same experience as the first O. S. engine. Th price was half of any other good one I could find. Price is a factor for most of us. wallace.tharp
Old 06-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: AMB

FOX USA has some new engines on the way-besides their current ones==enough said martin
What new engines? No new engines only refinements.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:40 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rosnik

are China made.
That is just bashing since it is not even close to true.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:54 PM
JKinTX

ORIGINAL: Dauntae

ORIGINAL: okdreamin

Hey guys, While on vacation in South Carolina. An owner of a hobby shop said that D A was not true American anymore. He stated that the engine parts were made in China and that they were only assembled in the US. Does anybody else have any knowledge concerning this. thanks

That's happening to everything right down to Harley Davidson, If you take off the starter it says made in Japan right on it lol at least it's not China but nothing is true USA made any more. Really sad to be honest.

Dauntae
Old 06-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Hircflyer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife bought me a new camera for Fathers day. An expensive Nikon with several extra lens.....YUP! you guessed it...Stamped on it and the lens MADE IN CHINA

And the manual Printed in Thailand.

nuf said
The following users liked this post:
misterpanda (05-11-2022)
Old 06-14-2013, 06:56 PM
JKinTX

ORIGINAL: Dauntae

ORIGINAL: okdreamin

Hey guys, While on vacation in South Carolina. An owner of a hobby shop said that D A was not true American anymore. He stated that the engine parts were made in China and that they were only assembled in the US. Does anybody else have any knowledge concerning this. thanks

That's happening to everything right down to Harley Davidson, If you take off the starter it says made in Japan right on it lol at least it's not China but nothing is true USA made any more. Really sad to be honest.

Dauntae
The last HD bikeI had, a 1985 Sportster, had German made wheels and Japanese (Kayaba) forks and shocks. Jap carb too, and it once leaked gas all over the garage and that almost blew my house "over the rainbow"...
Worst motorcyce I ever had and a brand new bike too with less than 2500 miles on it when I got rid of it and GLADto see it go too!

Old 06-14-2013, 07:08 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: blw

are China made.

There you go, blw. The Chinese possess homebrewed jet fighters and nuclear weapons along with the ICBMs to deliver them. Anyone that thinks that they are not capable of producing some very high quality model airplane engines at a great price is just fooling themselves.

I'm not pro Chinese. I'm just not anti Chinese.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-14-2013, 07:13 PM
JKinTX

ORIGINAL: Antares100

A lot of manufacturing processes here in North America are highly expensive due to HAZMAT processing and disposal. We are putting the pinch on it to save our environment. Production in China is relatively cheap. Well just google HAZMAT disposal in China. [:@] China is the foremost country in the World to get chrome plating done because it is cheap. Everyone knows that chrome plating is a very expensive process from the start right until the PROPER DISPOSAL of the spent plating solution. You have to ask yourself, why can China do it so cheaply?
...they're practicing the 'ol American method of dumping the waste drums in the stream out back... That should catch up to them in 20~30 years or so, maybe. Some did think Melamine was good for kids????

As I work in manufacturing, much of what is said here is true. More and more components are going "global" as it is so much cheaper to manufacture elsewhere. Couple that with the Walmart mentality of the American consumer and you end up with the perfect storm 'a brewin'.

The Chinese will make to your specs and standards for sure, you just have to be on them like white-on-rice-on-a-paper-plate-in-a-snowstorm-in-the Arctic.....

The Chinese had a big problem late last year with one of their industrial residue dumping "lakes" breaching a wall of the levy they built. All the industrial waste flooded the local village. When you don't have to answer to an EPA, your costs to manufacture drop to practially 0. Living next to these dumping grounds cannot be good. Nevermind the water supply or crops that soak up the waste.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:15 PM
JKinTX

ORIGINAL: Antares100

Not to mention you are stuffing funds into the pockets of the PLA for more nifty war toys, and the Chinese have nearly as bad a track record for human "rights" violations as Uncle does.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:19 PM
JKinTX

ORIGINAL: NM2K

are China made.

There you go, blw. The Chinese possess homebrewed jet fighters and nuclear weapons along with the ICBMs to deliver them. Anyone that thinks that they are not capable of producing some very high quality model airplane engines at a great price is just fooling themselves.

Ed Cregger

You might want to be fair and mention that most of that was due to "technology transfers" via Uncle Sugar. "Slick Willie" helped them out with improving their ICBMs and the neutron bomb.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:33 PM
NM2K

ORIGINAL: JKinTX

ORIGINAL: NM2K

are China made.

Ed Cregger

You might want to be fair and mention that most of that was due to ''technology transfers'' via Uncle Sugar. ''Slick Willie'' helped them out with improving their ICBMs and the neutron bomb.

I walked around cussing the US government for weeks after the technology (technology that the American tax payer developed and paid for) for chips and other sundry advanced technology items had been made to Japan and other countries some decades ago.

Ed Cregger

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.