Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Fabric covering questions

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Fabric covering questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 07:08 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Fabric covering questions

I reviewed your PA30 design, and build thread, it was very informative and interesting; especially the completion and maiden flight part. Anyway I do want to learn more about safe guarding our airplanes from crash damage by means of your excessive usage of glue process as illustrated in this picture, please explain to us all...

http://images.rcuniverse.com/forum/u...49/Vy48022.jpg

And as always, thanks in advance,

Bob
Old 06-16-2013, 07:19 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi everyone,

Is it not wonderful that we have all learned a lot from a specific individual that contributed his knowledge and experience in seven writings posted in this thread.

I particularly learned a lot by reading the last two. What I learned was not of course about covering and finishing but the content of these seven posts is valuable information for all readers.

Most of the readers, I suspect, make their own judgment as to how valuable the seven postings up to now have been to illustrate the topic of the thread initiator.

Personally I could not, obviously, illustrate my work before I invested in a suitable digital camera.
I have many pictures related to the build of the two models shown below. I will be glad to post some in this thread if it may assist someone and if the thread originator gives me permission.

Hoping all readers are enjoying the postings made that have no relation to the topic of this thread. They are really typical from that fellow.

Also enjoy your building which is the element that initiated this hobby.

Zor

P.S.: I will edit to add the pictures. I am presently interrupted.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35859.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1892285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55569.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	1892286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16961.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	1892287  
Old 06-16-2013, 07:41 AM
Mako17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zor

ORIGINAL: Mako17

Would really like to see that myself!!!!
Hello Mako17,

It is nice to see you return to the forum.
After your posting 65 times in 2010 and only once in 2012 and finally your first post in 2013 on 15 of June.

I hope you find some time to browse the two links I posted and look at the many pictures as well as read the texts. If you have any questions, please post them in this thread to keep the conversation all in one place.

Regards from Zor.

Zor your one of the reasons I don't post much, casue you know it ALL! and one member said earlier, but any how here's a few pics of my recent project covered in Koverall and yes DOPE. Its a Sig Hope Bipe.

Name:	Nl28470.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	1892301   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42834.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	1892302  
Old 06-16-2013, 07:48 AM
EJWash1
My Feedback: (3)

So this post is relevant to the thread topic, take a gander at an experienced modeler working with dope and fabric:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+liberti+sport

Happy Father's Day to all. I'll be "interrupted" from building today by going to the lake to cool-down and picnic with my wife.
Cheers.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:31 AM
EJWash1

ORIGINAL: Mako17
your one of the reasons I don't post much...
Amazing. I've read these same words in reference to this individual so, so many times.I would think that would be embarassing to any decent human being, but alas.

Thank you for posting the pics of your Hog. Nice clean craftsmanship. I wish this were an atmosphere where you'd feel at-ease in sharing the rest of your finishing process with us, but I can understand your reason.

We are all here to relax and enjoy this hobby and appreciate and learn from nice craftsmanship. No one is here for the constant hijacking, rudeness, browbeatings, and infestations. I always thought that the job of the Moderators was to keep these type of websites as pleasant as possible. In this case, even thought the Mods admit that this person is one of their most reported pests, they have taken a "he'll go away" position. We can only hope, eh?
Old 06-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Zor
Banned

I did not see any information on covering and finishing in this link posted in #29.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+liberti+sport

Zor
Old 06-16-2013, 09:26 AM
JKinTX

ORIGINAL: EJWash1

Hello All Readers,
Only those with EXPERIENCE with BOTH fabric and "plastic" coverings can give factual reports of the two - agreed? Other than EXPERIENCED postings is blather, speculation, and are "wild untruths" and "visualizing" to the Beginner and the General Reader.
HAR!
First Monokote job Idid was a flop, second one guy at field said model was beauitful- Ithink he was legally blind.
All my stuff is silk and dope or tissue and that is not for the impatient person.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Zor
Banned

Hi,

I have edited post #27 and added three pictures.

Proof as someone posted that I have never built and I only post in these forum.

I have many pictures of these build including structures (frame ... bones ... LOL), covering technique and finishing with dope as I do it.

Note that I post only what I do for the evaluation of the readers. It is always the reader's prerogative to do what he/she wishes.

Zor
Old 06-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: JKinTX

Hello All Readers,
Only those with EXPERIENCE with BOTH fabric and ''plastic'' coverings can give factual reports of the two - agreed? Other than EXPERIENCED postings is blather, speculation, and are ''wild untruths'' and ''visualizing'' to the Beginner and the General Reader.
HAR!
First Monokote job I did was a flop, second one guy at field said model was beauitful- I think he was legally blind.
All my stuff is silk and dope or tissue and that is not for the impatient person.
JKinTX,

I have flown many full size airplanes as a flying instructor for many years.
I have never seen a full size airplane carrying people that was covered with shrinking plastic film.

Once a tear start in plastic, and it is easy to start as we often see in pictures of crashes, it just keeps on going and does not reinforce the model frame. The adhesive on plastic film is very poor to the structure. With light but strong fabric each thread of the fabric has to break in tension to carry on a tear. Using fabric in our models and having each fabric thread cemented to the frame (think genuine aircraft dope) we have the best condition for minimum damages in a crash.

You are using the best technique JKinTX.

Zor
Old 06-16-2013, 10:05 AM
EJWash1

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The cheese has officially left the cracker.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:26 AM
JKinTX

Hello All Readers,
Only those with EXPERIENCE with BOTH fabric and ''plastic'' coverings can give factual reports of the two - agreed? Other than EXPERIENCED postings is blather, speculation, and are ''wild untruths'' and ''visualizing'' to the Beginner and the General Reader.
HAR!
First Monokote job Idid was a flop, second one guy at field said model was beauitful- Ithink he was legally blind.
JKinTX,

I have flown many full size airplanes as a flying instructor for many years.
I have never seen a full size airplane carrying people that was covered with shrinking plastic film.

Once a tear start in plastic, and it is easy to start as we often see in pictures of crashes, it just keeps on going and does not reinforce the model frame. The adhesive on plastic film is very poor to the structure. With light but strong fabric each thread of the fabric has to break in tension to carry on a tear. Using fabric in our models and having each fabric thread cemented to the frame (think genuine aircraft dope) we have the best condition for minimum damages in a crash.

You are using the best technique JKinTX.

Zor
That is always the way I was taught from a little boy on up. The entire structure needs to be doped first and then the covering adheres to that and forms a much stronger overall whole.

Once I blasted a VooDoo straight into the dirt with the Fox singing full bore and the only damage was few cracked ribs in the outboard panel and split silkspan. Hit the concrete nose first with a Jr Ringmaster powered by an Enya .15; same results. Those alone convinced me that a properly done wood/silk/or paper and dope structure is extremely strong.
They don't have many full size man carrying aircraft covered in trash bags do they?
Old 06-16-2013, 10:59 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Great thread learning myself how to do this!
Old 06-16-2013, 11:09 AM
sensei

Hi everyone,

Is it not wonderful that we have all learned a lot from a specific individual that contributed his knowledge and experience in seven writings posted in this thread.

I particularly learned a lot by reading the last two. What I learned was not of course about covering and finishing but the content of these seven posts is valuable information for all readers.

Most of the readers, I suspect, make their own judgment as to how valuable the seven postings up to now have been to illustrate the topic of the thread initiator.

Personally I could not, obviously, illustrate my work before I invested in a suitable digital camera.
I have many pictures related to the build of the two models shown below. I will be glad to post some in this thread if it may assist someone and if the thread originator gives me permission.

Hoping all readers are enjoying the postings made that have no relation to the topic of this thread. They are really typical from that fellow.

Also enjoy your building which is the element that initiated this hobby.

Zor

P.S.: I will edit to add the pictures. I am presently interrupted.
Hello Zor,

This thread is really about covering and paint, So I would like to see a few really close up shots of your fit and finish work using your covering and painting methods.

Thank you Zor,

Bob
Old 06-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: sensei

Hello Zor,

This thread is really about covering and paint, So I would like to see a few really close up shots of your fit and finish work using your covering and painting methods.

Thank you Zor,

Bob
Bob,

I will gladly respond to your request if we can get the permission from the thread originator "oldbassard" to post this information in this thread.

Most of that information is already in the thread titled "Skybolt Hanger and Clubhouse" for which I posted a link in an earlier posting here. I guess you are trying to avoid the time to read through that thread.

let us wait a couple of days to see if this permission is granted.
Note that it takes me more time to satisfy you than it would take you to browse that thread.

Zor

Old 06-16-2013, 12:01 PM
sensei

There is a place in model aviation for both plastic and cloth covering systems, it really depends on what your specific purpose is going to be with your airplane. I have covered several full scale and R/C aircraft with the Stits system, and silk and dope covering system on R/C models for the last 30 + years or so, and countless R/C aircraft in plastic. If you are going for the very lightest IMAC or 3D competition airframe possible then nothing beats plastic covering. For those that wish to have a more scale look, then cloth systems or composites airframes and paint is for you. For the record almost all scale guys covering their airplanes try to get a somewhat gloss finish, and generally settle with a satin sheen; not the other way around. As I already stated, I have covered many aircraft in these systems and the Stits system is by far the easiest way to go followed by silk, dope, and paint and finally the plastic covering system that is by far the most difficult to use if you desire a first class looking finish when complete.

Bob
Old 06-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Hab

Absolutely! This is a great thread! I love it! A lot of great info in this one ... that's fo sure
Old 06-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Hab

[X(] ....
Old 06-16-2013, 12:27 PM
JKinTX

There is a place in model aviation for both plastic and cloth covering systems, it really depends on what your specific purpose is going to be with your airplane. I have covered several full scale and R/C aircraft with Stits, or silk and dope covering system over the last 30 + years, and countless aircraft in plastic. If you are going for the very lightest IMAC or 3D competition airframe possible then nothing beats plastic covering. For those that wish to have a more scale look, then cloth systems or composites airframes and paint is for you. For the record almost all scale guys covering their airplanes try to get a somewhat gloss finish, and generally settle with a satin sheen; not the other way around. As I already stated, I have covered many aircraft in these systems and the Stits system is by far the easiest way to go followed by silk, dope, and paint and finally the plastic covering system that is by far the most difficult to use if you desire a first class looking finish when complete.

Bob
Also depends on how long you want the airframe to last. Bare wood with a film covering won't last long in a hot, humid climate especially running an engine.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:47 PM
sensei

There is a place in model aviation for both plastic and cloth covering systems, it really depends on what your specific purpose is going to be with your airplane. I have covered several full scale and R/C aircraft with Stits, or silk and dope covering system over the last 30 + years, and countless aircraft in plastic. If you are going for the very lightest IMAC or 3D competition airframe possible then nothing beats plastic covering. For those that wish to have a more scale look, then cloth systems or composites airframes and paint is for you. For the record almost all scale guys covering their airplanes try to get a somewhat gloss finish, and generally settle with a satin sheen; not the other way around. As I already stated, I have covered many aircraft in these systems and the Stits system is by far the easiest way to go followed by silk, dope, and paint and finally the plastic covering system that is by far the most difficult to use if you desire a first class looking finish when complete.

Bob
Also depends on how long you want the airframe to last. Bare wood with a film covering won't last long in a hot, humid climate especially running an engine.
True, but as I said; it really depends on what you are wanting to do with the airplane, If I am going to build vintage aircraft, warbird aircraft racing aircraft or most civilian aircraft then you can bet I will build as light as possible and go with a scale finish... Now for IMAC and, or 3D I am going to build as light as I can possibly go and cover with a Monokote finish, even when I finish an airplane in Monokote I always seal the motor box with Stits covering system for longevity. This is just one of my built up airplanes using Monokote covering and Stits covering system under the cowling. The airplane was built in late 2006 and completed in early 2007 and still flying today with maybe 2000+ hard flights on it.

Bob

Name:	Zx72641.jpg
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	1892354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64571.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1892355  
Old 06-16-2013, 03:48 PM
fred985

this thread is the most amazing thing i have everread here . it has told me absolutly nothing about covering a model aircraft. nor has it enlightened me as to anything that just may help me improve my work. my freekin planes still de=kit just as well covered with mono=coat or silk or ceconite. the dope dont do crap when the airframe splatters its self into another dark world left to be striped of its gear etc before going up in a blaze of glory in my burning barrel. heck,,i alreadey know everything i need to know about covering my models seeing as i covered my stearman ,,my cub and my uncles fleet many years ago so i dont really know why i opened this thread in the first place ??? i havent been disapointed at all. i have learned nothing and i surley dont intend to add anything to a discushion about nothing except to show that there are lots of idiots and morons all over the world. not justin the several rc clubs i have belonged to and never intend to return to. ill just continure to fly and crash using my 145 acres in isolated happiness. the ony thing funny about it all is that i fell sound asleep reading this grat informative thread right to the end and then had to restart my comp because i guess it couldt stand it and shut itself down while i was ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ-N..............wow
Old 06-16-2013, 04:08 PM
sensei

LOL, Thank you so much for your own contribution to this thread...

Bob
Old 06-16-2013, 04:57 PM
fred985

we can all contribute somthing even if it is nothing. why go thru life giving nothing when nothing dosent cost anything?
Old 06-16-2013, 05:31 PM
sensei

ORIGINAL: fred985

we can all contribute somthing even if it is nothing. why go thru life giving nothing when nothing dosent cost anything?
This sound a little like reading a fortune cookie, but that is all good. So as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, with that said, do you have anything of your own you would like to show us on the subject matter at hand because I for one love seeing those that posts handy work.

Bob
Old 06-16-2013, 05:42 PM
straitnickel

You got to be pretty ruff with it to put a hole in koverall
Old 06-16-2013, 06:18 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tough crowd in here.... Play nice!
I like dark and expensive beer and Solartex covering.

Solartex adheres well and really takes to compound curves. Check out the wingtips The seam is on the opposite side as that being covered.

Given enough patients you could probably cover a tennis ball with the stuff.

That being said I am always one to try new things... to learn. So I may try Stits on my current project, a Nieuport 28, using their system.

I will order the Stits manual and do a little research before I make that decision.
SunDevilPilot

Name:	Tr50426.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1892468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46233.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1892469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66234.jpg
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	1892470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23998.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	1892471  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.