Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Joe Nall Incident

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 12:45 PM
Maximilionalpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Joe Nall Incident

ORIGINAL: HoundDog

ORIGINAL: capt1597

ORIGINAL: TonyBuilder

Really it is up to the individual I would think. If the other pilot is a stand up guy, he knows what happened, If it was out of the blue then it is a no fault accident. I wont fly my birds if there are pilots of question flying. I am my number one spotter and I take all the action I can to protect my plane, and that includes not flying when there is a hi risk. Big events can be hi risk. I have seen where a pilot crashed into another plane and the pilot that caused the crash reimbursed the other pilot, he maned up and knew he was at fault (took off and went strait up threw the bottom of a plane flying the pattern) so he realized his mistake. Only the two pilots here know what happened and if one did something wrong they know it and if not then chock it up to hi risk flying. Isn’t it that simple?

TB

PERFECT !!!!!
''DITTO''

It would talk a real man to admit he was NEGLECT and Pull 3 grand out of his pocket especially after loosing his mufti thousand War Bird. Talk it Cheep and Money talks. Just saying. Now what if the Neglent ''FUTABA'' pilot didn't own the F4U? Just ask'en.

***????
Old 06-13-2013, 08:59 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: Maximilionalpha

I was there at Nall's for that week and I saw what happened. Mike was drunk, flying his plane and that's what caused him to have to pick it up in pieces.

Wow. That sheds some light on things.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:35 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: capt1597

ORIGINAL: TonyBuilder

Really it is up to the individual I would think. If the other pilot is a stand up guy, he knows what happened, If it was out of the blue then it is a no fault accident. I wont fly my birds if there are pilots of question flying. I am my number one spotter and I take all the action I can to protect my plane, and that includes not flying when there is a hi risk. Big events can be hi risk. I have seen where a pilot crashed into another plane and the pilot that caused the crash reimbursed the other pilot, he maned up and knew he was at fault (took off and went strait up threw the bottom of a plane flying the pattern) so he realized his mistake. Only the two pilots here know what happened and if one did something wrong they know it and if not then chock it up to hi risk flying. Isn’t it that simple?

TB

PERFECT !!!!!
''DITTO''

It would talk a real man to admit he was NEGLECT and Pull 3 grand out of his pocket especially after loosing his mufti thousand War Bird. Talk it Cheep and Money talks. Just saying. Now what if the Neglent ''FUTABA'' pilot didn't own the F4U? Just ask'en.

***????
Just saying that, talk is cheep, People can say what they would do in a similar situation but if and when it happens that is usually another story.
Just my observations in 70 years of life
Old 06-14-2013, 04:50 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

gjmjoe017 Orignal post that started this whole thread:
A friend of mine took his beautiful Top Flite P-47 there this year.He spent two years on the build and added a lot of scale detail.$3,000 in the project.He was flying the pattern an he and his spotter noticed another plane flying along with him.Mike decided to just hold his position and continue in the pattern.About the time of that thought,the other pilot does an alieron roll right into Mikes P-47 sending it to the ground and destroyed.Mike was so upset he walked away to collect his thoughts.Someone came up and told him that the other pilot said Mike flew into him.It turns out this other pilot is a Futaba Team Pilot.Mike confronted him and he admitted that he flew into Mike.Mike let them know he expected to be reimbersed for the loss.He was told they would get back,to date nothing and no respones from his calls to them.Just doesn't seem right.And by the way,Mike has been a loyal Futaba user for years.Will be interesting to see if Futaba does the right thing.

ORIGINAL: TexasAirBoss

I was there at Nall's for that week and I saw what happened. Mike was drunk, flying his plane and that's what caused him to have to pick it up in pieces.

"TexasAirBoss" the Quote had to come from the forum some place but I looked for the original post from "Maximilionalpha" and was unable to find it on page 7. If it's true it is one heck of an accusation. It leaves the doors open to all kinds of law suits. Drinking and flying especially at an Event like the Joe Nall cold be considered grounds for revocation of a persons AMA membership, No matter who they were, I would think. JMHO
Old 06-14-2013, 05:27 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

gjmjoe017 Orignal post that started this whole thread:
A friend of mine took his beautiful Top Flite P-47 there this year.He spent two years on the build and added a lot of scale detail.$3,000 in the project.He was flying the pattern an he and his spotter noticed another plane flying along with him.Mike decided to just hold his position and continue in the pattern.About the time of that thought,the other pilot does an alieron roll right into Mikes P-47 sending it to the ground and destroyed.Mike was so upset he walked away to collect his thoughts.Someone came up and told him that the other pilot said Mike flew into him.It turns out this other pilot is a Futaba Team Pilot.Mike confronted him and he admitted that he flew into Mike.Mike let them know he expected to be reimbersed for the loss.He was told they would get back,to date nothing and no respones from his calls to them.Just doesn't seem right.And by the way,Mike has been a loyal Futaba user for years.Will be interesting to see if Futaba does the right thing.

ORIGINAL: TexasAirBoss

''TexasAirBoss'' the Quote had to come from the forum some place but I looked for the original post from ''Maximilionalpha'' and was unable to find it on page 7. If it's true it is one heck of an accusation. It leaves the doors open to all kinds of law suits. Drinking and flying especially at an Event like the Joe Nall cold be considered grounds for revocation of a persons AMA membership, No matter who they were, I would think. JMHO
It's on another page, I saw it. But who knows if that's true or not, probably not.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:39 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the original post and thought it was meant as sarcasm. It was post # 145 that was edited
Old 06-14-2013, 07:22 AM
daleflysrc
My Feedback: (26)

SO SO SAD !!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:51 AM
Maximilionalpha

ORIGINAL: Rotten40851

I saw the original post and thought it was meant as sarcasm. It was post # 145 that was edited
It was meant as sarcastic, but it seems that everyone's gullible and will believe anything, without researching the actual facts.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:09 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just when this thing got interesting someone comes along and tells the truth.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:21 AM
Maximilionalpha

Sorry guys, but these forums remind me of the times when old women would sit out by the fences and gossip about everything/everybody and blow the facts all out of proportion, just for the sake of gossiping, so, I just had to add that little tid bit, to get things more juicy.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:26 AM
vicman

That is exactly what this one turned into. Notice the op wasn't the guy who lost a plane.
The thread looked like a troll to me from jump street.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Rotten40851

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He want's to take your A.M.A. away!! To even think someone would be at an event likeNall and flying drunk is absurd!!! What's next Reefer at Florida Jets? JUSTKIDDING!!!!!!!!!!

It was meant as sarcastic, but it seems that everyone's gullible and will believe anything, without researching the actual facts.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:05 AM
vicman

What's next Reefer at Florida Jets? JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!
IIRC from some of the FEJ bashing threads it wasn't reefer, it was sabotage.[>:]
Old 06-14-2013, 10:58 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

Lol what facts? All we have is the story from the guy that lost $3,000, and another from one witness, and a bunch of guys arguing for no reason lol.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:20 AM
vicman

Read closer Tmax,
It was posted by someone who knew the guy who's $3K plane got splashed.
All hearsay from post 1.[:-]
Old 06-14-2013, 11:22 AM
smaze17
My Feedback: (60)

IMHO, this is 100% on Mike's spotter. Maybe both spotters. What's the point of having a spotter if he's just gonna stand there watching the planes fly around. Spotters are there for this very reason, to help avoid mid-airs and to keep their pilots informed as to what the other guys are doing.

Unless of course Mike just happened to simply ignore his spotter which is highly unlikely.

S
Old 06-15-2013, 05:59 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think this whole thing is gods fault for not providing us all a perfect world with a white picket around it to live in, so the almighty himself should pay the $3000.00 back!!!

Get real and just let it go...

Bob
Old 06-15-2013, 08:54 AM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

After 8 pages of this the first reply by Scale Only For Me still covers it all.
There is risk everytime that you fly and it compounds with the size of the event.
The value of the plane or the effort put into it are not relevent.
As the old saying goes if you can't run with the big dogs stay on the porch.
Twenty years of heavy iron scale flying at events around the country have taught me that this is neither a completely safe or trouble free sport/hobby.
Take a look at my gallery page if you think that I am just blowing smoke.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:02 PM
mithrandir

I am intoxicated every time I fly!!!

I am intoxicated with the pure joy and satisfaction of just flying an RC Plane... and even better if I am with friends!!
Old 07-04-2013, 05:44 AM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

Why do most larger flying events like Joe Nall seem to turn into crashfests? I will name a few reasons, 1) I have heard many a builder tell me that he is "saving his new plane for the big show" and that is why he isn't flying it at his local field! What that does is insure the plane makes it to the fly in but alot of times it ends up going home in a box or bag! Why??? Because the pilot has very little stick time on the new plane and isn't totally used to it and more than likely hasn't worked out any or all possible bugs. Instead of flying his new plane at his local field where it is much more peaceful and quiet(no distractions) and more than likely the only plane in the air, he chooses to bring it to a major event where the strip is full of pilots, with many attempting to fly beyond their skill level! This is why I bring my beaters to fly ins, because it isn't worth losing a top shelf plane because some idiot is attempting show off and has "no clue" what it means to be respectful of fellow flyers and fly the PATTERN designated by the safety officer!
Old 07-04-2013, 06:19 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

You'd have to pay me to go to an event that big,, for many of the reasons Kurt mentions. It's just a show off fest where bad stuff always happens, I'd much rather go to smaller less stressful events and relax not having to worry if someone is breaking into my truck/camper.

You guys can have it
Old 07-04-2013, 06:32 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Actually, for the amount of flights that take place, and the varying skill levels, I only saw a hand full of crashes. Maybe even a lower ratio of crashes per flight than I see at a local field on a weekend.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:46 AM
vicman

Having gone to Nall more than a few times, the most spectacular crashes I have seen have been at the hand of some pretty big name brand pilots.

S4M, I don't fly there but it is a pretty cool event to go look at for a day.[8D]
Old 07-04-2013, 06:59 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

You'd have to pay me to go to an event that big
Precisely why I love my job