Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

DX7 & AR7000 setup constantly loosing bind but not a Spektrum issue???

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX7 & AR7000 setup constantly loosing bind but not a Spektrum issue???

Old 06-13-2013, 09:04 PM
rino
My Feedback: (121)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 & AR7000 setup constantly loosing bind but not a Spektrum issue???

Hi,

Just looking for feedback. I have an issue that just cropped up with my 30%er loosing bind every other flight or so. I am running a DX7 DSM2 with an AR7000. The plane has all Hitec digital servos and dual LiFe rx batts running through a 42% brand fail safe dual switch batt share system. I am also running a WIKE IBEC to power the ignition. The WIKE and most of the servos have been used on another aircraft with no issues. Also, I have switched out both the AR7000 and DX7 on this plane - have spares - to eliminate that from the problem statement. So, it's probably NOT the RX or TX in this case.

This is a first for me in years of flying this type of setup. It's weird. It binds fine and is good for a few flights. Then I turn the TX on and then the plane and no lights appear on the RX...unbound...

I talked to Horizon and they didn't really have anything to add. My initial thought is something is shorting out the bind plug to the RX where the power/42% switch is plugged in (batt/bind). Tough one to figure out...

Any experience or help would be appreciated.

Thanks...
Old 06-14-2013, 04:17 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 341 Likes on 273 Posts
Default RE: DX7 & AR7000 setup constantly loosing bind but not a Spektrum issue???

It wouldn't surprise me if that battery share were throwing a ground on the signal pin on the battery port.

Personally I don't use anything like that, I prefer either a power safe receiver for my bigger stuff or just a single battery for my 50cc stuff.

Does the battery share have a 3'rd wire on the power input?
I suppose with a 7 channel receiver you're pretty limited about using other slots for power input....

One thing with a DX7, if its leaning on the bind switch it can cause problems, as can holding the transmitter too close to the receiver during linking.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:37 AM
rino

Default RE: DX7 & AR7000 setup constantly loosing bind but not a Spektrum issue???

Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I'm leaning that way. This is a first in many years of running Spektrum. Next, I will remove the 42% redundant battery system and see if things improve. The power is plugged into the bind/batt port so what you are saying makes sense. Also I think the 42% system fail safe board is always pulling a little juice so it's really always on...need to double check that.

These kinds of things get really hard to troubleshoot aside from just replacing all components which is expensive.

Have you ever heard of a servo causing a bind loss problem?

On my previous 50cc which was my favorite plane ever (3DHS 87" Extra) I had a 2S 5000 lipo short out in flight - the lipo was relatively new too - and I lost the bird. Sucks. So now I'm a die hard dual RX pack fan. I knew it was the pack and not a lockout because 1/2 way through a rolling circle the flippers just went limp as I watched it lawn dart.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback and your right on. It should logically be whatever is plugged into the bind/batt port which is the 42% batt share.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:47 AM
AndyKunz

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: rino

Just looking for feedback. I have an issue that just cropped up with my 30%er loosing bind every other flight or so. I am running a DX7 DSM2 with an AR7000.
I found that I was accidentally pushing the BIND button on the back when powering up, erasing the bind info in the tx. Once I stopped doing that, all was well.

Andy
Old 06-14-2013, 05:05 AM
rino

Thanks Andy. We've double checked that that's not happening but it's often something simple isn't it.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:46 AM
GR7Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If there are no lights blinking on the RX, then the receiver isn't being tripped into the "bind" mode. I suspect that it's just taking a while longer for the tx and rx to "connect" and you are diagnosing it as losing the bind. Please try the following to see if your results improve.

With DSM2, the tx samples the 2.4 bandwidth and finds two clear channels. It can have difficulty doing this well if you power it on while it is laying on the ground. Stand up, and hold the tx like you are flying and power it on. Wait for it to start transmitting before you lay it down and power up the rx.

If the tx and rx don't connect after a power up sequence, try another power up sequence using the "stand up" technique above.

Avoid touching the bind button on the TX when powering up as this can un-bind the tx and rx.

Make sure that you are on the correct model in the TX

KennyMac
Old 06-14-2013, 04:39 PM
rino

Thank you for the feedback. I will try that as well.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:53 AM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Seen at local flying field -

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47745.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	1892954   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29250.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	1892955   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wc77144.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1892956  
Old 06-18-2013, 11:34 AM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rino Hi, Just looking for feedback. I have an issue that just cropped up with my 30%er loosing bind every other flight or so.
I am running a DX7 DSM2 with an AR7000. The plane has all Hitec digital servos and dual LiFe rx batts running through a 42% brand fail safe dual switch batt share system.
I am also running a WIKE IBEC to power the ignition. The WIKE and most of the servos have been used on another aircraft with no issues.
Also, I have switched out both the AR7000 and DX7 on this plane - have spares - to eliminate that from the problem statement.
So, it's probably NOT the RX or TX in this case.
This is a first for me in years of flying this type of setup.
It's weird. It binds fine and is good for a few flights. Then I turn the TX on and then the plane and no lights appear on the RX...unbound...
I talked to Horizon and they didn't really have anything to add.
My initial thought is something is shorting out the bind plug to the RX where the power/42% switch is plugged in (batt/bind). Tough one to figure out...
Any experience or help would be appreciated. Thanks..
"The WIKE and most of the servos have been used on another aircraft with no issues."
Were the same receivers used and if so were the plugs tight and had to be wriggled off, perhaps expanding the socket in one plug?
extract from answer to another similar problem:
Receiver Pins, Leads and connections.
Caution is recommended when changing Transceivers or Receivers in a model which has been used
with a different brand previously installed or a servo moved from one model to another.
The pins in different brand receivers are not all the same size, nor are the male fittings within
different brand servo plugs/extension leads all the same size.
Especially noticeable if changing from Futaba to Hitec & JR, the metal sockets in the male plugs often stay expanded and cause intermittant problems.
Many cheap "after market" leads & plugs have different size connections
and whilst the covers may be a tight fit, the actual metal contacts may not be, with some shown to widen out
and not return to a tight fit when reused. Be alert to pin sockets backing out of battery & extension lead plugs,
a frequent unseen cause of intermittant connections and Digital Servo Burnout. (also jpg attached)

Much more information available under sub sections
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures"
"Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs, Convert to an ESC or winch & FAQ."
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12991.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	1893009  
Old 06-19-2013, 06:43 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

Good info Alan, never thought of that.