Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:00 PM
umitv
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite B-25 ARF (Tecnical, tips, suggestions)

used same fuel tanks. Yes there is not enought space between carb and tank. It was hard job to install fuel tubes.
ORIGINAL: chris923

ORIGINAL: umitv

Thanks for the Pics! Did you use smaller tanks? The clearance between tank and carb can't be much.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:07 PM
umitv

Dave
don't worry about weight anymore twin dle 20's would hover this bird. But I had to go with one kill switch because only have 8 channel radio. If I have to, I'd like to kill both engine right a way. I hope never get any ignition battery problem. My setup is just simple, cleaner, less cables, less switches .....
ORIGINAL: djstar39

Umitv,

Was just contemplating your ignition batter setup and had in my mind that I would have a separate switch and battery for each. But with your way, you save the weight of one battery and switch and if you have a battery or switch failure, both engines would die together. Hmmm, that's an interesting thought. But then Speed flew with one dead engine and landed just fine a couple of times if I remember correctly.

Dave
Old 05-31-2013, 12:22 PM
djstar39
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks, gonna get started this weekend on the conversion. Placed an order with Tower yesterday with basic shipping and received it today for the mounts, etc. I love that we're just one state away from Tower and Horizon. Super fast shipping!

I hear you with the 8 channel... I've had the 9503 and 9303 and actually used both because I have brakes, a rotating top turret, landing lights, bomb bay and bomb drop that all are controlled by the transmitters. I do the flying and my buddy drops the bombs, turns on the landing lights, etc.

Last year I picked up a DX18 so I'm going to get to one transmitter and receiver while I'm converting to gas.

Dave
Old 06-12-2013, 08:26 AM
ton2di
My Feedback: (182)

Hello,

Finally had the chance to maiden mine today (3 flights) before the wind picked up. It's powered by 2 OS 91 FSII swinging MA 13x8 3 blade props. Flies very well and lands pretty good. I will try to attach some pics and videos (pardon the video quality- forgot the I phone and this is an older kodak camera). The 2 OS 91FSII provides ample power. Just had to pull up at the end of the runway to be sure that it would not stall during take off. I also left out the front gun for now because of vehicle limitation. Videos below the next post.

Ton2di

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66892.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	1891208  
Old 06-16-2013, 08:50 AM
ton2di

Ok. Here are some better videos by Mark J earlier at Free State Aeromodelers in Laurel,MD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Gyh...ature=youtu.be - landing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezUGVXfpTdE- fly by
Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 PM
Fidelity101
My Feedback: (13)

Does anyone know of a good fuel proof paint for the two different colors on the B-25? I picked up Model Master Olive Drab (FS34087) and it's way to green. I need to touch up a few spots.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:58 PM
ton2di

Ok. I finally know how it feels like to loose engine power at our plane event today. The plane has a total of around 17 flights before this happened. The right engine suddenly lost power and the right wing dropped immediately. It was only the second flight of the B-25 for the day. Good thing I was able to recognize which engine had quit so I was able to apply lots of left rudder. I announced an emergency landing and a heli that just landed had to take off again (good thing he had a good spotter) because I was going for the runway regardless of what's standing there.

My wife happened to snap a short video of it. Will try to post it later. I am glad that the b-25 will fly again another day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY1lJdPiQBY - Emergency landing (pardon the foreign language comment).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea_dRvzqae8 - First flight of the day - 1st 4min of the clip, the last 4 min are of my TF P-40 1/5 scale.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm selling mine, as I don't fly it very much and need the space.

She's in good shape, powered by a pair of 55AX's. Fixed gear. Only thing wrong is the nose MG is busted off. I have an add posted with RCU.

If you have a Futaba FAAST Transmitter, I'll leave the Rxs in it and it's ready to bind and go. Same price, $900.

Name:	He97037.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	1894842  
Old 06-24-2013, 06:15 PM
ton2di

That's a great price Bob for an already assembled B-25.

So, because of the dead stick engine that I had the other day, I decided to experiment with an engine at idle while in flight. I have a mix in my radio that would bring either engine in idle while I control the other engine's throttle. One thing I found out (contrary to our first instinct of throttling down when an engine quits), it that the plane has more control when you apply more power to the engine that is still running and providing rudder input. When we reduce power to the remaining engine that is running, it would just slow the plane drastically and thus making it prone to tip stalls.

I experimented with idling either engine and flying the plane with one engine at full power. The overall speed was decent, but I can feel that it really pulls the wing with the idling engine back so you really need to counter it with lots or rudder. I hope we can all try to practice and be prepared when this happens so when the time comes, we would not panic and loose our plane.

Any input and experience from other flyers who lost an engine already?
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Mustang Fever

Never had the experience, as the twin 55s have just been spot on reliable. However, had I decided to keep the bird, I was going to get one of the Futaba GYA 430 gyros for it. I have one on my TF P-51 and it's great. Really holds the nose straight on takeoff.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:30 AM
Fidelity101
My Feedback: (13)

Do you have a switch that turns the Gyro on and off or do you just leave it on all the time? I read several posts from 2007 when people were really into using Gyro's but the consensus later changed to "keep it simple". At least on my B-25, the engines have some serious offset. I would imagine, with this offset, that a dead engine would still allow you to fly the plane back to the runway provided you were quick on the rudder. and maintained airspeed. A Gyro might help that, but the down side to a Gyro is that you would be fighting it in turns unless you used it only for take offs and landings...in which case it wouldn't help you in regular flight anyway.

I use to have a Hangar 9 Twin Otter with two .36 evolution engines. When i lost one engine in flight, it scared the crap out of me, but I was able to keep the other engine at about 50-75% and I had no problems flying the plane back to the runway. I know the B-25 is bigger, heavier and has a higher wing loading...but I hope that an engine out situation will be controllable.

Also, I would add that I only lost one engine because I was WAY rich on one while trying to keep the rpm's similar on each engine. I later found out that it's better to be off by 500-600 rpms and have both engines tuned properly than to try and force one engine to match the other. Putting each engine on it's own channel allows you to set end points for each, which is a better way of matching rpm's vs. trying to force the better engine down or leaning out the weaker engine. I also realized that a properly balanced prop makes a lot of difference on the smaller engines...but that's a different topic. :-)
Old 06-25-2013, 05:46 AM
Mustang Fever

On my P-51 I have the gyro gain y'd into the retract circuit. With the gear down, it's in headlock mode. With the gear up, it's a rate gyro. (Didn't have enough channels for a separate switch.)

As far as the gyro "fighting" in turns, this is a non issue, even if the gyro is in headlock all the time. Any time a rudder input is given, a headlock gyro goes inactive. When the rudder stick is released, it will go back to headlock mode. (I learned this from flying helicopters.) The neat thing about it is that it forces an RC pilot who is lazy about the rudder to use it all the time. (Like me )

For twins or other multi engine aircraft, I would leave the gyro on headlock all the time, so that in the event of engine failure the unit will instantly apply rudder and save the airplane from a possible loss of control.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:09 PM
GJB737800

Old 06-29-2013, 11:25 AM
Mustang Fever

GJB:

What happened to your post?

I was going to ask how the Saito radials fit in the cowls. With twin 200s, you'll have around 30 pounds of static thrust. It will be the peppiest B-25 model in history!!
Old 06-30-2013, 12:49 AM
GJB737800

Hi Bob,

I tried to take the last post down, was thinking of putting some pictures up when it is finished...

Im just waitig for the Keleo collector rings to arrive so that I can start fitting the cowels. The Saito radials are the small 120's not the 200's. looking at the data it will swing the same size props as the OS81 at the same speed so I am not expecting a huge gain in performance especially with the added weight. The engines should fit into the cowels with just part of the rocker covers showing, a job I am not looking forward to as it can make or break the apperance of the model so I want to get it right. They almost fit with out cutting any holes..

Im just working on the onboard glow units, like everything living in the middle east I am always waitig for parts either from Europe or the US. There are a few model shops in Dubai one is very good, but still its always the small things which they dont stock. Infact this is where I got the kit for the B25, but ofcourse they didnt stock the retracts etc.

Have you sold your B25 already?, I think your setup is probably the best, my model is getting so complex now that I fear the retracts wont come down one day and I will end up with a model full of sand..

Anyway I will post some more pics as the project progresses.

Old 06-30-2013, 04:48 AM
Mustang Fever

Couple of guys interested in mine, but not sold yet.

Early in it's life, I pancaked mine into a freshly plowed field. Took longer to take it apart and clean out all the dirt than it did to repair the very minor damage.
Old 07-16-2013, 04:25 AM
GJB737800

Got the engines mounted and am roughly fitting the cowels. Everything is tight but I am really pleased with the way they fit. Just waiting for the Keleo creations exhaust collector rings to arrive then can finalize the install.

My wingspan models BBD kit arrived today. I am very pleased with the quality of the kit. Seems a fair amount of work but its 45 c outside in Dubai so it should keep me busy until it cools down a little.

Name:	Nl28611.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1901033   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44294.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1901034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oh12951.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	1901035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gi83214.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1901036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Re34108.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	1901037  
Old 07-16-2013, 04:43 AM
Mustang Fever

GJB:

I really like the looks. Excellent job on the rocker box cut outs.

What props were you looking at? The MAS 12x6 3 blade would give you the best results, I think. The 14x5 APC "benchmark" prop, at 9400 rpm, is way too slow. (Only about 45mph)

Sold mine on the 1st. [&o]
Old 07-21-2013, 04:12 AM
djstar39
My Feedback: (4)

UMITV, flew the B-25 yesterday with the DLE-20's. Had 2 awesome flights and flew around most of the time a little below half throttle. Love these engines and the sound they make! Thanks for your help and pictures!

Dave
Old 07-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Mark C
My Feedback: (26)

What props are you having the best success with when running OS 55AX? Mine currently has APC 11 x7 and takes off very well but seems to be slow flying. Would also like to consider 3-bladed props.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:00 PM
umitv

Nice. Yes twin gas engine sound is awesome. What prop are you using on them?
ORIGINAL: djstar39

UMITV, flew the B-25 yesterday with the DLE-20's. Had 2 awesome flights and flew around most of the time a little below half throttle. Love these engines and the sound they make! Thanks for your help and pictures!

Dave
Old 07-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Mark C
My Feedback: (26)

with those 12x6 3 bladed MAS, do the flex a lot? thus loosing effectiveness. I'm running APC 11x7 and the speed just isn't there for me. Was thinking of using 11x8, or 11x9 to try and get speed up but really want to run a 3 blade. What's your thoughts
Old 08-12-2013, 07:35 AM
norm

Hi All, to my great surprize, I found out the TF B-25 is discontinued !!! Mine challenged a tree after a receiver malfunction yesterday. I Have had it for 7 years since it was introduced in September 2007.

It is very sad to find out that nice ARF like the TF B-25 has been discontinued... If anyone knows where I can pick up one please let me know.

thank you.

Normand
Old 08-13-2013, 06:17 PM
mustang11

Just makes one wonder what's coming next......... Surprised me too, sure am glad I snagged the Scratch and Dent version from Tower last month.

Last edited by mustang11; 08-13-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Redtail57

I still have one brand new in the box, everything still sealed in plastic bags. I just never got around to putting this one together.

I have built about 5 mustangs and still have two corsairs from Topflite I have to build. My problem is I buy them faster than I can build them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.