Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Airbrush

Old 06-15-2013, 05:49 PM
dutchy50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbrush

Hello
Am wanting to spray paint my Top flite P-40 60 size warbird which I have just built, have 3/4 oz fibreglass over all parts ( fuse, wings etc.) have sanded and am now ready for paint. Can I use an Airbrush to paint the whole plane or is this too big a job for an Airbrush. If not what is the procedure in doing so?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dutchy50
Old 06-15-2013, 06:23 PM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Airbrush

An airbrush will be too small for that large of a plane. If you're wanting to spray it, look at an automotive touch-up spray gun. Usually, you can find this type at any home improvement store, and they are relatively inexpensive IF you already own an air compressor. You can also use a regular automotive sprayer, but they are usually more expensive and take as long to clean as you'll spend painting. An airbrush is great for adding detail though - especially for exhaust and around gun breaches. Good luck!

G.barber
Old 06-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Rick W
My Feedback: (20)

Dutch

This is just my opinion from years of pinting. Others might disagree and had better luck then I did. On a plane that size I'd use a touch up gun or full size. Problem with the airbrush is getting a pattern wide enough to cover, and you really have to thin the paint which means lots of coats and spraying that much, you might end up with dry coats from the distance needed to get coverage. I have a several airbrushes, costly ones that would probably do the job but that's not what their designed for. You can usually pick up a touch up gun a lot cheaper that an airbrush.. only problem you'll need a bigger compressor.

Anyhow, no matter what you try good luck with it.

Rick I was typing reply when he he sent his..sounds the same doesn't it...
Old 06-15-2013, 11:15 PM
dutchy50

Thanks G. Barber and Rick W.
Will take your comments on board.
Regards
dutchy50
Old 06-16-2013, 07:39 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say it depends on the color or pattern you want to paint. If it is all one color, then an air brush would be to small, if it is a multi colored camo pattern, then a airbrush would work.

Now, I have had good luck with the harbor freight guns. Yes they are sometimes junk. I did have one that leaked more paint then came out of the tip. Took it back and they handed me a new one without question.

http://www.harborfreight.com/adjusta...gun-92126.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-94572.html

Buzz.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:44 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

The detail guns above (B'buzz'rd) are good and I have had great results with the purple gravity detailer with 98.267% of my painting.

Currently using the combo in the links below and have had great results with these also. Gets a good bit of use in painting all sorts of things other than planes too...like the trim all around the house, inside and out

Got this setup because I'm using glow engines and KlassKote clear epoxy paint for my fuel proofer; the purple detail gun didn't care for the epoxy paint too much. For less than two Bills you can be fully set up with sprayer, compressor, hoses, adapters, filters and seperators.

If you are at all mechanically handy and wind up doing any automotive work you'll be really happy with the larger comressors ability to keep up with with any air tools that will shortly follow your purchase of the 8gal compressor.

http://www.harborfreight.com/touch-u...gun-66871.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/air-too...sor-67501.html

Old 06-16-2013, 04:46 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Just noticed that you are in Australia[&:] If you don't have HarborFrieght you may have a similar discounter's outlet.