Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:02 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: GROUP BUILD - Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Hey Dave (Dabevan)

VERY NICE BUILD,

George
CORSAIRBrotherhood # 1
Old 06-16-2013, 07:53 PM
Me410

Hi all,

Did my maiden yesterday. Flew great, very happy. Heard a small flutter on the first flight, pushed the speed more in the second flight and got alot of flutter.
Other pilots watching saw flutter in the elevator. I landed and checked it and have more slop in the elevator where the piano wire moves it. The flutter must have pounded out the fit there and now it's too loose.Need to do some surgery.

Other than that problem, it flew great. Landings were a piece of cake.
Power is a G62 with a Xoar 22x10 warbird prop. Pulls it around well enough. The engine is new and running alittle rich, so should get stronger.

Dave aka Dabevan, you are running a 22x8 Xoar with your G62, I would suggest you try more pitch, like the 22x10. An APC prop seems the most efficient, though not the best looking, but it should give you a good safe flight to compare.

By buddy Frank once again took a great video, check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFf84B8kaN4

A few changes were made during constructon, I can list them if anybody is interested.
Covered with 3/4 oz cloth and Z-poxy.
Panel lines and burned in rivots.
Masks and rub-ons from Get Stenciles
Painted with Warbird Colors.
Dummy radial from IMP scale, Pilot from Vailly Avation, Cockpit kit from TopFlite
Fiberglass cowl from Fiberglass Specialties
Robart retracts, Dubro wheels

Nob's/Hangtime Hobbies, 5 cell 2500ma NICD battery

The plane, 82732 VMF-512,allMarine pilots, USS Gilbert Island
Old 06-17-2013, 01:47 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me410

On my first one I had a bit of flutter the same place, just one side, then lost it do to engine quitting, so when I built my secound one I epoxied in some brass tubing that just fit the wire and the same for the rudder, and coming out of a 45 deg dive at about 20 ft flat out have not had any more flutter but I still get a little tail wag

Hope this give you a heads up on your coming surgery

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377 Corsair Brotherhood # 5
Old 06-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Me410

Thanks for the info Bob.

I built the 60 size TF Corsair several years ago and just used some ply supporting the wire and never had a problem. So did the same with the big one.

I was thinking about brass tubing for the repair, likeyou did, slide it over the piano wire and have it extend right back to the trailing edge by flatening the end. Then solder and Z-poxy every thing to kill all play?

I guess i should do the rudder too.

Tom
Old 06-18-2013, 07:09 PM
rt3232

Me410

That the way to do it but I did not solder, the wire was just baerly a slip fit so no play at all.

Good luck with your repair

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-25-2013, 12:46 PM
nbaror

Hello all
I am somewhere in the early stages of a TF F4U Giant build (Fuse woodwork is mostly done) and have a major dilemma i was hoping someone may answer
I started the work on the wing and just by studying the plans it dawned on me this wing (a single piece wing) is too dam long to fit in my car (and i am not talking a mini cooper here).
not that this is any surprise as I did notice this fact by reading the assembly workbook before purchasing.
Anyhow, I was wondering if someone knows, seen heard of or has personal hands on building this wing as a three piece wing with the center section and two tips detachable?
<o></o>

Old 06-25-2013, 12:50 PM
dabevan

I transport mine on a rig made to fit on my roof rack.

Regards

David Bevan
Old 06-25-2013, 01:03 PM
nbaror

Hello all
I am somewhere in the early stages of a TF F4U Giant build (Fuse woodwork is mostly done) and have a major dilemma i was hoping someone may answer
I started the work on the wing and just by studying the plans it dawned on me this wing (a single piece wing) is too dam long to fit in my car (and i am not talking a mini cooper here).
not that this is any surprise as I did notice this fact by reading the assembly workbook before purchasing.
Anyhow, I was wondering if someone knows, seen heard of or has personal hands on building this wing as a three piece wing with the center section and two tips detachable?
<o></o>

Old 06-25-2013, 01:08 PM
nbaror

Thanks Dave
Yes I guess I could do this if all else faills
but than again, whaeres the chalange in that
Old 06-25-2013, 01:18 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should not be too much of an engineering problem.

My 14 year old Byron's Corsair has a 3-piece wing.
The Top Flite GS Corsair ARF has a 3-piece wing.
The new Hangar 9 60cc Corsair ARF has a 3-piece wing.

I believe I saw some references to a 3-piece wing in this thread.
Some people use wing tubes and others use the SIG extrusion & tab connection.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:42 PM
rt3232

nbaror

Go To the first poas #1 and look at the endex if you surf the wing section you will find so good ansures to your question, as I was not into a 3 piece wing I did not log those pages or post

Hope this helps

Cheers Bob T
AMA13377 Corsair Brotherhood #5
Old 06-26-2013, 01:27 AM
raaf

hi nbaror
if you type in "corsair with plug in wings " into the search section of warbirds and warplanes you will find what you need.

cheer raaf.#79 corsair brotherhood

Old 06-26-2013, 08:09 AM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi Guys,
I am considering a large Corsair for my 1st Warbird. I have another large plane to build before the Corsair would start so I am just in the thinking/planning stages. I am torn between building the Top-Flite giant kit and the Ziroli Corsair. I do want to build the plane very scale and I am looking to find which would be the better platform to start with?
I have experience building from plans and the necessary tools for the job either way. Which airframe would you recommend?
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 06-26-2013, 08:54 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure either could be considered the better platform as both are proven reliable designs with readily available accessories. If cost is not an issue then I would probably choose the Ziroli just simply because it is a bit bigger. My .02 cents anyway.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 AM
nbaror

Thanks #79
That thread is realy helpful in all sorts of ways
Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 AM
MRadu

I believe Chad is correct. Both of the two planes have about the same in scale. I have both and if you go larger (Ziroli) you can add scale features like a Solo Prop (flying three blades). Also things like the canopy is more scale.

If you want more scale and don't want to build it all yourself, you can go with a Byron Corsair. It has more scale than the other two. It's size is in between the other two as well.

I have photos of mine and will post of all three planes if you want.

Just my opinion as well.

Hope this helps.

Michael
Old 06-26-2013, 09:41 AM
WacoNut

Thanks for the tips,
When you talk price it really doesn't matter as outfitting both with retracts etc: are not that much different. I will check some of the Ziroli builds and see what I am getting into. I framed up a Ziroli Stuka and Stearman so I am familiar with his building techniques.
Thanks Again!!
Anthony
Old 06-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Fly2XS
My Feedback: (65)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I love my Byron's Corsairs. The proportions are right and the gear is the right length and the wheels are the correct size (5-1/4" dia.) I spend all day shooting touch & go's with it.
I have a Ziroli Corsair kit w/FG fuse and it is nice but I'm not much of a builder. (It may be for sale soon)
I bought a TFGS Corsair airframe w/gear and the Robart 148 gear looks so stubby compared to the Robart 150B/Z gear. But it was a great price and I'll fly it until I wear it out.

Scott

ORIGINAL: WacoNut

Hi Guys,
I am considering a large Corsair for my 1st Warbird. I have another large plane to build before the Corsair would start so I am just in the thinking/planning stages. I am torn between building the Top-Flite giant kit and the Ziroli Corsair. I do want to build the plane very scale and I am looking to find which would be the better platform to start with?
I have experience building from plans and the necessary tools for the job either way. Which airframe would you recommend?
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 06-27-2013, 01:36 PM
stevegauth30

Hey guys, this is a bit off topic and all, but I wanted to share this story with someone seeing how no one was around to see it. So, I finally did the maiden on my top flite corsair. It's only the 60 size, but it's my first real warbird that I built. Any way, I finished the build a couple of months ago to find out that the robarts I bought were no good. They were the 615's. very flimsy. Other than that, it was ready to go. So after waiting and saving, I finally came up with the money and ordered a set from sierra. All I can say is, what a difference. Back to the story. So I get to the field this morn, and it was a bit foggy, and looked as if it might rain, but I put it together anyway. After almost an hour of taxing back and forth, I figured no one else was coming, and I didn't want to wait anymore, so I went for it. I smoothly advanced to half throttle, so far so good. The tail came up, and it was still tracking almost down the center line. I gave it just a bit more throttle, and low and behold, she was airborne. About four clicks of down, and two to the right, and she was straight and level. My knees were knocking and my thumbs almost couldn't feel the sticks. But at this point, I was all smiles. I flew for about ten minutes then decided it was time to bring it back down. I started slowing it down and adding flaps as I did. No ballooning what so ever. My first approach didn't quite look right, so I went back around. Second time looked perfect so I went for it. I came in at about 1/4 throttle, and it settled right in for an almost perfect landing. I've never been so excited . I taxied back to the pitts and shut her down. Wheeeeew. Glad that's out of the way. Three more flights after that, just kept getting better and better. I know this was a long winded story, but I had to share it with someone. Thanks for listening. Another satisfied corsair flier. Steve.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43375.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	387.0 KB
ID:	1895601  
Old 06-27-2013, 01:37 PM
WacoNut

I wish you had a full wood kit and we would talk,
I have never worked with a fiberglass fuse on a build. I do love to build and would prefer a wood build. I have never owned an ARF as that just deprives me of the joy of building. I will keep my eyes open as I am a long ways away from being ready to start.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 06-27-2013, 02:13 PM
pappy 883
My Feedback: (2)

Way to go Steve !
I enjoyed your story about the maiden flight cause it brought back memories of my old TF Corsair. Those are days we'll never forget....
Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 PM
rt3232

Plus 1 Steve

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-27-2013, 03:37 PM
Buckmeister

It's good to hear a maiden flight story with a good ending.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:22 PM
stevegauth30

Thanks a lot guys. It sure was a blast to fly. Hopefully I'll have many years of enjoyment with it.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:22 PM
haroldd

Generally, performers mixed their own reveals from raw pigments that they often ground themselves and technique. This made flexibility difficult and kept most oil paintings activities restricted to the studio room room. This customized in the late 19th millennium, when oil color in pipe joints became available. Artists could mix colors easily, which permitted, for the first time, relatively realistic plein air (outdoor) painting (a common technique in Italy Impressionism).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.