Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

How to avoid purchasing a fake DLE Engines

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

How to avoid purchasing a fake DLE Engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:28 AM
xcz5785
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How to avoid purchasing a fake DLE Engines

+1
A couple of guys in my club got burned by Mentor. These were handmade quality engines from Italy. They had minor issues that got resolved. When they were overwhelmed by returns they shut the company down and opened in a different name. Now those guys have paperweights. Point being its a crap shoot with any engine. It starts with history of reliability, that is why I was encouraged to get DLE when I first got into gas. What is everyone else using. Then It comes down to customer service.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: erik valdez

All of my motors have red anodized bolts, what gives???
I'll tell you what gives, ... You get the distinction of being one of the most "reamed" consumers on the board! . hehehe
Old 06-18-2013, 10:32 AM
MTK

ORIGINAL: JEanes

Pamela Andersen's b@@bs were cloned after my wife's.....but nobody ever complained about it ! I say as long as they do the job and give you a good feeling....use 'em !
To paraphrase an old saying "Ill have what he is having"
Old 06-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: willig10

I'm laughing at all of you who are worried that you may have bought a counterfeit DLE engine. Bottom line is this. Does your engine run? Does it run well? Does it really matter what name is on the case as long as it is performing?

I think not. Everyone knew when DLE came out that it was a copy. And the 1st version had issues at certain angles on the ground but couldnt be duplicated in the air. That issue has been resolved and the engine is now proven and is reliable, doesnt matter if it is the 20, 30, 55 or the twin.

Quit worrying about your copy of a copy and just go fly.

Well that's my 2 cents. Hell the engine is so cheap in dollars anyway if it breaks just go buy another one. You can find em all day long used and new.

Regards
Glenn Williams
I pretty much agree with this post. What is more important, the brand name on the engine, whether it is a clone or copy, OR if the engine runs well. I'm much more concerned that the engine runs well regardless of the brand name.

If money was no object, I'd rather have a DA than a DLE for the same reason as I would rather have a Rolex watch than a Timex. But I would rather have a good running DLE than a trouble prone DA. Unfortunately for me, money is a major factor since I live on a limited retirement income. The best I hope for is a well running inexpensive engine and so far I've been pretty lucky in that respect. I own DLE, Mintor, Zenoah, and VVRC engines and none of them have required any warranty work ( keeping my fingers crossed on the Mintor ).

My DLE's have come from Valleyview RC and Tower so I presume they are not counterfeit but even if they are it doesn't matter as long as they run well.
Old 06-18-2013, 04:43 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

DL/DLE has been more or less copied since its beginning.

MT engines are the subject company in the original post.. MT even copied the Zenoah G-62. They did a pretty good job of it too.

Thanks, that's what I've been wondering from the beginning?

Not much of a fan regarding cloning, but if somebody can do it while bringing something else to the table? Bring it on! Cloning just to clone doesn't make much sense... So where the heck are the smaller (10-20cc) rear exhaust engines?
Old 06-18-2013, 06:27 PM
tfarmer96

DLE crying about being knocked off. What goes around comes around!

Just go with the DA and know you have what you paid for.

How ever I have to give them credit for warning the Customer.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:00 AM
n8622t
My Feedback: (8)

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I buy and use Desert Aircraft Engines because they are a US product and the best damn engine on the planet Barr none...... Everything else is inferior
Old 06-19-2013, 07:00 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I never seen so many people have so much trouble with one brand of engine as they did with the DA-50's and 100's at my flying field up until a couple years ago. Someone always had one sent back to DA.

About the time the DA-60 came out all the DA problems stopped.

Although there are some DLE's at the field, DA is the dominant brand by a wide margin.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:32 AM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

The best and easiest way to prevent from buying a fake DLE engine is to buy another brand, Problem solved
Old 06-19-2013, 05:24 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

Since DLE is being said to be a knock off DA.

Some of the people said that XYZ 20cc from Valley View RC is also a knock off of DLE-20? I believe ValleyView RC has a pretty good reputation and their motors can't be labelled as DLE's knock offs

Mody

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47666.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1893317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79647.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1893318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66410.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1893319  
Old 06-19-2013, 10:19 PM
bcchi

ORIGINAL: armody

Since DLE is being said to be a knock off DA.

Some of the people said that XYZ 20cc from Valley View RC is also a knock off of DLE-20? I believe ValleyView RC has a pretty good reputation and their motors can't be labelled as DLE's knock offs

Mody

The VV 20 is not a DLE knock off.Parts will not interchange.The VV is a very ice lttle engine,smoother then DLE Has a gen Walbro carb and CM6 spark plug a NGK.Also a ign with good timing program. I have many flghts on a VV 20 and cannot fault it in any way. I also have DLE20.30s,35RA
50&55&55RA.all are working good.I build my Ignitions.
BCCHI.You can not how little I really care.
The more I am around people the better I like my dog-&cat.
AMA 2500
Old 06-20-2013, 03:08 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Pamela Andersen's b@@bs were cloned after my wife's.....but nobody ever complained about it ! I say as long as they do the job and give you a good feeling....use 'em !
what you're saying is silicone is NOT one of a kind job ?!
Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a note..... China's factories are faltering again, pointing to slowing growth in the world's second-biggest economy and raising pressure on the country's central bank to relax policy even as it tries to contain an explosion of credit.HSBC said its "flash" index of Chinese manufacturing purchasing managers' sentiment fell to a nine-month low of 48.3 in June, as new export orders dropped sharply and production contracted for the first time in eight months.The reading was much weaker than analysts were expecting and reinforces concern that second quarter growth in China will slow from the 7.7% rate seen in the first three months of the year.Some economists believe the rate of growth may even dip below 7% in the second half of the year well below China's official 2013 target of 7.5% given the new government's emphasis on reform rather than short-term stimulus to support the economy.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:05 PM
armody
My Feedback: (10)

bcchi,

I agree with you. I don't think that XYZ 20 motors are in anyway knock offs of DLE20

Mody
Old 06-28-2013, 08:13 AM
captinjohn

The more I read about all the problems with a lot of all these engines of various brands, I think it would be better to get a good conversion RC engine from one of the guys that know this stuff in the first place. They know by experience what goes wrong & rebuild/convert them to be more trouble free..........
Old 06-29-2013, 04:35 AM
captinjohn

oooops@!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 AM
dmoody19
My Feedback: (24)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Happy 4TH for those in the USA!
I find the photos on the first page interesting. My DLE 30 carb does not say WALBRO anywhere on it lol. it says DLE :-) I find it interesting the clones don't like the clones.  I wonder if there is a split in the company and one partner decided to go out and make the same engine in another location???  Then again advertising is advertising and good or bad guys and gals are now looking at DLE and uh... DLE??? lol Are those pictures even correct? MAybe the ignition module was changed out when the guy with the pictures had his original die? Maybe he's just having fun with everyone and there is no issue in the first place???

I agree that if it runs well and I can afford it then sadly in my life that is what I have to fly or don't fly at all. I do not buy the DA guys claiming they have the only real 2 stroke since all 2 strokes come from an original... uhmmm ... 2 stroke... lol
Buying USA only is something I try to do but at times China and yes (Hong Kong is part of China just leased for a while by others)..... is where I have to go. If DA ever comes down out of the clouds with their major markups I will only own them but when you do the math and have to pay what... 600 percent markups or something like that??? It doesn't cost any more to temper metal here compared to anywhere else or at lest only pennies more..... and a 2 cycle mold and steel in these little guys cost what 25 dollars for all of it? DLE and others are just here to stay... another DLE? Is it less expensive or sub standard or is there just a shakeup in DLE with cheap parts at times??? Maybe they  are making these themselves and found they screwed up and don't want to take the blame when things go wrong? Maybe they have no issues at all? Maybe they made changes and the other engines are now bullet proof and to stay in business they want you to think they are bad so you don't buy them???
I know guys I am just rambling...

My excuse is morphine :-) What's theirs????
Old 07-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Indiomike
My Feedback: (5)

What exactly is a "copy" or a "clone"? Is there a difference between a copy versus a clone?

In order for brand XXX to be a copy or clone of brand YYY, would all the parts have to be interchangeable?

I think it is sort of a general perception that a copy or a clone is somewhat or somehow inferior to the copied or cloned engine. That may not be true if the copy/clone engine has higher quality parts than the original.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:41 PM
dmoody19

Hey guys, have any of you noticed the name of the original post? DLEngines (missing an E?) and the link goes to a site that shows the same. Missing the E for engines? Yet if you go to DLE's website it is DLE-Engines.com?  Something smells here? Or am I wrong and both are the same place?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:49 PM
dmoody19

I also find it interesting that they will close that site down AUG 17? That's weird... I also find it suspect that DLEngine has not responded to a single post and  they should have should this actually be true???
Old 07-03-2013, 03:16 PM
closetguy
My Feedback: (13)

so can tell me where I can buy a fake DLE.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:29 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah the original post does look pretty suspicious.
The offical DLE Engines website is here http://www.dle-engines.com/
They do not mention copies or clones out there.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:30 PM
dmoody19

thank you I though the same thing when I looked DLE up.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:23 PM
Ernie Misner

High temp silicone is required.

ORIGINAL: vasek

what you're saying is silicone is NOT one of a kind job ?!

Old 07-03-2013, 11:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Yeah the original post does look pretty suspicious.
The offical DLE Engines website is here http://www.dle-engines.com/
They do not mention copies or clones out there.

Earl that is the official USA based DLE website, not the manufacturers website at all, click on support/service tab, it has an illinois address.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.