Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Can i save a rusted nitro motor?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Can i save a rusted nitro motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:48 AM
AnAlternateEgo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i save a rusted nitro motor?

About a year ago i mounted a brand new OS 61fx motor on one of my fav planes. Some dickhead then decides to break into my shop and gather up a bunch of stuff and set it out behind the building in some plot to steal. Well my .61fx that had only 5 or 6 tanks of fuel through it was left outside for 5 or 6 days before i found out what had happened and by then all the head bolts were rusted and the carb was rusted shut. This happened to immediately follow two crashes i had the week before(one was pilot error one was equipment failure) and i was just fed up with my planes. Last week i pulled this motor back out and felt the gumption to fix it and fly. The piston and sleeve of this motor is flawless but the shaft, bearing, and carb are rusted tight. I sprayed some PB Blaster in it last night and i've had it sitting over night, hasn't loosened up yet. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for some way for me to save this motor without having to buy all new parts for it. Thank you in advance for any and all help you can send my way!
Old 06-14-2013, 11:27 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Can i save a rusted nitro motor?

Rust in 5 or 6 days has locked up the engine. I would think that is an extremely short period of time to lock up the engine, but anyway you can fill up the engine with fuel and let it soak for a day or two. Drain it and it should loosen up. Once it has loosened up, put some oil in it like gun oil or 3 in 1 oil to preserve it. Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-14-2013, 11:30 AM
AnAlternateEgo

Well the carb was rusted in 5 or 6 days. Idk how bad the motor was at that time, it was almost a year later that i took it apart this week and looked inside.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:43 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

About 90% of a two stroke (OS FX engines are two stoke) is aluminum. Offhand, the only parts I can think of that could possibly rust are the wrist pin, the carb barrel, the bearings and the various bolts Aluminum won't rust. Could it be some kind of corrosion?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Calvinman

Recently I was put in charge of freeing up two OS engines that were siezed from sitting, it turned out a little heat will get the castor to change from "varnish" to Molasis. I had to let the motor soak in hot oil then turn it over to suspend/disolve the old castor oil. Hope this will work for you. Using just heat will work but the castor will just reharden as the parts cool.Calvi.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:45 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

I would consider new bearings and a GOOD cleaning while it is apart. I redid a very old OS 40ABC FSR that had been stored in a damp basement for about 8 years. I rebuilt it and oiled it up WELL. Last week I used it on an ugly stick and was able to flip start it !
Old 06-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming you're a gearhead. I've freed up a lot of seized engines using the crockpot/antifreeze method. Set the pot on low, remove the glow plug and back plate, and dip it for about 8 hours. It cleans the engine too. Take the bearings out while hot, much easier. Heat the case up again to install the new bearings. I think that carb can be salvaged, just have to work at. Dont put any plastic parts in the antifreeze. Most of the time you can remove the plastic throttle arm (if you have one) and dip it in the pot with the rest of the engine. Like was said oil it up good when reassembling. I like to use marvel air tool oil.
Edwin
Old 06-14-2013, 10:18 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Edwin

I'm assuming you're a gearhead. I've freed up a lot of seized engines using the crockpot/antifreeze method. Set the pot on low, remove the glow plug and back plate, and dip it for about 8 hours. It cleans the engine too. Take the bearings out while hot, much easier. Heat the case up again to install the new bearings. I think that carb can be salvaged, just have to work at. Dont put any plastic parts in the antifreeze. Most of the time you can remove the plastic throttle arm (if you have one) and dip it in the pot with the rest of the engine. Like was said oil it up good when reassembling. I like to use marvel air tool oil.
Edwin
a not for those who want to use the crock pot method which works great for cleaning engines, once you use it for antifreeze, it is unsuitable for cooking food, antifreeze is toxic stuff and can kill you if ingested, the residue is bad stuff
Old 06-17-2013, 07:29 PM
chadxp1

This sounds like a story problem from a math book.So the total days rusted would be = 1 year + 5 or 6 days. Divide this by 5 or 6 tanks of gas and you get one rusted engine. I see. I would soak it entirely in nitro for a week. every once in awhile try rotating the crank and throttle shaft. It could probably stand to use some new bearing but would most likely work ok as is once you get it loosened up. After soaking for awhile I would take it apart and soak some more. Just my opinion.

chad

ORIGINAL: AnAlternateEgo

About a year ago i mounted a brand new OS 61fx motor on one of my fav planes. Some dickhead then decides to break into my shop and gather up a bunch of stuff and set it out behind the building in some plot to steal. Well my .61fx that had only 5 or 6 tanks of fuel through it was left outside for 5 or 6 days before i found out what had happened and by then all the head bolts were rusted and the carb was rusted shut. This happened to immediately follow two crashes i had the week before(one was pilot error one was equipment failure) and i was just fed up with my planes. Last week i pulled this motor back out and felt the gumption to fix it and fly. The piston and sleeve of this motor is flawless but the shaft, bearing, and carb are rusted tight. I sprayed some PB Blaster in it last night and i've had it sitting over night, hasn't loosened up yet. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for some way for me to save this motor without having to buy all new parts for it. Thank you in advance for any and all help you can send my way!
Old 06-17-2013, 08:05 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you're talking about bright red rust I'd hit it with rust/bluing remover usually sold for guns. You may find that the steel parts are too pitted or rough to still be used, but at least you won't spend a week fooling with it to find that out.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:07 PM
AnAlternateEgo

Ok guys...i have it submerged in some old nitro fuel of mine. Lets see how this goes.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:39 AM
chadxp1

Have you peaked in on the engine? Tried rotating the crank?
Old 06-25-2013, 06:54 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

I have seen the crockpot/antifreeze method work before, if the nitro fuel doesn't work I would try that. Just be careful with it and don't use the crockpot again for anything else.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:55 AM
Edwin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the process of fixing a seized up engine. I did over night in the crockpot, got it loosened up and apart.
Edwin
Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Highly doubt that rust is your problem, more likely congealed castor oil residue. Solution:heat. Heat the carb and engine with a high intensity heat gun or torch while gently applying pressure to the moving parts and they will soon start moving.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:19 AM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Rodney

Highly doubt that rust is your problem, more likely congealed castor oil residue. Solution:heat. Heat the carb and engine with a high intensity heat gun or torch while gently applying pressure to the moving parts and they will soon start moving.
This would be a last resort kind of thing for me, if the problem is oil residue there are plenty of cleaners that can be used that won't risk damaging anything. If the cleaners don't work then I would try to do what you said.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:31 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
As has been said earlier our glow engines are made of aluminium and thus doesn´t rust. The only thing inside the engine that can rust and often do so, is the bearings, crank and piston pin. Of these three the bearings is often the culprit. The carb barrel is made of steel too but it's not likely to rust, especially after just a few days outside.

What does make a engine freese up is old congeled Castor oil, and this is easily fixed by heating the engine with either a propane tortch or a heat gun.
But...in my opinion, take the engine apart and clean it! If you cannot turn the crank over the ball bearings certainly needs a looking over and probably need to be changed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29031.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1894984   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37260.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1894985   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73673.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1894986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys49994.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1894987   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91874.jpg
Views:	671
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1894988  
Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 PM
chadxp1

I would remove all rubber o-rings before taking a torch to it.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In most of the cases I've seen, just using a heat gun like you use for shrinking covering will get the carb hot enough to let it start moving. I've never had any luck trying to soak one free no matter what fluid you use.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:31 PM
AnAlternateEgo

Ok guys, I let the motor sit in nitro fuel for about a month with no budge. I just happened to be walking aroud autozone this past weekend and they had a jug of wd-40 rust remover that claimed it was safe for all metals, plastics, and composits. 24hrs later and a little help with a wrench and the piston and carb and smooth as silk again! I haven't put the motor back together yet to check compression bc i figure i need to oil the innerds down pretty well just in case the wd-40 remover did its degreasing. Does anybody see any problem with soaking the bearings and shaft in lithium grease from a can? I figure it will at least be a good start as the oil from the nitro fuel would work it out later on....right?
Old 08-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Usually the wrist pin and crank can be cleaned up and saved but the bearings tend to get pitted and flakes of rust can get between them and the race. You can clean them out well enough to start and run but they tend not to last very long. You can usually feel and hear bearings that are pitted. For under $15.00 you can get a new set from rcbearings.com. Why bother putting the engine back together when you can just replace the bearings now.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:47 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Agreed, I would never take apart an engine that has rust/corrosion and not replace bearings. BTW SOS pads work wonders cleaning rust off steel parts and will make the cast aluminum parts look new.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:03 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You're overthinking the grease thing. A simple shot of WD-40 will be enough to keep anything from rusting. The stuff is made of mostly fish oil and was specifically engineered to be a water displacer to prevent rust on iron. A shot of after run oil after you have it all back together will lubricate the internals plenty to start the engine.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

I keep a bottle of the good SIG Castor oil on my shelve just for rebuilding. I have used WD 40 when I was out and it worked OK for assembling. WD 40 is also great for removing water spots and scale on shower glass. Stinks a little but works great.