Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

After one and half years in 'the hobby'....

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

After one and half years in 'the hobby'....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 11:21 AM
JohnP2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After one and half years in 'the hobby'....

After one and half years in "the hobby", I have learned:

1. It's important to research before buying aftermarket parts. They don't always fit.
2. My Savage X 4.6 is fast enough.
3. A proper link setup is imperative.
4. I used to cringe when my 12 year old son drove my vehicles for fear of him crashing - now it it reversed.
5. The Losi 810 is still my favorite vehicle. Not saying it is a world-class race buggy, but it's incredibly fun!
6. Starting an engine on a bump box is by far the easiest method of starting an engine.
7. I used to be on the fence about rx battery packs.Now I realize that is the way to go!
8. Shock pistons seem to have a larger effect than oil viscosity.
9. I still have no interest in electrics, although I did recently get my son's old MegaTech MegaPro running again. Driving backward is fun. ;-)
10. Yes, this is still an expensive hobby...and worth every penny!

Old 06-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Dads like rc too

Default RE: After one and half years in 'the hobby'....

Very good points. I especially agree with number 2. You can spot a newbie from a mile away when you hear them whining about only wanting to buy a rc that goes at least 50 mph. People just don't realize how fast and fun a good solid buggy or truck that runs mid 40's is. It's really all most people will ever need. Top speed is impressive running up and down the road a few times, but it rarely comes into play at the park or track.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Sixtysixdeuce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. It's important to research before buying aftermarket parts. They don't always fit.
From some manufacturers, yes, this is true.

2. My Savage X 4.6 is fast enough.
No it isn't!

6. Starting an engine on a bump box is by far the easiest method of starting an engine.
Along with rotostarts, yes. I still prefer PS, though; one less thing to carry or worry about batteries in.

8. Shock pistons seem to have a larger effect than oil viscosity.
Yes & no. Depends on the combination.

10. Yes, this is still an expensive hobby...and worth every penny!
Yup!
Old 06-17-2013, 03:26 AM
adam911

you mentioned nice points. I agree with some of your points,: especially with no one It's important to research before buying aftermarket parts. They don't always fit. I also have the same experience like this and now I avoid buying from un-famous brands

Old 06-17-2013, 06:50 AM
supertib

A whole pile of good points, but more then any else I agree with #6 the most !!!!!!!!!! Starter box is by far the best way to start a nitro engine...
Old 06-17-2013, 06:51 AM
Car-Tune

It took me 5 years to learn some of this