Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Top Flite Freshman trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Top Flite Freshman trainer

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:20 AM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Flite Freshman trainer

I've been thinking of building a .40 size sport trainer and remember liking the looks of the old Freshman Trainer kitted by Top Flite. I've found that the plans are available from the AMA plans service. Does anyone have any experience wiht this model? Thanks, Prop
Old 03-17-2008, 07:39 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Freshman trainer

Reminds me of a Tipsy Nipper. I bought a kit that had only one fuselage side; I cut two new fuse sides -- lost interest in it and sold it at a club auction. I guess it never appealed to many as I never saw but one flying and as I remember, it flew very well but more like a sport model -- it does not have a flat-bottom airfoil. I don't know if the one I saw flying had any mods to it or not. It has rather small control surfaces and unlike usual convention, the trailing edge stock on the wing was preshaped with the hinge throw relief angle. The hardwood motor mount, tank hatch, and bolt on wing are nice features but there seems to be a lot of parts for such a simple design. The reverse main gear fairings and chin scoop are a nice touch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36229.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	182.8 KB
ID:	906170  
Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM
wellss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah, the memories...

It was 1985, and I was 12. I used to accompany my dad to a vacant parking lot out in the middle of nowhere, where he *taught himself* to fly with one of these. Sure, there were crashes, but it did the job! I distinctly remember one flight where the ailerons were reversed and he managed to land it in one piece. Another where it got too far away to see it and control it properly. It disappeared behind some trees, we both thought it was a goner. Then, all of a sudden, it pops back up above the trees and he again managed to get it back. I think I flew my first few circuits with that plane. Then, we found the local club.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:50 PM
ratshooter

My dad had one of those that my uncle built for him. He trimmed it just like box art. It was a good looking plane. The old EK radio went south and it crashed hard. That broke my dads heart. He loved that plane. He never flew another RC model after that.

I bid on one on ebay about a year ago and got beat. For a similar plane look at the Great Planes Easy Sport. Its a little bigger and it comes as an ARF. I have a kit for the Easy Sport in my attic waiting to be built. Also Sig has the Mid-Star 40 that is also similar to the Freshman. I have read lots of good reveiws about the mid-star.

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig Click on aircraft then sport models. It wouldn't give me a direct link.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:17 AM
Creative RC

I am in the process of converting a Freshman Trainer to electricwhich I built 30 years ago, which saw very little flight time. The flight surfaces are indeed small expecially the ailerons.I will be extending them all to meet normal design convention for RC planes before flying it. If Ifind the plane weight is heavy during flight testing, I will add 6 inces to each wing which. The wing is very strong, so that will not be a problem. At the time I did not know how to fly and It only flew twice on a 30 size engine with assistance of an advancedRC pilot. Begining about 15 years ago I have taught myself to fly with anoriginal Kyosho Soarus electric glider (poor thing suffered a lot of crashes) and later with aHobbico Sky Fly (it isalso suing me for damages). They have been repaired and modified, so they should not complain. Yes, computer software came in handy and now can fly (and land) rather well. Parkzone has done good business withme over the past 8 years. I also have a highly modifiedABXXtreme with a Super Tigre .10 motor and asouped up and modiified PKZ Mustang BL (on an E-fltie Power 10).I have been flying electrics only, enjoy making modifications. The the modified Freshman Trianer will bemy 10th plane in flying condition. Next will be a rare Hangar 9 DVIII just received,. I will be posting photos of the modified electric Freshman Trainer here and at rcgroups and wattflyer once it is completed as there are not likely many around.

Have a great day.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:57 PM
Trisquire

I never had a Freshman Trainer, but I always liked its looks. Basically, its an Ugly Stick with a canopy and a turtle deck.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:48 PM
wellss

You can read RCM review here,

https://www.rcmplans.com/issues/requ...031978-1-1.pdf

They put bigger ailerons on it, and as per most reviews, touted it as the best thing since sliced bread. I just ordered the plans from AMA, TF wanted too much $$$
Apparently, it was designed by Dan Santich. I think he had P-26 on the brain at the time. The cockpit area sure bears a resemblance and the colour scheme on the wings is like the P-26 rudder. He would go on to publish his 1/4 P-26 plans a couple of years later.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:20 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks very similar to a Sig Kavalier to me. The Kavalier is still available as far as I know.
Old 11-30-2022, 06:53 AM
Creative RC

Default Freshman Trainer Vertical Stabilizer Upgrade

Finally modified the vertical stabilizer and rudder to something I like better. Flies very well and ground handling is improved.

In addition to being electric powered with a P25 motor, it has much wider ailerons with two servos programed for flaperons and increased wing area. The turtle deck was not built but instead replaced with a plastic canopy to reduce drag. Battery access hatch on the bottom for 2300 to 3700 4s. Weight ranges between 4.5 to 4.8 lbs depending on which battery.

No longer a trainer, very aerobatic.

Last edited by Creative RC; 11-30-2022 at 06:59 AM.