Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Second plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Second plane?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Cale in KS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Second plane?

Hi all, an RC Universe forum newbie... I am thinking I need a second plane. My first was the Hobbyzone Supercub, and I'm not gonna say I have mastered it, but I find that I am craving a little more performace, and something with aeilerons. I have flown my buddies Parkzone wildcat with a trainer cable, and did fairly well, I didn't land it, but I him and I both thought I did pretty well... Looking into Parkzone F4U Corsair. Cool plane, and all the reviews seem to be good. Any feedback?
Old 06-05-2013, 09:23 PM
DenverJayhawk

Default RE: Second plane?

two words: Big Stik
Old 06-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

A low or mid wing trainer like these:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZT80&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYXF7&P=0
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRB44&P=0
Old 06-06-2013, 03:57 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The Mini Ultra Stick will be perfect for your level if you are wanting to stay with park flyers. It's designed to be a second plane to let you develop your skills more. They are great in the wind and can be extremely maneuverable if you turn up the throws. After a couple of flights, you'll be saying the stick is easier to fly than the Super Cub was. Get an experienced pilot to take it up the first time and get everything trimmed out correctly. If you want to move up to bigger planes, a .40 or .60 size stick from pretty much anybody who makes one will do nicely.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:15 AM
jetmech05

Go big get a Sig Kadet from there a 4Star60 or a Pulse.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:03 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are going to stay electric then think about the " apprentice " and after that maybe a T28 or an electric stick . If you are going glow then a high wing trainer followed by something like a stick. DON'T get sucked into " It looks neat " type decisions , get proficient then get the looks neat stuff . It's a lot cheaper that way and can be more fun because you aren't worried about looks that much . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-06-2013, 08:18 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: DenverJayhawk

two words: Big Stik
Ibid!

+3

You'll never tire of a Stik and it will hold up to the abuse of a second plane.

Easy to repair, rugged, does VERY well in winds, lands easily, can be hovered, harriered, etc...

Old 06-06-2013, 09:44 AM
carrellh

I have seen the PZ Corsair flown by an experienced pilot but do not know if it is a good second plane. Scale models usually are not good second planes but I do not know how scale this one is. I built a GP 40 size and it is not a scale model. It is an easy flying sport plane that sort of looks like a Corsair.

Any of the 'ugly stick' variants make good second planes. This one http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ck-arf-EFL2250 is a bit smaller than your Cub. I was surprised to see how well it handles windy conditions. This one is a little bigger http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...5e-arf-EFL4025

The Pulse series http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...5e-arf-EFL4100 is generally regarded as a good second plane and low wing trainer.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:06 PM
SharpProp

.40 size Ultra Stik was my second plane and is still my favorite to fly today. It's my go to flyer on windy days, or just when I want to relax. I even set up a "dialed down" version in my radio and use the ultra stik as a trainer.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:45 AM
chevypower1930

The E Flite Stick 25 is a BEAUTIFULLY flying airplane. Could absolutely be a second plane on low rates, and will give you a much more exciting flying experience then the Super Cub.

Here's an on board video of mine just 2 days ago, I'm flying with a power 32 motor set up on 4 cells, you can see this plane has unlimited vertical and plenty of performance, but will also slow down to a crawl and is amazingly stable.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4zoi-sP9Q4[/youtube]

Good luck on your decision, there are also PLENTY of small BNF planes that won't break the budget, and will absolutely quench your thirst for fun and performance. Also, now with the AS3X technology, they are actually fantastic small flyers with impressive stability.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:19 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those who say a good choice is a stick know of what they speak. My flight performance really improved with my ultra stick 60. I have had two of them and wish they were still sold. I am getting my ultra stick lite ready for flight after several years in the attic. I just wish it was still available as well. These planes are a good transition from wings with a lot of dihedral like on trainers and those with none.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:46 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It will improve your flying skills as a novice pilot, and it will also serve as a relaxing "burn holes in the sky" plane later on when you're pushing yourself with fancier or higher performing planes. There's always a place in the hangar for an Ugly Stick.

For what it's worth, here's the progression I'll suggest. Since we're talking about park flyers, I'll keep those in mind although the progression works with nitro planes also.

Trainer- preferably 4 channel, but the Super Cub is fine. Gets you comfortable with flying and teaches your orientation.
Stick- bigger flies better, but they all fly well. Teaches you to fly the plane yourself instead of depending on the self righting characteristics. Lets you start working on basic aerobatic skills. Gives you more flying days due to much improved wind handling. The Parkzone T-28 isn't a stick, but it has a lot of the same desirable qualities.
Aerobat- any SPA type plane is good, or anything made for pattern. Teaches you to fly more precisely and is even better in the wind. Also makes stalled maneuvers like spins and snaps possible.
Scale- Go whatever direction you want here. True scale Cubs are ubiquitous for good reason (not the foamy Super Cubs, but models that actually fly like Cubs) as are the various warbirds. Park flyer warbirds really fly like sport planes with funky coupling issues. Balsa nitro and gas powered planes are more sensitive to bad piloting. For the ultimate challenge, go with a detailed out (which means heavy) WWI biplane.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:32 AM
RCEM-Joey

I'll second the idea of the Mini Ultra stick, I don't have one myself but I will eventually build or buy one. I see plenty of people out there with them and they fly great. that GIANT chord helps for stable slower flight. For a balsa plane they are easy to repair as well. 

that being said, you *do* have to consider that it is wood. I do not recommend the Corsair, it's a beautiful plane but requires a little experience as it can get you into trouble and isn't the fastest at recovering, eg: tip stalling on landing.  Depending on what you want I would recommend a foam plane as they repair easy and replacement parts are cheap depending on the brand. The Parkzone T-28 is a good second plane, it looks good and flys well, but is also forgiving.

Also, remember that most planes can be upgraded later, usually the stock settings are a little tame and adjusting throws and changing out the motor/ESC will add new life.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 AM
opjose

ORIGINAL: RCEM-Joey

that being said, you *do* have to consider that it is wood.
Which is a VERY good thing.

You can fabricate replacement parts out of items available in any hobby shop or on-line.

The ability to use standard covering means that your repairs leave the plane looking as good as or sometimes BETTER than new.... unlike the very poor repairs that foam planes endure.

Foamies can be glued back together if they happen to break "just right" and you find all the pieces, but they look awful unless you engage in a lot of filling, sanding & painting.

Most foamies look like trash heaps after one season of hard flying.... and you have to treat them like they are made of glass to avoid permant dings.

Balsa/Ply planes can practically fly forever if you invest a bit of time as some of the prior repair photos in the Stik threads attest to.

That "foamies are easier to repair" is merely a marketing myth.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 PM
Stick 40

I have the parkzone F4U Corsair, its a nice plane but a little over your level. It also has some problems, you must put so much weight in the nose that it causes problems.

find another plane, look at this one later.

sticks
Old 06-14-2013, 01:51 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Stick are THE easiest design to scratch build and this one could EASILY be made from 2 sheets of dollar store foam board
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490620
I am using it as a primary trainer for a new guy. I recommend an KFm 3 wing with an arrow shaft spar.