Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Our first plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Our first plane

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 04:53 PM
ssautter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Our first plane

I've witnessed many people, learning-to-fly on the HobbyZone Super Cub, so I will not bash the Cub as a decent trainer.
Some pilots actually prefer tail-draggers, for learning, and others have never flown a tail-dragger in their entire careers.

HobbyKing has another well-known trainer, that many people have had success with, called the BixlerPowered-glider.
The USA Warehouse stocks enough parts and kits to keep you going, but you may need to special order from the International Warehouse, if you break something.

Search the RCU and RCG forums for the pros and cons of learning-to-fly with 3 versus 4-channels.
Thoseissues have been discussed here, before, and at great lengths.
Also, nitro versus electric has been discussed, around-and-around in circles, and beaten into the ground....don't waste your time.
Get the beginner-plane that appeals most to you.

The only red flag, that I'd suggest you be aware of, is that some distributors, including Horizon Hobby and Hobbico, advertise their planes as "trainers", and that can be misleading.
A trueprimary trainer is not a good way to teach-yourself-to-fly. If you do decide to start with "full-house" 4-channel control ,and conventional landing gear, then a flight instructor is neccessary.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Hawk131

A hobby zone super cub, apprentice, Lt 40 are great trainers. A j3 cub is tough on the ground.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:01 PM
straitnickel

I had a cub, but it didnt give me trouble on the ground,
seems that wings with a high dihedral are way more sensative on the rudder.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:27 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your not a beginner are you. I have flown the H9 1/4 scale J3 Cub and it has very little dihedral.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Hawk131

My Goldberg .40 size cub is tough on the ground, it was a nightmare before I had scale gear on it. It had plastic universal gear on it and sucked.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:36 PM
RC Terry
My Feedback: (2)

For the most part, I am building my first ARF Trainer, now. I chose the Sig Kadet Sr., after a lot of research. I bought it from Tower Hobbies. Definately take a look at it.

Terry
Old 06-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Wemic

You guys are a wealth of information.  Love the passion.  We were going to check out a club this past Sunday as I had exchanged some emails with the club president but the rain washed out our trip to the field.  Going to give it a go this week.  They've been around a long time are AMA sanctioned and have several instructors.  Looking forward to it.  I'm going to do more research and check out your suggestions.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:39 PM
daddyrabbit1234
My Feedback: (14)

Hi Wemic, I know exactly where your coming from at this stage of the game just getting started. I was standing in your shoes a few months ago and since then I have learned to fly. I listened to the guys here and took theyre advise to find a club with an instructor. I did so and the first day of training I was buddy box trained by 3 different instructors. first was a small foam cub with rudder and elevator only. second was an avistar 4 channel. By the end of the day I was flying full controls with the third instructor with an Ultra Stick 120 powered by a DLE 30 gas motor. 

I would seriously consider visiting a club and do some buddy box flying before buying a plane. It's always surprising to see what plane you end up with after you learn to fly. I bought a 52 inch Cessna 182 with tricycle landing gear "before" I learned to fly and now that I can fly I would never recommend that plane to someone learning to fly just for the fact of them being tipsy requiring a lot of rudder sometimes when taking off not to mention theyre horrible in grass because the props are so close to the ground.

For what it's worth I've found that the larger planes with a 4 to 6 foot wing span were much easier for me to learn to fly with. I cant really explain it but the power to weight ratio just never felt right to me on the smaller park flyers as they buzzed around like a mad hornet while the larger scale planes just seemed to settle right in for me especially when there was a little wind to deal with.

Heres the order I learned in.

(1) Joined this forum - Free

(2) Joined the AMA - $58.00

(3) Found an instructor - Free

(4) Buddy boxed with instructor - Free

(5) Joined club of said instructor - $100

(6) Fly planes and grill hamburgers every Saturday - Priceless

Old 06-19-2013, 04:55 PM
ssautter

Check the AMA's Introductory Pilot Program: http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...pilotdesc.aspx

It's a good way to get yer feet wet, before diving in, head first....
Old 06-20-2013, 05:39 PM
thebest_102
My Feedback: (6)

I would repeat my previous suggestion to visit the club ask what trainers they perfer. My club offers introductory flights. Not all clubs do. An itro flight is good in that its like trying on clothes. You get to see if you like flying or not. It also gets you the feel of the instructors. It is a good idea to have compatability with the instructor. When I learned I almost quit due to one instructor. Upon reflection he wasn't a bad instructor but we just didn't mesh well. I found other instructors and learned. I would also suggest that after a few flights switch instructors a bit to get a differing perspective. This could be beneficial if you reach a sticking point. Just a few random thoughts.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:07 PM
kcarson

Hey Wemic! I wish you success and a bunch of fun! I would go with what others have said concerning a computer simulator - one of the best investments ever! I STILL use mine when I want to try something new. The Sensei electric was the plane I started on - foam is a bit easier to repair than balsa (I went through quit a few sticks of hot glue). And yes, by all means, get with an instructor and a buddy box - you cannot go wrong here!

Now is the time to fly! Good luck!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Wemic

Hi guys!
We decided to go with the Hobbico Nexstar 46 ARF. It's due to be delivered tomorrow but I'm not going to be able to get started on it before Saturday. I'll be like a kid in a candy store until then. We're going to drop by the field on Sunday to meet up with the club president.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Hawk131

Nice choice, what are you going to go with for engine? I would get a OS 46AXII awesome power plant and tons of power, after you get done on the nexstar I would recommend putting that on the GP Big Stick .40 it can be a great advanced high wing trainer to a great sport/aerobatic plane on high rates.
Old 07-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Wemic

We went with an Evolution 46NX. Funny thing, this evening I realized that I forgot to order a couple of props. D'oh!

ORIGINAL: Hawk131

Nice choice, what are you going to go with for engine? I would get a OS 46AXII awesome power plant and tons of power, after you get done on the nexstar I would recommend putting that on the GP Big Stick .40 it can be a great advanced high wing trainer to a great sport/aerobatic plane on high rates.