Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Flaps and slow fly by???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Flaps and slow fly by???

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:43 PM
martin_wam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Flaps and slow fly by???

As an airline pilot and technical pilot I couldn't disagree more.
If you want to fly at the slowest possible airspeed, you need full flaps.
Indeed the lift/drag ratio with full flaps compared to take off flaps is lower but full flaps reduce the stall speed quite significant compared to take off flaps.
So why don't airliners take off with full flaps?
Airliners are certified to meet specific climb gradients in case of an engine failure during take off, and since the flap configuration may not be changed during take off it would simply not be possible to fulfill the required gradients with a higher flap setting than take off.
Usually airliners have two flap setting for take off. If the runway is short or there is a close-in obstacle the higher setting is used, since you want to get off the runway a early as possible.
The above does not apply with models having more than 45 degree flaps.
Above 45 degree flaps, the flaps act more like drag devices than lift devices.
Martin
Old 06-13-2013, 08:07 AM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: martin_wam

As an airline pilot and technical pilot I couldn't disagree more.
If you want to fly at the slowest possible airspeed, you need full flaps.
Indeed the lift/drag ratio with full flaps compared to take off flaps is lower but full flaps reduce the stall speed quite significant compared to take off flaps.
So why don't airliners take off with full flaps?
Airliners are certified to meet specific climb gradients in case of an engine failure during take off, and since the flap configuration may not be changed during take off it would simply not be possible to fulfill the required gradients with a higher flap setting than take off.
Usually airliners have two flap setting for take off. If the runway is short or there is a close-in obstacle the higher setting is used, since you want to get off the runway a early as possible.
The above does not apply with models having more than 45 degree flaps.
Above 45 degree flaps, the flaps act more like drag devices than lift devices.
Martin
Can I have your autograph? Including myself,you are at least the third or
fourth airline pilot to post here. He's asking about the best way to go slow,
and maximize his smoke with an RC jet here. Thanks for impressing us though.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:18 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

just remember whatever you do, try it out at least 300 ft in the air in case you stall the jet!
Old 06-13-2013, 05:38 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need to give credit where credit is due. Martin is right and I am somewhat off the mark. Landing flaps do in fact give you a lower stall speed, up to a point. Once you get past a certain deflection; however, you stop adding lift and start adding drag. There is a point where lift is maximized at minimum drag expense, that would be a good setting, assuming you have enough thrust on tap to push yourself along in level flight!

I should have elaborated a bit about "takeoff flaps." Full size airplanes and especially jet airliners often have different takeoff flap settings. A lower deflection setting, say 5 degrees, which give a better climb rate due to a higher climb speed; and a higher flap setting, say 15 degrees, which allows a steeper angle of climb and allows for rotation at a lower airspeed because of the lower stall speed, hence a shorter takeoff roll. So I would go with the higher takeoff flap setting if I wanted to do a slow flyby.

There is definitely an amount of deflection you do not want to exceed. Short of that point, you will just have to play test pilot to find the best setting.

Now, if you are flying a Hotspot......

Don't worry gents, I know when to quit!

Old 06-14-2013, 04:35 AM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Gino,

For what it's worth,I use full flaps with crow on the Kingcat,to do the slow flyby with smoke. No gear though. The crow setup is draggy enough. More stable than takeoff flaps,and the engine is spooled more,so when I smack it to go vertical it's right there.

I think it depends alot on the jet. I don't know what Brian's using in the smokeout. good luck Brian!!

Erik
Old 06-14-2013, 12:55 PM
Racerbuilder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the L29 we use 90 degree on all 4 Flaps, all less will only raise and not make em slow...

see video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzv7a_SB1Xc