Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Gas prices

Old 06-14-2013, 06:38 AM
do335a

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Gas prices

ORIGINAL: TimBle

+1

even so, the speculators will only take about $10 off the barrel maximum. The rest is a simple supply and demand scenario

I'll believe that as soon as I see someone come into the station where I'm filling up and say, "Don't sell that gasoline to him at that price. I need some too and I'll pay you even more for it!"

The reality: supply and demand my *****! Here's what it is, take it or leave it.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:27 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: do335a

ORIGINAL: TimBle

+1

even so, the speculators will only take about $10 off the barrel maximum. The rest is a simple supply and demand scenario

I'll believe that as soon as I see someone come into the station where I'm filling up and say, "Don't sell that gasoline to him at that price. I need some too and I'll pay you even more for it!"

The reality: supply and demand my *****! Here's what it is, take it or leave it.
Take it or leave it...is the way it is!
Old 06-14-2013, 08:45 AM
sarpet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gas is very cheap in usa if you compared it to euro, guart is in finland about 1.65 €.
Ihave 2.5l BMW 9-10l/100km.
Thats why ihave visa and igo tank my car to russia, gas is .80€/l

y
Old 06-14-2013, 09:27 AM
hsukaria

The most complaining I ever hear about gas is from us Americans, yet we have it so good compared to other countries. I think other countries that have gas cheaper, their gas is subsidized by their governments. Government subsidizing creates a whole set of issues. So, despite the recent increase in gas prices, I am still ok with it.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:15 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, considering that the state of Illinois is probably the most corrupt state in the Union, their gas prices is probably parr for the course.
It seems like every week or so another politician from that state gets caught with their hands in the cookie jar. We got stuck with one of their politicians down here too for a while as he was trying to hide from the state.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:37 AM
jcvt
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gas in my country cost $5.65 /G. but minimum wages is approximately $175 per month!!!!
And now you want to laugh, ok, somehow we decided that importing huge American cars instead of more eficient europeans is good for our econmy !!!!!!!!!
TALKING about corruption......[&o]
Old 06-14-2013, 03:24 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't it amazing that it was just noted that the good ole USA has increased its oil production up ONE million barrels a DAY !
And yet no lowering of prices. Simply amazing how US citizens just keep sitting around and taking all of the corruption in business and government.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:13 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Granpooba

Isn't it amazing that it was just noted that the good ole USA has increased its oil production up ONE million barrels a DAY !
And yet no lowering of prices. Simply amazing how US citizens just keep sitting around and taking all of the corruption in business and government.
I know, I agree completely. They are like sheep being led to a slaughter. They just don't seem to understand that when the price of gas goes up, EVERYTHING follows. From postage stamps to food, rubber, plastic; basically anything and everything a person buys depends on fuel for either it's production, it's distribution, etc. The quality of life in the states has been on a steady downward slide since the early 70's due mostly to oil prices, and the slope is getting steeper all the time.

AV8TOR
Old 06-14-2013, 04:14 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

The most complaining I ever hear about gas is from us Americans, yet we have it so good compared to other countries. I think other countries that have gas cheaper, their gas is subsidized by their governments. Government subsidizing creates a whole set of issues. So, despite the recent increase in gas prices, I am still ok with it.
You remind me of the guy in the BP adds on TV. He keeps saying the Gulf of Mexico has never been in better hands.........I say that is pure BULL S.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:10 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

its because of speculators on wall street . many major companies are invested in oil stocks , so the prices will never go down.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:24 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Considering all of the risk involved in finding oil in the most difficult parts of the world, drilling wells through thousands of feet of earth and rock, transporting the crude to a refinery on the other side of the continent, refining the oil, shipping the product to the retail stations and finally pumping out and into your tank, all the while contending with an incredible amount of government and environmental regulations, it's surprising the oil is as cheap as it is.

I consider it a bargain at even $5.00 per gallon. You can transport yourself and your family 20 miles or more down the road in air conditioned comfort protected from the elements and listening to whatever you please as if you were at home in your Lazy Boy, all on 1 gallon of gas which today in Texas runs about $3.50.

Would you walk 20 miles for that same $3.50? Would you ride a bike 20 miles for 3.50? Is there any other form of personal transportation that you think is more efficient or cheaper?

12 years ago I had a Suburban and it cost me $35.00 to fll the tank, now I have a Ford Focus and it cost me $35.00 to fill the tank. I see no problem, I just changed my lifestyle a little and the problem goes away.

Do you really NEED that Suburban, SUV or pick-up? Do you really NEED the boat, travel trailer or 4 wheeler? Do you really NEED that trailer for your 30% airplane? Some of us are spoiled, and prefer to blame others for choices we have made.

Change your lifestyle a bit and move on.

If you think the big bad oil companies are ripping you off then buy some of their stock. Maybe you will make some big money.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:26 AM
kerwin50

1st of all in other countries the rich have an are exploiting the poor. They tried here but thanks to roosevelts we enacted laws against it.
There is no reason for these high gas prices except the oil monopolies OPEC.
It's a little know fact that in the early 70's during the oil embargo that we once we started the alternated energy programs that saudi arabia promised us cheap oil if we cut those programs.
Now we have alot of catching up to do.
Personally I don't like the little coffins. I have a 1994 buick roadmaster that get's 25 mpg. before that I had a 1993 linclon town car that got 25 mpg as well.
Only the rich an well to do don't complain about the price of gasoline in america.
And they are also responsible for moving our factories overseas where they can exploit those people.
Don't believe me just watch shark tank and you'll see those guys always asking can you make this product cheaper by making it in china.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:14 AM
jcvt
My Feedback: (2)

I using a Ford Ranger xlt 2002 that give you 600 km of autonomy , it is equipped with a 20 Gal. tank of Liquefied petroleum gas. This truck has 275,000 miles with the original motor and going strong.
I am considering using natural gas for safety reazon.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:57 PM
captinjohn

ORIGINAL: 049flyer

Considering all of the risk involved in finding oil in the most difficult parts of the world, drilling wells through thousands of feet of earth and rock, transporting the crude to a refinery on the other side of the continent, refining the oil, shipping the product to the retail stations and finally pumping out and into your tank, all the while contending with an incredible amount of government and environmental regulations, it's surprising the oil is as cheap as it is.

I consider it a bargain at even $5.00 per gallon. You can transport yourself and your family 20 miles or more down the road in air conditioned comfort protected from the elements and listening to whatever you please as if you were at home in your Lazy Boy, all on 1 gallon of gas which today in Texas runs about $3.50.

Would you walk 20 miles for that same $3.50? Would you ride a bike 20 miles for 3.50? Is there any other form of personal transportation that you think is more efficient or cheaper?

12 years ago I had a Suburban and it cost me $35.00 to fll the tank, now I have a Ford Focus and it cost me $35.00 to fill the tank. I see no problem, I just changed my lifestyle a little and the problem goes away.

Do you really NEED that Suburban, SUV or pick-up? Do you really NEED the boat, travel trailer or 4 wheeler? Do you really NEED that trailer for your 30% airplane? Some of us are spoiled, and prefer to blame others for choices we have made.

If you think the big bad oil companies are ripping you off then buy some of their stock. Maybe you will make some big money.

It sounds like you want us to sell everything except those .049 powered airplanes & fly them in our back yard. It is simple...GAS IS NOT A BARGIN.....
Old 06-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Rudolph Hart

Just a thought.Don't know what you pay for bottled water over there but here it costs twice what we pay for petrol(gas)and they sell truckloads of it.Amazingly the same stuff comes out of my kitchen tap virtually free..do you think i could turn that into a profitable business or what??
Old 06-15-2013, 07:15 PM
av8tor1977

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

ORIGINAL: 049flyer

It sounds like you want us to sell everything except those .049 powered airplanes & fly them in our back yard. It is simple...GAS IS NOT A BARGIN.....
It is not a matter of what a person "needs" or "wants", it is a matter of being held hostage to the pricing dictated by the oil companies, and not having a choice. Choice after all, is what freedom is all about, though true freedom is very hard to come by in this world of ours now.

Besides, you totally neglect the fact that while a person can perhaps "bite the bullet" and drive cheaper cars and give up their RV's and other gasoline using toys, they CANNOT avoid the high prices of virtually everything else they need, that are caused by high fuel prices.

Sorry to say buy your view is very limited, typical of many Americans, and basically the crux of the problem. If people understood all the dynamics, they would be more upset, and perhaps, perhaps, even try to do something about it. Here's another point... besides the gasoline taxes, how much do you think your basic income tax rate is based on fuel prices?? Well, calculate how much money it takes to keep a fleet of airplanes flying over a fuel sucking aircraft carrier with 5000 people on it in the Mediterranean Sea, and think backwards from there....

AV8TOR
Old 06-15-2013, 07:35 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I found when reading about gasoline prices, that Illinois is sort of a "gasoline-market Island", California is also one as well as the Milwaukee area. Basically the state governments set regulations about what type of gasoline is sold in their area or state, and since there are few refineries that can make the stuff, as well as a limited pipeline system for delivery, that anything that affects the production or delivery will cause the prices to surge. So they get a specialized gasoline formulation and it has to be transported to them and distributed. So besides all the other factors affecting gasoline prices they also have more expensive special gasolines made for their areas too.
ref http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-e...gas-price2.htm

Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

In 1974 I was in high school. As I remember, gas was about $1.00 per gallon and minimum wage was $1.65 or so. Now gas is $3.50 and minimum wage is $8.00 or so. By this measure it doesn't appear that the cost of gas is out of line. It might be interesting to make similar comparisons to gain perspective. It's easy to blame the big bad oil companies or the evil speculators but the issue is likely more complex.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:00 PM
funfly8
My Feedback: (20)

Check around in your area and see who the major supplier/refiner is. In Michigan it is Marathon who also owns the Speedway brand. They pretty much dictate the price in Mi., In, IL(Chicago). Lots of the mom and pop stores get their fuel from there as well. When the price takes a jump buy from anyone other than Marathon/Speedway in MI., In., Il. In other areas find the Refinery that supplies the discount brands and avoid them when there is a spike in Prices This will cut into their retail profits and cause the prices to drop some. I do not buy from them when the prices jump. I have a Mobil station close by and a BP along with Clark and Admiral.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:57 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

I live in North Central Ohio and Speedway is always the first to go up around here too.
Old 06-16-2013, 06:43 PM
av8tor1977

Another sad thing about it is that the gas stations themselves, which do all the "dirty work" of actually selling the product to the public, only make a few cents a gallon. That's why all the real "service" stations that actually sold gas AND did automotive repairs went out of business. The "mini-markets" can survive because they make their money on the convenience store items, and since they need a clerk anyway, they sell gas too even though the profit margin is so low as to be almost non existent.

AV8TOR
Old 06-16-2013, 07:24 PM
captinjohn

I have been thinking about building a lite weight trailer(for my Motorcycle) to carry my gas powered airplane to the RC field. The cycle gets 50-60 MPG. Has anyone done this? If so would you please post a few photos of it. Thanks, Capt,n
Old 06-16-2013, 08:15 PM
av8tor1977

Take a look at these Captain: http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...sult?q=trailer

I've been thinking of doing something similar for towing behind either my dune buggy or my Baja Bug.

AV8TOR
Old 06-18-2013, 04:28 AM
Rudolph Hart

Or if you live close to the flying field you can use an electric golf cart,you'll need a gas powered 5kva genset to charge it in case you have an out landing tho.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:45 PM
captinjohn

av8tor, Thanks for the good advice. Capt,n

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.