Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Yet another Yellow Spitfire build thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Yet another Yellow Spitfire build thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 01:28 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Yet another Yellow Spitfire build thread

Chad
Your CRAFTMANSHIP is Amizing .......
Semper Fi
Joe
Old 06-11-2013, 04:38 PM
AZThud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prop size and blade count can fun can't it? Regarding Vario prop to be honest I hadn't really thought about it, until now. The power setup we are starting with should turn a 20X13 prop somewhere around 7000 RPM the KVon the motor is 171, with that being well under 9000 its possible - Maybe.

What I have found with 3 blades and will smaller models and 4 blade props is that they look better but tend to use more power over a 2 blade and don't go as fast as their 2 blade brothers. One of our considerations is flight duration. Ihad a couple motors in mind before settling on on the RimFire 65 the other choices had higher KVratings, so for a given voltage the motor would turn faster which would generally make the prop turn faster and the plane go faster, no surprises there, the down side was the combination would draw more amps this does a couple of things, reduces flight times and makes heat. Enter another design another design requirment, scale cowl, to me that means no holes. I am pretty sure we could make this thing go like crazy for a couple minutes then land and do so with a very hot motor and batteries. As with all things electric heat kills, and the motor's magnets can start to loose their strength when heated into the 180 degree range. As we want to only use the exhaust holes to move air out from around the motor we do not need to make a lot of heat.

I think that when we are all said and done the plane will be ready to fly in the 28 pound range less would be better, those 8,000 mah batteries are heavy :-), with the 12S config and RimFire 65cc we should be producing just over 3200 watts which should translate into about 2800 once the prop is factored in. This will yield a thrust ratio in the 1 to 1 range and be at the 100 watts/pound mark, while running the motor a 50% of its max and pulling about 70 to 80 amps. This should not get to hot and will not stress the batteries If heat is not an issue a 21X14 could be possible this will be a bit faster than the 13 pitch and the climb would be interesting. Anyway that is the theory and will all things mileage does vary and will will see once its flying and the data from the speed control and GPScomes in. And besides after all that once the prop is spinning most 3 and 4 blades look like a 2 blade .

Sorry for the long post

Cheers

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

Prop selection will be left totally to the discretion of the owner but all talk thus far has indicated that the optimal two blader will be used and a static 5-blader will be made up for show. I will let Rick explain the reasoning in regards to prop choice if he wants to discuss it. Did I mention I'm totally illiterate when it comes to electric power systems? I think I'm about to get an education!
Old 06-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: F4u5
Should be great work Chad..love your stuff.
Thanks Jeff, right back at 'ya. Really hoping to make WOTR this year and see all you crazy Minnesotans again!

ORIGINAL: uncljoe
Chad
Your CRAFTMANSHIP is Amizing .......[img][/img]
Thanks for checking in and for the compliment Joe, much appreciated.

ORIGINAL: AZThud

Prop size and blade count can fun can't it? Regarding Vario prop to be honest I hadn't really thought about it, until now. The power setup we are starting with should turn a 20X13 prop somewhere around 7000 RPM the KV on the motor is 171, with that being well under 9000 its possible - Maybe.

What I have found with 3 blades and will smaller models and 4 blade props is that they look better but tend to use more power over a 2 blade and don't go as fast as their 2 blade brothers. One of our considerations is flight duration. I had a couple motors in mind before settling on on the RimFire 65 the other choices had higher KV ratings, so for a given voltage the motor would turn faster which would generally make the prop turn faster and the plane go faster, no surprises there, the down side was the combination would draw more amps this does a couple of things, reduces flight times and makes heat. Enter another design another design requirment, scale cowl, to me that means no holes. I am pretty sure we could make this thing go like crazy for a couple minutes then land and do so with a very hot motor and batteries. As with all things electric heat kills, and the motor's magnets can start to loose their strength when heated into the 180 degree range. As we want to only use the exhaust holes to move air out from around the motor we do not need to make a lot of heat.

I think that when we are all said and done the plane will be ready to fly in the 28 pound range less would be better, those 8,000 mah batteries are heavy :-), with the 12S config and RimFire 65cc we should be producing just over 3200 watts which should translate into about 2800 once the prop is factored in. This will yield a thrust ratio in the 1 to 1 range and be at the 100 watts/pound mark, while running the motor a 50% of its max and pulling about 70 to 80 amps. This should not get to hot and will not stress the batteries If heat is not an issue a 21X14 could be possible this will be a bit faster than the 13 pitch and the climb would be interesting. Anyway that is the theory and will all things mileage does vary and will will see once its flying and the data from the speed control and GPS comes in. And besides after all that once the prop is spinning most 3 and 4 blades look like a 2 blade [img][/img].
Thanks for that Rick. I didn't understand any of it but thanks. []

Old 06-11-2013, 06:31 PM
smurfjet
My Feedback: (40)

Hey Chad,

Great project! Looking forward to the build. I'm sure the attention to detail on this will be second to none. You picked my favorite Spitfire scheme. The first yellow spit I ever built I did in that scheme, although as you know it was the restored PS915. I sold it some years ago and it's still around here in town.

I think I still have an extra panther decal in vinyl if you want it. Happy to send it to you It might not be exact for the wartime version but it was done to look like the restoration. You might be able to use it as a starting point for a template or something. Shoot me your addy and I'll drop it in the mail for you.

I'm sure you "the spitfire guru" have seen this site, but for those that have not its a great webpage from the 152nd squadron. Some great stuff on there. Have a look -

http://www.152hyderabad.co.uk/

I'm really looking forward to this build. From one spitfire nut to another!

Dave

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32524.jpg
Views:	4456
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1891048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv61240.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	1891049  
Old 06-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 06-11-2013, 10:17 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: smurfjet
Hey Chad,

Great project! Looking forward to the build. I'm sure the attention to detail on this will be second to none. You picked my favorite Spitfire scheme. The first yellow spit I ever built I did in that scheme, although as you know it was the restored PS915. I sold it some years ago and it's still around here in town.

I think I still have an extra panther decal in vinyl if you want it. Happy to send it to you It might not be exact for the wartime version but it was done to look like the restoration. You might be able to use it as a starting point for a template or something. Shoot me your addy and I'll drop it in the mail for you.

I'm sure you ''the spitfire guru'' have seen this site, but for those that have not its a great webpage from the 152nd squadron. Some great stuff on there. Have a look -

http://www.152hyderabad.co.uk/

I'm really looking forward to this build. From one spitfire nut to another!

Dave
Hi Dave! Your "UMG" is beautiful and particularly so in that first shot with the static 5-blader. Where did you get that prop if I can ask? Sure save me a lot of time if I don't have to carve it myself! PM inbound regarding the panther decal.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:55 PM
MerlinII

Hello Chad

The 5 blade static prop is available through yellow aircraft i believe.
An other source is http://www.fighteraces.co.uk/

Still have a kit myself of the yellow spit waiting a couple of years now [&o], my build list is too long...
Looking forward to this electric powered version, although not being a big fan (yet) of electric powered warbirds at the moment

Maybe your build will change my mind

Frank
Old 06-12-2013, 03:51 AM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

Good luck Chad, I'm sure you will do a wonderful job. I'll be watching.

Cheers,

Brad
Old 06-12-2013, 07:49 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Didn't Yellow used to offer fiberglass static blade for the spit?

EDIT: yes they do http://www.yellowaircraft.com/props/spitfire.htm

FIBERGLASS STATIC PROPELLER WITH SPINNER............SPIT121
Old 06-12-2013, 09:11 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looking forward to the build as well. Has YA gotten away from the fiberglass horizontal stabilizer (maybe it was the elevators that were fiberglass)?
Old 06-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Chad Veich

Thanks for the information on the static prop guys. I guess I knew that Yellow offered it but for some reason it had slipped my mind. Getting old sucks!

Steve, the kit still comes with a fiberglass horizontal stab but I'm not a fan of it. They are generally a bit on the "wavy" side and do not allow for an easy method of scale hinging. Plus, my built up tail has proven to be lighter which is always a factor with Spitfires.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:35 AM
Check6
My Feedback: (427)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Chad,
Following along on your build. As you know I built one for a friend of mine a while back completely stock. He was doing the finishing. Always enjoy your builds and your engineering. Very informative.
Thanks,
Fred Menna Check6
Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 PM
dblmars
My Feedback: (7)

Hello Chad,
I am interested in the detail kits that you are producing for the YA Spitfire. Are they currently available...?

Blue Skies,

Old 06-14-2013, 03:37 AM
Tony Gag Jr.
My Feedback: (124)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: dblmars

Hello Chad,
I am interested in the detail kits that you are producing for the YA Spitfire. Are they currently available...?

Blue Skies,

+1
Old 06-14-2013, 11:17 AM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Check6
Always enjoy your builds and your engineering. Very informative.
Right back at you Fred! Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Chad Veich

Hello Chad,
Blue Skies,
Currently the only thing available specifically for the Yellow Spitfire is the built up tail kit. As noted above the cockpit kit is actually for the Taylor design but many builders have utilized it in the Yellow kit with the exception of the bulkheads. By the time we get done with this build though I will be able to offer a cockpit specific to the Yellow kit, bulkheads and all. As well I will have a complete laser cut vinyl surface detail kit to include rivets, fasteners, hatches, inspection panels, pinking tape, etc. Of course we may find a few other things during the course of the build and I will gladly make whatever they might be available to other builders.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:08 PM
Brad330l
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

Hello Chad,
Blue Skies,
Currently the only thing available specifically for the Yellow Spitfire is the built up tail kit. As noted above the cockpit kit is actually for the Taylor design but many builders have utilized it in the Yellow kit with the exception of the bulkheads. By the time we get done with this build though I will be able to offer a cockpit specific to the Yellow kit, bulkheads and all. As well I will have a complete laser cut vinyl surface detail kit to include rivets, fasteners, hatches, inspection panels, pinking tape, etc. Of course we may find a few other things during the course of the build and I will gladly make whatever they might be available to other builders.
Chad please make a perfectly balanced scale shaped lite and strong flying spinner out of carbon fibre for us all.

Brad
Old 06-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: Brad330l
Chad please make a perfectly balanced scale shaped lite and strong flying spinner out of carbon fibre for us all.
Don't I wish! The spinner is certainly one area where Yellow lets the builder down with this kit.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:42 PM
wphilb
My Feedback: (10)

Really? What's wrong with the spinner? I've been flying with the stock one for years.

Whit
Old 06-15-2013, 07:23 PM
kenair

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spinner:
The recess in the back plate - uggghhh!
The heavy back plate really slows the spool up time of the engine and is hard on the front bearing.

A single center bolt would make taking the spinner cone off and on easier.
cheers, ken
Old 06-15-2013, 07:54 PM
ccostant
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I 2nd the center bolt method. All those little screws is a real PIA. Ever had the allen head opening in a button head screw get enlarged? Very difficult to get out.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:16 PM
Chad Veich

Along with the issues mentioned above the spinner has always appeared a bit too "bulbous" to my eye.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:34 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I may be willing to mold a carbon spinner for this model..

The big question is, what are you guys willing to pay for the spinner?
How many are interested?
Old 06-16-2013, 10:17 AM
wphilb

I would be interested, obviously price dependent.

What is the stock spinners list price?

Whit
Old 06-16-2013, 10:19 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I also would be interested and price dependant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.