Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

ESM-DC-3

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 06:25 PM
jddickers
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ESM-DC-3

Hello all. I have switched from building ESM Warbirds to a ESM DC-3. I welcome any feed back from anyone else building one. I plan on using a pair of DLE 20cc gas motors. I just completed the tail section after installing all the windows. I was going to install the mid wing section and ran into a major problem. The wing saddle was way off. i had no other option except to rework the wing saddle. I bought the plane here on RCU so I could not return to a dealer. Will have to do a little fiberglass work to reform the saddle after all the sanding I had to do to make the center section fit. Would like to know if any one has had this problem. Will start fitting the retracts and engines soon.
More to come
JD
Old 05-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Junior55
My Feedback: (9)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ESM-DC-3

sorry to hear.but the was they stop making them. they had many of those back order.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:50 AM
UK Warbird Guy

I've build a couple of these now and never had a prob with the wing saddle... Can you post some pics of your problem?...

Tried to load some pics of my finished model but I can't get them to view on here...
They are shown on another forum here if you want to have a look... My ID on there is Warbirdman

http://www.ytinternational.co.uk/for...t=403&start=10
Old 05-13-2013, 01:39 PM
jddickers

Warbird guy, Will post pic. soon. I had to sand from about half way back from the front to the rear of the saddle to get the mid section to sit flush with the back of the saddle. Before I started when I sat the wing in the saddle the trailing edge of the center wing section was up all most a 1/4 of a inch. i have it now sitting flush but will have to remold the wing saddle. I have built about 12 ESM planes and have never had this trouble. I sent Troy Built a E-mail but got no response from them. Thought since I have spent so much money with them buying planes and parts I might get some help but guess not. Right now have put it up for the summer. Might work on it this winter don't know if I will finish or not.
JD
Old 06-17-2013, 09:11 PM
edge540purple

Hi, I just received my ESM Dc3. The wing fits like a glove, the fuse is a little wavey but i'm not fussed about it still look fantastic... Will be fitting two RCGF 20cc beam mount engines...
Old 06-18-2013, 02:31 PM
jddickers

edge540purple
Glad to here your DC-3 is OK I haven't done anymore to mine. I have really lost interest in this project at this time I may never finish it. It might just hang in the shop.
JD
Old 01-16-2014, 06:08 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Originally Posted by jddickers
edge540purple
Glad to here your DC-3 is OK I haven't done anymore to mine. I have really lost interest in this project at this time I may never finish it. It might just hang in the shop.
JD
Do you want to sell the retracts?
Old 01-17-2014, 01:44 AM
edge540purple

I don't have retracts only the standard landing gear which is not really that good...
Old 01-17-2014, 07:34 AM
airega1

Originally Posted by edge540purple
I don't have retracts only the standard landing gear which is not really that good...
OK thanks
Old 01-17-2014, 07:43 AM
airega1

Originally Posted by UK Warbird Guy
I've build a couple of these now and never had a prob with the wing saddle... Can you post some pics of your problem?...

Tried to load some pics of my finished model but I can't get them to view on here...
They are shown on another forum here if you want to have a look... My ID on there is Warbirdman

http://www.ytinternational.co.uk/for...t=403&start=10
Hey UK, did you build the DC-3 with a one piece wing?
Old 03-20-2014, 09:44 AM
yankphan

Hello, is this thread still alive ??
I built the dc3 and man what a scary maiden and second flight and third !!! it oulls Left right away.... I have my left engine at 0* and right at 4* right...both 3* down...... the manual says to make the left 3* LEFT !! Does this make sense...maybe it does ?? can anyone explain please...... I cannot takeoff without being scared...I can only get lucky so many times... it flies perfect...and lands easy. please help ....

You can contact me at [email protected]
Old 03-20-2014, 02:05 PM
airega1

Originally Posted by yankphan
Hello, is this thread still alive ??
I built the dc3 and man what a scary maiden and second flight and third !!! it oulls Left right away.... I have my left engine at 0* and right at 4* right...both 3* down...... the manual says to make the left 3* LEFT !! Does this make sense...maybe it does ?? can anyone explain please...... I cannot takeoff without being scared...I can only get lucky so many times... it flies perfect...and lands easy. please help ....

You can contact me at [email protected]
Both engines should be 0 thrust, if any thrust at all they should be both the same and both outward, so right on the right engine and left on the left . Where in the instructions did it give you those angles?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:12 PM
yankphan

Step 19 if you have the manual.
It says left 3 degrees out, right 4 degrees out and both 3 degrees down.
I don't understand the left side? Wouldn't it want to make the plane turn left even worse ?
Please explain it to me if you can.... I really want to be able to fly this with confidence. Do you recommend doing the left engine as well ? I did the right side already.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:22 PM
yankphan

Trying to insert a pic from manual...
Old 03-20-2014, 02:26 PM
yankphan

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1095
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	1979926  
Old 03-20-2014, 02:28 PM
yankphan

Please look at the pic... Today I installed the spacers on the left engine. As of now it is as the manual says.... I still need to fly it. Do you think it should help ?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:59 PM
edge540purple

yankphan,

Mine does the same pulls hard to the left on throttle up, seven flights and seven lucky take off's. My engines are set as per the instructions and can't work it out. I'm in the process of fitting the retracts so its not flying at the moment, i blamed the standard landing dear which saged on every take off.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:11 PM
yankphan

Not your landing gear... I have the retracts. I don't get it... Some YouTube videos they take off perfect.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:25 PM
airega1

Step 19 if you have the manual.
It says left 3 degrees out, right 4 degrees out and both 3 degrees down.
I don't understand the left side? Wouldn't it want to make the plane turn left even worse ?
Please explain it to me if you can.... I really want to be able to fly this with confidence. Do you recommend doing the left engine as well ? I did the right side already.
Hey Yankphan I haven't reached that step yet so this is all new to me. Why don't we view top flites DC-3 and Ziroli's DC-3 and see what they use
Old 03-20-2014, 07:44 PM
airega1

Originally Posted by airega1
Hey Yankphan I haven't reached that step yet so this is all new to me. Why don't we view top flites DC-3 and Ziroli's DC-3 and see what they use
Yank, I don't think the angles are your problem with the wing dropping, are you getting enough roll out speed?, are you maybe slighly tail heavy?

Hey yankphan, it seems Ziroli's rule of thumb for taildragger twins is, 0 degrees on the left engine and 3 degrees right on the right engine, no down, and avoid lowspeed take offs

Looking at Top Flites DC-3 manual, they call for 4 degrees outward thrust on both engines, no down
I'm a bit confused now, please let me know if you hear anything positive.

I do know this, I had the 83" KMP B-25 no thrust angles at all and it flew phenominal, wasn't sure if the firewalls had built in angles.

Last edited by airega1; 03-20-2014 at 08:31 PM. Reason: add
Old 03-20-2014, 08:18 PM
yankphan

Hey yankphan, it seems Ziroli's rule of thumb for taildragger twins is, 0 degrees on the left engine and 3 degrees right on the right engine, no down, and avoid lowspeed take offs

Looking at Top Flites DC-3 manual, they call for 4 degrees outward thrust on both engines, no down
I'm a bit confused now, please let me know if you hear anything positive

I THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!
hopefully (wishful thinking).

Tell me if this makes sense, your thoughts please....

ok, so I didn't like the tailwheel setup when I put the kit together so I ended up putting the tailwheel on its own servo. Problem I think is ... I used that sullivan flex rod(yellow..which is soft..all I had at the time)
i cannot even taxi the plane, the tailwheel is not effective because the rod flexes too easy. I always said I'll get to it and change it out with stiff 4-40 rod but wanted to take care of this takeoff problem first....but I think the tailwheel IS the problem! Let me explain

because I cannot taxi I ALWAYS end up giving more throttle than I should at takeoff to lift the tail and hoping to control with rudder... Problem is, just like airega1 says(no slow takeoffs!)..I think because I don't have enough ground speed it lifts and IMMEDIATLEY will roll. I believe if I had a working tailwheel I can ease throttle up because id be able to control on the ground while gaining speed .

what are your thoughts ?
Old 03-20-2014, 08:35 PM
airega1

I THINK I FOUND THE PROBLEM!!
hopefully (wishful thinking).

Tell me if this makes sense, your thoughts please....

ok, so I didn't like the tailwheel setup when I put the kit together so I ended up putting the tailwheel on its own servo. Problem I think is ... I used that sullivan flex rod(yellow..which is soft..all I had at the time)
i cannot even taxi the plane, the tailwheel is not effective because the rod flexes too easy. I always said I'll get to it and change it out with stiff 4-40 rod but wanted to take care of this takeoff problem first....but I think the tailwheel IS the problem! Let me explain

because I cannot taxi I ALWAYS end up giving more throttle than I should at takeoff to lift the tail and hoping to control with rudder... Problem is, just like airega1 says(no slow takeoffs!)..I think because I don't have enough ground speed it lifts and IMMEDIATLEY will roll. I believe if I had a working tailwheel I can ease throttle up because id be able to control on the ground while gaining speed .

what are your thoughts ?
My thought are, that very well could be the problem, can you stick a length of 2-56 rod in the tube that's flexing?
I have a giant scale P-47 that always wants to nose over on roll out, so I try to add a lot of up ele. and throttle up quick only to torque roll on take off, it sounds like you are doing the same, so fox the tailwheel :-)

Last edited by airega1; 03-20-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:08 PM
yankphan

My thought are, that very well could be the problem, can you stick a length of 2-56 rod in the tube that's flexing?
I have a giant scale P-47 that always wants to nose over on roll out, so I try to add a lot of up ele. and throttle up quick only to torque roll on take off, it sounds like you are doing the same, so fox the tailwheel :-)

It has to be the problem... It just makes sense. I can't get the ground speed because I can't steer it! I'm going to take out the flex rod and put in a heavy duty 4-40 rod. I will keep you updated and post a video. What a beautiful looking plane ...especially with the smoke system!!
it has twin dle20's. Which p47 do you have ? I have the topflite 85" with a da50
check my plane out I think you will enjoy it...

http://youtu.be/3SLcBNBg2IY
Old 03-21-2014, 06:14 AM
airega1

It has to be the problem... It just makes sense. I can't get the ground speed because I can't steer it! I'm going to take out the flex rod and put in a heavy duty 4-40 rod. I will keep you updated and post a video. What a beautiful looking plane ...especially with the smoke system!!
it has twin dle20's. Which p47 do you have ? I have the topflite 85" with a da50
check my plane out I think you will enjoy it...

http://youtu.be/3SLcBNBg2IY
Hey man, that girl is hauling with a DA50, I also have the 85" TF 47 with a G-62, I fixed the nose over tendency by shimming washers under the rear of the gear so the wheels canter forward a bit

Last edited by airega1; 03-21-2014 at 06:15 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-21-2014, 10:36 AM
yankphan

Hey man, that girl is hauling with a DA50, I also have the 85" TF 47 with a G-62, I fixed the nose over tendency by shimming washers under the rear of the gear so the wheels canter forward a bit
Good idea on the shims... I come in with half flaps and she floats in do slow....very easy to land, almost as easy as my DC3 !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.