Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Good to know. I just bought another one.

I don't think Syssa is out of stock, we just can't get the website to accept orders.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:00 PM
bob418
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GuysWhat plug and gap are you running in your Syssa, I am using a NGK CM6 gapped at.025 is anyone running that RC Plug?? not sure of the name but the plug looks different from the CM6.the plug is RCEXL Spark Plug ICM6, anyone try them??
Old 06-11-2013, 07:53 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bob418

GuysWhat plug and gap are you running in your Syssa, I am using a NGK CM6 gapped at.025 is anyone running that RC Plug?? not sure of the name but the plug looks different from the CM6.the plug is RCEXL Spark Plug ICM6, anyone try them??
Am running thr ICM-6 in seveeral engines,they seem to be very good. Maybe a slight increase in RPM have not tacked and of them but run great.
BCCHI
Old 06-11-2013, 08:09 PM
dlenginesaustralia

ORIGINAL: dlenginesaustralia

ORIGINAL: Beej

Hi All,

Well, this is a complaint I am sorry to say. I want to love this engine, the way it runs and it's workmanship but I have struck some problems that should be easily rectified but I just cannot get any customer service. I have posted my latest (Friday) email to Todd below in the possibly vain hope that he reads this forum, that he cares about customer service, and that perhaps some of you have some kind of relationship with him and/or the company that can help me to understand what's going on. I have no doubt that the problem is that in a business sense they don't have quite enough volume to dedicate people to customer service/repairs as well as manufacture and innovate, and, at the same time, not enough volume and sales margin to move to a distributed business model where agents will deal with the sales and the repairs/warrant issues etc and as manufacturers they become wholesalers. It's a common problem in small businesses but it doesnt help my $1000 investment........ Any insight/news etc appreciated. I'm trying to stay polite and constructive but, at the end of the day, I'm a very good and loyal customer who is being ignored. Beej

Dear Todd,

It has been 6 weeks since i sent this and other emails but without a reply. Similarly, your distributor in Australia has sent recent emails without a reply. As you would know if you have read the other emails, currently, I have two SAP 180s performing below their best and in need of attention. My understanding from Scott (Australian Agent) is that you have offered to replace one of these with a V2 engine but I have received no estimate of when that engine may arrive. That still leaves the other engine requiring repair, and currently I'm not getting any flying done, and the end of November is rushing at us. How would you like to proceed? Do you want the engines sent back to you directly, or through Scott? Will they be replaced/repaired by Christmas? Your attention to this would be very much appreciated - with the purchase of the two engines and props, pipe mounts etc I have spent well over $1000 with you so I'm a pretty good customer so would appreciate some communication regarding the way forward.

best
Hi ''Beej''

I still have had not a response from Todd since the email where he said he will be replacing the engine with the v2 but did not answer any of the other qns. I have asked if he wants them sent back now or should I wait and also asked for approx time frames to give you. As you know this has been going since early September. And again nil responses to any emails asking what to do next.

It is not a spam filter thing or anything that some people here have suggested because we are in Australia (figure that one out?) as when he is live and on air I get the emails without a problem. It can only be a Spam filter problem if the emails are sent in the first place.

Send the Syssa engines to me and I will ship them back to Todd with the other one I have waiting here, and we can just hope and wait for Todd to get them sorted. I would just prefer to get a confirmation email along the lines of ''Yes send them to us please'' so we can have some confidence we are not just sending them into the Abyss.

He has always... eventually sorted things out, but the 6 month turn around is frustrating.

Ive been asking for confirmation of stock of other items from them before I place an order (chicken sticks etc), and get no response to these emails either.

It is a shame his service has gone down the tube, as when when started out selling these in Australia the support we got from the Syssa Factory/Todd was great. I hope that they can get themselves sorted and be back to the service that they provided in 2011. We have sold a reasonable amount of these engines over here, and for the most part people have been very happy with them.

Scott
DL Engines Australia
www.dlenginesaustralia.com

Hi

If anyone out there in SYSSA land is in Contact with Todd, can you please ask him to contact me with an update.

Sent engines back, tracking shows they have been delivered but still cant get an answer from SYSSA.

Customer got an email over a month ago, but not us. I have not heard from him for 3 or 4 months.

Got concerned customers that I cant give an answers too, and would just like an update (good bad or otherwise) from SYSSA themselves.

Thanks

Scott
DL Australia
Just thought Id follow up and say we received the engines back with the warranty repairs done.

An interesting point, they came back with two head gaskets installed.

No communication though at all, in the end I just posted them off and hoped for the best and a few months later they arrived in the post.

We sent another two off about 5 weeks ago, but same again, cannot get a response to any email or message left on the phone. So will just wait and assume as with the other 4 sent back that they will just appear one day! Bit hard to keep a customer up to date though with no communication from the mfg.

Thanks

Scott.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:11 PM
dlenginesaustralia

ORIGINAL: NJRCFLYER2

If anyone is experiencing out of stock delays from Syssa for the Tech-Aero Designs Ultra IBEC, rest assured that they are always in stock and available from the Tech-Aero Designs website.
I can concur, we have not had any problems getting stock of the IBEC's either. We order, pay the invoice and Ed ships them promptly.

Great service and communication from ED at Tech Aero!

Cheers

Scott.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:12 AM
bob418

ORIGINAL: bcchi

Am running thr ICM-6 in seveeral engines,they seem to be very good. Maybe a slight increase in RPM have not tacked and of them but run great.
BCCHI
Where are you buying the ICM-6 plugs??
Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 AM
Joystick TX

Just thought Id follow up and say we received the engines back with the warranty repairs done.

No communication though at all, in the end I just posted them off and hoped for the best and a few months later they arrived in the post.

We sent another two off about 5 weeks ago, but same again, cannot get a response to any email or message left on the phone. So will just wait and assume as with the other 4 sent back that they will just appear one day! Bit hard to keep a customer up to date though with no communication from the mfg.

Thanks

Scott.
Scott,

I just checked my Syssa engines. Both of them have been repaired recently and they also have two head gaskets. I never noticed how many they had originally.

The only odd thingI found was that the timing was set at 25 degrees BTDC on both engines. I had to notch out the center part of the Hall sensor to getenough clearance for the bolt head to allow meto get the timing set to 30 degrees. The only thing I can think of that would cause that issueis the magnet is in a different location on the new hubs. The crankcase was the original on both of the repaired engines and the Hall sensor holes and the Hall sensorshad not been changed.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:41 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ICM-6 is NGK's Iridium version of the CM-6. Their claim to fame is their ability to run smoother in a richer mixture. With our gassers this makes the low speed needle much more forgiving (easier!) to adjust, and makes for noticably smoother low and mid range running. I would not be expecting anything extra at all beyond about mid - 3/4 range though. I'd be really surprised if someone were to document they were able to pull more RPM running this plug. It's just not what they are known for?

Milton at http://www.rcextremepower.net/ignitions.html (an Rcexl distributor) sells them - and they aren't cheap! If you're constantly struggling/fiddleing with your low speed adjustment though, they might be something to try?

I generally run CM-6 set at .025
Old 06-12-2013, 09:54 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: kerwin50

I guess thats one way to look at it. Do you really think the V2 is going to be that much better?
The V2 version I saw a couple years ago had twice the cooling area (twice the number of fins). Since lack of heat dissipation is the killer of performance in these small gassies, I'd hazard a guess and say, "Yep, V2 will be better engine"

Can't vouch for timing to market tho nor can I vouch for service oriented issues. The only thing I know with certainty is that when I ran Syssa's,(2009 -2011), they were terrific little powerplants, and when I needed service I got it within a couple weeks.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:30 PM
bob418

thanks, I am having a little issues on my low end, so I will give them a try, do you still gap them at .026??
Old 06-12-2013, 05:49 PM
ahicks

I've never gapped one, run them as they come out of the box. -Al
Old 06-12-2013, 05:54 PM
bob418

I will give them a try as is thanks
Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 PM
bcchi

BCCHI
Where are you buying the ICM-6 plugs??
Got them from the new CH Ignition guy.
BCCHI
Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 AM
MTK

BCCHI
Hi Bill,

I went to the website but couldn't find theiridium spark plug. Is there a more direct link?
Old 06-13-2013, 05:11 PM
bob418

ORIGINAL: MTK

BCCHI
Hi Bill,

I went to the website but couldn't find the iridium spark plug. Is there a more direct link?
I just picked up a few from http://www.rcextremepower.net/ignitions.html
Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 PM
MTK

Thank you
Old 06-14-2013, 02:22 AM
AJsToyz

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

Thanks

Scott.
Scott,

I just checked my Syssa engines. Both of them have been repaired recently and they also have two head gaskets. I never noticed how many they had originally.

The only odd thing I found was that the timing was set at 25 degrees BTDC on both engines. I had to notch out the center part of the Hall sensor to get enough clearance for the bolt head to allow me to get the timing set to 30 degrees. The only thing I can think of that would cause that issue is the magnet is in a different location on the new hubs. The crankcase was the original on both of the repaired engines and the Hall sensor holes and the Hall sensors had not been changed.
I believe its a V2 piston, and needs two gaskets to work in the older cylinder. I put a piston in one, and with out the two gaskets the piston will hit the head.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:46 AM
bob418

ORIGINAL: MTK

BCCHI
Hi Bill,

I went to the website but couldn't find the iridium spark plug. Is there a more direct link?
Just test the new plug, and it did improve the idle! God I love the Syssa!!
Old 06-16-2013, 06:11 AM
Joystick TX

Is anyone missing a modified carb? Here is the one that was on my engine when I received it back from repair. I never modified any of my carbs so this came from another engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69810.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1892224  
Old 06-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Jim Henley

Question, I am replacing my ignition module for the third time. Is anyone else having trouble keeping the module from failing? I am flying a Great Planes Super Stearman with the module mounted to the firewall above the carburetor could this be a heat issue? the engine does not run hot.
Thanks!
Old 06-17-2013, 05:18 PM
ahicks

Jim, step one regarding failed modules is usually about input voltage (too high or too low), but nose overs that get the plug boot dirty take them our pretty regularly as well?

Are you loosing the module after a rough landing?
Old 06-17-2013, 05:35 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, Guys.

Pretty close to a year ago, I ordered an engine from Syssa aircraft. Todd said the V2 was coming out "next week sometime," and so, I ordered it and they charged my Credit Card. The months rolled by, and each time I spoke with Todd, he said the same thing; "next week sometime." About two months ago, he stopped answering his phone, and he stopped answering my mails. Their voice-mail box is full all the time now.

Since so many months had passed, I reluctantly wrote Todd and asked for a refund. I've gotten no answer, so I've written him two more times. Finally, in my last mail to him, I demanded a refund. Not surprisingly, there has been no response, and certainly nobody has credited my credit card. I checked. I continue to dial him, but he still doesn't answer the phone.

Probably five or six months ago, an engine came, but at the first glance I saw it was not the engine I ordered.

Steve, it was yours, of course, and I got the UPS pick-up address label from Syssa, and then I sent it on to you.

I've started my RC Guys Super Decathlon build video series, but without the engine, I'm at a standstill. And without the money, I'll have to pay out of pocket for another brand of gasser.

I don't know if any of you have been having similar experiences, but I figured that if this is a growing problem that people may want to know about it. Sad to say, but with the track records I've seen for U.S. production facilities in the RC field, I'm going to start buying my RC gear from the folks across the great waters, or above the great lakes.

I've seen this sort of thing before, and usually, it ain't a good sign. Anybody else having problems?

Here's a photo of my summer house in Maine, undergoing radical remodeling.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22198.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	1892742  
Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Jim Henley

Al,
It's hard to remember, I did have some rough landings last year, have not had much flying time on the Stearman this season. I am running a 4.8 V 2700 mAH battery with one of Syssa's IBEC's. If a dirty boot is the issue, what should I be looking for? If I have a nose over should I pull the boot and wipe / blow it out? We are flying off of a grass field.
Thanks
Old 06-18-2013, 03:31 AM
ahicks

Jim, I was reffering to the "dirty" plug boot like I would a "less than gracefull" landing? I was talking about a landing that collected a lot of dirt and grass on the spark plug boot. The point is the boots are more easily damaged internaly than one might think. If the silicone is torn internally, the spark has easy access to that grounded shell. Symptoms are just an occasional try to start when flipping, backfiring, and an occasional poof resulting in white smoke coming from the exhaust. Very often you can hear the spark - which is pretty much a dead give away of a bad boot. You won't hear that spark if it's happening inside the cylinder like it should be?

Messing around, flying high alpha approaches, doing tail wheel first landings and stuff is something I enjoy doing, so I've replaced my fair share of plug boots after particularly screwed up landings! They aren't expensive, usually less than 10.00. Might be worth a try resurecting one of your modules? If you're carefull pulling the original, you can see how to put the new one on without too much difficulty. -Al
Old 06-18-2013, 06:26 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, you're saying that once there's a tear in the silicone, the spark plug tip can easily ground out like we used to shut down lawn mowers with a screwdriver, grounding the plug to the head. That makes perfect sense.

I'll keep that in mind, even though I NEVER make "less than graceful" landings.

Very much. ;^)

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.