Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Flyzone Tidewater, My New Favorite Plane

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Flyzone Tidewater, My New Favorite Plane

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 06:33 PM
WVrailfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flyzone Tidewater, My New Favorite Plane

I didn't see a post regarding this plane so thought I'd start one. I've only been flying for a couple of years now and this is the first plane I have flown from water. I am not an expert or instructor, but I can heartily recommend it to anyone as a first seaplane. I have had mine for about a month and have put nearly 50 flight on it. It is holding up well. I did change to a Graupner 9X5 prop because I couldn't get the original spinner/prop to balance and run smooth, beyond that the plane was great right out of the box.Speaking of out of the box, this plane goes together in about half an hour. The main components are the fuselage with tail, wing, horizontal stab and floats. Four screws to put the plane together, add your RX and bolt on the prop then go flying.The plane flies like a trainer, easy to take off and the landings make it look like I've been flying from water forever. However, for those who like to hot dog a bit, the plane can do rolls, loops and other maneuvers with ease.I have now customized the paint a bit and added nav and landing lights for evening flying. I fly mostly from a public boat ramp on a local river and this plane draws a crowd when I fly. I have several other planes I enjoy flying, but this one has become my favorite and makes me want to try some other seaplanes!Here is a video shot with an 808 #16 key fob cam taped to the plane. https://vimeo.com/67761120
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om31803.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	1891050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49367.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1891051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82317.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1891052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ex69328.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	1891053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bm76439.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	1891054  
Old 06-12-2013, 04:58 AM
bikerbc

Default RE: Flyzone Tidewater, My New Favorite Plane

It looks like a nice little plane .. I was never a big fan of the electrics until I got one.. I won one at a float fly and after I Played with it a bit I realized there is some advantages like they are way easier to start in the winter and you dont get that cold goo blowing on your hands .. I now have 3 and the Tide Water might just be number 4 .. I like how you can run an electric early in the morning when the water is calm and not busy and not disturb anybody.. Way to go on the review and nice video .. Thanks
Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It looks like a nice little plane .. I was never a big fan of the electrics until I got one..
Me too. Or four. Heck, once you get a good charger you might as well get more models.

Don't have a Tidewater but I was admiring one at our last float fly. Looked like a great way to get on the water and seemed to take off better than most of the wing float contributions that day. Though often that is more pilot than product.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:34 PM
WVrailfan

I'm know a good pilot makes it look easy, but I have to admit, I'm average on a good day and this plane makes me look good;-)
Old 06-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Charlie P.

You mention trying other seaplanes - I have become quite the addict of waterplanes.  With floats and now a seaplane,.  My flying boat is a GP G-44 Widgeon and I have a ball with it.  Programmed in the differential throttle so I can taxi without a water rudder - and it will zip through "S" turns much faster and sharper than my float planes.  This one too does not seem to catch the wing floats and pitch sideways as I often see light seaplanes do.  

I can highly recommed it as a rugged and lovely plane.  And twins sound great even if electric!  

I'll probably have a Tidewater before next Spring.  Have fulfilled my new model quota for 2013 (three) and if THE ADMIRAL ain't happy, no one in the house is happy. [:@]
Old 06-12-2013, 11:58 PM
bikerbc

I am having a lot of fun wit the Parkzone I Con A5 too .. It is a cool little plane also the Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver , The beaver comes with floats , and has the neatest light system .. Flashing strobe and colored marker lites , It has flaps .. It is really a fantastic deal and it flys great too....I been mostly flying it from the land but had it on the floats once.. Switching over takes a bit of dicking around as does taking the wings on and off .. I just leave my wings on and transport that way.. That is the only down side I can see to the plane and it is actually kind of nice being all together all the time..
Old 06-13-2013, 07:35 AM
WVrailfan

Took mine out again yesterday around sunset. We are suppose to be getting some storms, so I figured I'd get in a few flight before they get here. This plane actually makes touch and go's fun. https://vimeo.com/68275995
Old 06-13-2013, 09:19 AM
Charlie P.

ORIGINAL: WVrailfan
This plane actually makes touch and go's fun.

Aren't they always?

On a calm day just dragging the water rudder(s) orthe finest keel edge across the mirror surface . . . Mmmmmmmmm.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:30 AM
WVrailfan

It just gets better and better. https://vimeo.com/68669668
Old 06-19-2013, 07:18 PM
WVrailfan

Apparently, one water fowl is as good as another, as I found my Tidewater being chased and checked out by some baby ducks. They were very curious, swimming right up to the plane as I taxied out to take off and then back after landing. The on-board cam caught some neat pics of the little guys and their Mom.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28356.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1893356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85444.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1893357   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74879.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	70.2 KB