Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

opto kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 06:22 PM
BadAzzMaxx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: opto kill switch

RCexl also sells a switch with a charging jack for receiver batteries.

Milton
Old 06-15-2013, 05:53 AM
flyboy57id
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ahicks

ORIGINAL: BadAzzMaxx

I have a question for you too Milton. I've seen Rcexl switches in a couple different places now that use the lead that plugs into the receiver to supply power to the ign. module, rather than having a seperate power lead. Are these switches coming from Rcexl this way, or are people modifying them per the directions that come with them, and selling them this way for a couple bucks more? -Al

Edit

I though you were talking about just there regular power switch.

They will work that way without any modifications, I just do not like doing it like that but to each his own.

Milton
Maybe I'm confused? Is there more than one version of the Rcexl Opti Switch available? -Al
Valley View RC is selling 3 versions of the RCexl ignition kill switches: http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/e...-switches.html
Gordon
Old 06-15-2013, 06:12 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

I must confess to being an "early adopter" of electronic kill switches, and have never found one that was "junk".

Currently have in place, working, and using (testing before each session), the RC Excel Opto isolated, the Ed Alt Tech unit, and two of the Hobby King $12 electro-optical switches.  All work so far and perfectly. All advertise "optical isolation" on the power side, and I have not a clue about whether or not they radiate evil-radio-killing RFI....at least since they are technically "on" all the time the radio is on, seems to me if they were radiating trash, I would have had a crash or two by now.

I also am only using Hitec Aurora 9 equipment on 2.4Ghz.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:03 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyboy57id

ORIGINAL: BadAzzMaxx

I have a question for you too Milton. I've seen Rcexl switches in a couple different places now that use the lead that plugs into the receiver to supply power to the ign. module, rather than having a seperate power lead. Are these switches coming from Rcexl this way, or are people modifying them per the directions that come with them, and selling them this way for a couple bucks more? -Al

Edit

I though you were talking about just there regular power switch.

They will work that way without any modifications, I just do not like doing it like that but to each his own.

Milton
Maybe I'm confused? Is there more than one version of the Rcexl Opti Switch available? -Al
Valley View RC is selling 3 versions of the RCexl ignition kill switches: http://www.valleyviewrc.com/estore/e...-switches.html
Gordon
Gordon,
I was trying to be tactfull as Milton is an Rcexl distibutor. VV is one of the sources I'm talking about but there are several others. I don't know if Rcexl is offering those as they are being marketed, or if VV (as well as others) might not be modifying them? I've been modding my own since they went to the V2 switch mounted in the hard case and supplied directions to do that. No incidents to date, and I have several in service.

Bob,
I tried that HK switch. After switching the male and female leads to get the one I had working, it just didn't leave me with the cozy feeling I need to sleep well with it installed. Other than that, I'm like you. Have been using the opti switches since they came out. Flying with an A9 as well, one of the first... Even when the scare came out and they told us to stop using the switches. Mine were flying well, so I proceeded....
-Al
Old 06-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

ahicks - weird that you had to rewire the HK switch....that's something! Mine worked out-of-pkg, I just had to test the semi-reversed-non-intuitive-un-documented logic of the LED blinking on power up, and which status a steady LED meant...
Old 06-23-2013, 06:45 AM
dlenginesaustralia

ORIGINAL: Bob Pastorello

I must confess to being an ''early adopter'' of electronic kill switches, and have never found one that was ''junk''.

Currently have in place, working, and using (testing before each session), the RC Excel Opto isolated, the Ed Alt Tech unit, and two of the Hobby King $12 electro-optical switches. All work so far and perfectly. All advertise ''optical isolation'' on the power side, and I have not a clue about whether or not they radiate evil-radio-killing RFI....at least since they are technically ''on'' all the time the radio is on, seems to me if they were radiating trash, I would have had a crash or two by now.

I also am only using Hitec Aurora 9 equipment on 2.4Ghz.

Same here Bob, and I had been using them with 36Mhz (Australian FM channel) Futaba PCM RX's for several years as well prior to going 2.4Ghz. I have used the Smartfly Optical, 42% OptoKill and RCEXL Opto (apparently pretty much a copy of 42% unit) and recently the Tech Aero ones without issue.

All these units are supposed to have the necessary filtering in place to cope with the RF issue.

Only crashes I have had are a result of my aerobatic ambition exceeding my ability