Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 01:00 AM
InDaTube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

You sure do make great videos........

What software do you use to ceate the slow motion clips?

Kinda like a "Fast Motion" Jet Ski / Big Air / Skateboard Park / X-Games / XXL Pro / Snowboard Half-Pipe / Ramp to Ramp Ariel Competition!!!!!!!

I'm still a little Dizzy...... I'm kind of a 1970's Soul Surfer at heart.

InDaTube

Old 06-08-2013, 01:23 AM
InDaTube

Southern California: Surf Report

Forecast Recap:
Powerful long period SW-SSW groundswell built to it's peak , while only minor NW windswell mixed in. While a little wonky from the overnight/early morning winds for some spots, surf was solid for most Southern Hemi exposures in the 4-7' range. Good spots were larger in the 6-8'+ zone while standout focal points were up to double overhead 10-12'. Select deepwater magnets even saw some larger 12'++ sets. Solid SSW swell slowly eases through the weekend as some small off-season NW groundswell joins in. Check out the Premium Forecast for all the details!

Forecast Outlook:
SATURDAY: Solid SSW groundswell continues, while NW windswell is minimal. Many of the better Southern Hemi exposures throughout the region will offer head high to overhead surf, with standout summer breaks producing occasional sets running 2-3' overhead to near dbl overhead sets at times.(The Wedge in Newport will produce 12-15'+ faces on the bigger sets). 

Old 06-08-2013, 04:09 AM
YPC

Thanks Indatube !..........I could not have described it 'better myself'.......simply 'flat out ...all out....action !!!......dizzy...I like that.....LOL

Its a good expression of my - Surfing - Inflatable boat surf racing - Stand up Jet Ski surfing - rc Boating -experiences- all bundled into one......LOL

That is why I mentioned the other day that my rcSurfing it is a better presentation of RC POWER SURFING rather than rc 'Soul Surfing' ........I love the mix of all things possible.

Like watching the guys flying 3D helicopters or Quad Copters ........simply off the rails.....amazing stuff.......far from what is possible in true scale.....

Looks like you guys are in for some great surf........love to 'sea'........some soul surfing

Bro'
Old 06-08-2013, 04:32 AM
InDaTube

YPC

Keep those videos coming.........

Do you remember the animated cartoon surf movies that showed as part of Surf Movies back in the day?
At the time...... they looked like your wildest dream of surfing....
Our RC Surfers piloted by real surfers can do amazing things, crazy things.....
Just like watching those old animated surf movie cartoons...... but for real.
They were almost a "Nostrodamas like predictions of the future surfing world"

As for my RC Surfing...... If I do a triple rodeo flip, off the lip and land it....... trust me ...... it was a wipeout "Gone Good".

Indatube

Old 06-08-2013, 05:16 AM
YPC

Will do Indatube....glad you are enjoying them.......i'm hoping to hit the surf this afternoon 'if the weather clears?"

Absolutely !.....imagine telling a surfer back in the 60's what the likes of Kelly can do on a wave to-day......he would ask you where you got your last batch of LSD from....LOL

These little guys could very possibly inspire some 'big moves' in the future......considering we have very little close perspective perception and ultimately very limited control - yet these little guys are quite capable.....out their !.....always dazzling their audience.

......I have no doubt you could pull a great triple rodeo with those new 5s's you have packed into your board......"hang outside of the trough...wait for the hollowest section of pocket to form....drive it up hard into the closing lip / whilst squeezing all the power out of those batts.....then just let it fly......!!!

Bro'
Old 06-08-2013, 06:47 AM
InDaTube

Thaks YPC,

I will give it some practice........ I need to curb my natural adversion to ending up in front of the white water!!!!

I have a MacBook Pro....... what software do you use to edit your video?

InDaTube
Old 06-08-2013, 07:47 AM
YPC

Howzit Indatube

I have a standard laptop - Windows 7 - and I use 'Movie Maker' ( Free Windows download).....great basic editing program. Camera - Canon PowerShot S5IS

Its a simple program - quick to edit and upload.

Bro'

Old 06-09-2013, 07:04 AM
bearcave

ring ring

'hello.. this is bro'

'hey man i just bought one of your boards. It's goin fine but just saw your latest vid. Sick man i so want a big block hump deck upgrade now and....'

'hello this is bro.... i'm kinda busy now.... please leave your details and stand in line"

lol

sorry bro couldn't help myself...bc
Old 06-09-2013, 07:57 AM
YPC

LOL....LOL....... BC...good one !

I do have a solution for the previous builds - the 4s 4500 mA pack is thin enough to fit into the 30mm housing - so all is not lost...! the motor would have to be changed for a lower kv.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=21422

I surfed another session to-day ( video camera broken again) had to use the 27mm plastic props as the 30mm props keep losing a blade from the extra thrust.......

Bro'

Old 06-09-2013, 01:18 PM
RC Resinator

Went out this morning with my 48" surfer.  Waves were decent, check it out:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRQu-fjklkI[/youtube]
Old 06-09-2013, 08:30 PM
InDaTube

Great go out ..... lot's of bombs

48"er is ripping.

Where was that session at?

Indatube
Old 06-09-2013, 08:42 PM
InDaTube

YPC

I was using plastic and or Carbon Fiber props with great success..... then, after 12 or so charging cycles on my NanoTech 5S batteries my surfer
started exploding the above props. I think the batteries "come alive" after a few initial charging cycles. Also, my Leopard 3674 motor is 2200kv.

So, I now have gone to GrimRacer balanced/sharpened/polished brass props on a .150 flex shaft with 3/16th shaft size. Expensive but very smooth and powerful.

Larry / InDaTube
Old 06-09-2013, 09:32 PM
YPC

Howzit rc Resinator !........great 'size' waves.....great session.....!!!

Could you show us a few close up pics of you pod design ?

Bro'
Old 06-09-2013, 09:40 PM
YPC

Thanks for the info Indatube....5s X 2200 kv = serious power.....LOL.......apparently the Lipo's do get 'better' after a few cycles.

I should run a metal prop - BUT - surf amongst to many folk, most of the time.....as well as kelp. Besides the plastic prop blades breaking off - the blades also 'flex' all the time- which reduces the efficiency drastically - they also 'cavitate' sooner than a metal prop.......

Bro'

Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 AM
bearcave

hi UV cure resin enthusiasts
just sharing my excitement of being able to do some glassin without the natural uv rays from the sun
I while back saw a pic of a uv black light surfcurls was using to cure his boards... hewas sayinit was workin ok

So being a bit time poor in the daylight sun nat uv rays i did some hunting in the back caveand found a UV tanning light i picked up somewhere thrown out...

Knowing it might come in handy one day i'm glad ikept it cause pointed at the area needing uv curing it works ok.... atm trying out white boards to see if the reflective uv's can be usefultoo...

PS... unfortunately no space in the shed cave so with help the help of a Panda bear holding the light i'm doin it in the loungeroom

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nk27852.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	1891176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63069.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1891177  
Old 06-12-2013, 04:44 AM
bearcave

btw... nice pics and happenings guys

the deck stud talk a while back got me thinkin best i get some more glass on the deck

was so excited i just had to share couldn't help myself... again... lol

Old 06-12-2013, 10:16 AM
K-H2o

Cave- Nice looking work !! One thing I like to do is use catilized resin to laminate, thenuse UV cure to Hotcoat with. My cave has skylights and UV is hard to keep from kicking on me.I've heardcatilist cure is stronger but I am not making that claim.The cure time to be able to sand is drastically faster with UV. just using UVhotcoat is a little slowerthan doing both with UV. Be carful to not use UV in any super thick places ( Studs )it might notkick where the light can't get.
I have been making my boards with Aluzine Epoxy.(That way when I slam into John I come out ahead). No, I like it cause you can do a lotwith diffrent methods - vacume bagging, easer table laming on trash bags and all sorts of plastics, and styrofoamwork with it. It is also what you want if you use carbon fiber or S- glass.
Happy Hibernating. KH
Old 06-12-2013, 09:53 PM
YPC

Howzit BC.....your build is looking 'very nice'.....awesome lamp.. half of my workshop is clear sheeting so UV would be a serious challenge........but a great product. One can purchase a powder that you simply add to the laminating resin which makes it UV Resin.

I enjoy making these boards just as much as surfing them - so decided to start making a few video;s of 'enjoying the STOKE !...... in the workshop......to share with others.

Glassing the Board

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5as1zQ7K8k[/youtube]

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11539822
Old 06-13-2013, 02:45 AM
bearcave

K-H2o

Thanks for your tips Karl now and way previous, all of themnoted andkeptinside my bear head... btw havin nat light comin intomy shed cave via the window may be one of my probs, maybewhy the latest night owl resin trips with panda are workin out better.

YPC.... pictures tell a thousand words but some speaking about whats happenin would be better... I like the resin flow saturating the glass goin over the rails but will be a long time till i'm puttin mypaw printon anything i make.. lol

all good enthusiasts.... a quick hiberthen finallya weekend just for cave cleaning grass tree cutting and fiberglassin coming up i'm weeing all over my fur...

Sorry butas usual couldn't help myself but share... LOL
Old 06-13-2013, 07:02 AM
powerpark
My Feedback: (1)

Wow I can smell the resin from here. I have done my share of fiberglass, those latex gloves are a must. Very cool video. Very well done. There is a lot of work that board. Thanks for posting and well done video person!

Old 06-13-2013, 07:25 AM
YPC

Howzit BC......I would like to have 'spoken' during the video......but I cant handle the fume of the resin - it effects my throat ......

Howzit PowerPark......Glad you enjoyed the video....... The video does partly demonstrate the amount of care and work that goes into creating these 'little boards' -

Thanks for the Camera man Thumbs up !..I'll certainly pass it on.....it was my 12 year old daughter Jessica, who did the videoing for me.......have to agree......she did a great job - Great cinematography - Directing and Producing........ Takes after her mother....must have her moms brains ...'because I still have mine'.......LOL

Bro'
Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 PM
K-H2o

Hey All - YPC, Nice video !!I learned your secret to going to the beach everyday... Use the wifes credit card for a squeege, She can't spend all themoney and you savenot having to buy one. Brilliant !!!

You mentioned the resin hurting your throat. aftermany years in the board buiz I really don't want the downside to the toxic fumes/ health risks etc. associated with using resin. I use gloves anda respirator for most small jobs even cutting glass.but whenit is possibleI use my hood. Theyare available from auto paint supply stores or Grangerand the like. You need asquirrel cage air blower and somePVC and1-1/2" vacume cleaner hose. The PVC runs to the outside of your building ( clean air ), and the blowerpumps outside air through the pipe over your head and even down thru your suit if you haveone on, creating a nearly isolated environment.It is greatto not have burning eyes or funky feeling from exposure.Highly recommended!!! and after the inital investment itis super economical.

Aloha, KH

Name:	Lj23340.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	1891424   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33151.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	1891425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23114.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1891426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50439.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1891427  
Old 06-13-2013, 02:29 PM
YPC

Howzit Karl....don't tell her.......she is still 'looking' for her cards.....LOL

That is a great respiratory set up....will be on the look out for one.....thanks for the 'input'

Bro'

Old 06-13-2013, 11:07 PM
surfcurls
Banned

Great Safety Advice Karl,

Since I only Glass A Few Boards A Week
I use a dual respirator, has Ov & P 100.

Name:	Pn36903.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1891529  
Old 06-14-2013, 02:29 AM
bearcave

hey Karl and Bro

just sayin but the inspiration i get from you both with your take's on life and surfing inspires me.

the custom inovater in all areas and bro and family doin it all makes me wish i had a wife with a credit card i could use as a squeege.

atm just using my own card... and very much like the flex and rounded corners already formed into the card of easy spending too btw....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.