Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Jim Henley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SYSSA 30CC GAS MADE IN USA

Al thanks for the information. I did have a low speed stall that required a new fuselage to repair, perhaps that was the "Less than graceful landing" you spoke of. The symptoms you list are what I am experiencing. The engine will start and die then pop, turning the engine backwards. I'll tear the cap off an old ignition to see what is inside the cap and how it is attached.
Thanks!
Old 06-18-2013, 12:57 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

TSP - yes, exactly. Did you finish that book up, or did somebody give you a 10 minute pass to misbehave on a forum?

JH - Do that. You may find you have a couple of spare modules on hand! They'll work fine on anything using a CM-6 plug.

-Al
Old 06-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Jim Henley

Al,I did tear one of the plug caps off a failed module and did not see any signs of arcing inside the cap. When the new module shows up I will take the cap apart on the one currently on the plane and see if I see any sign of arcing there. It would be nice to find out that a new plug cap would
revive one of these old modules.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:09 PM
ahicks

Jim, I'd suggest you order a cap and try it. If you're flying gas, eventually you're going to need it. That plug cap hanging from the bottom of the cowl pretty much assures that (unless you're a much more carefull flyer than I am!). I've had a couple I couldn't see any problem with come back to life afterward. Actually, I don't even look now. If it acts up when I'm trying to start it (after an encounter with the dirt) I just replace it. -Al
Old 06-18-2013, 05:43 PM
Jim Henley

Good idea, I'll get one ordered
Old 06-19-2013, 04:18 AM
Joystick TX

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jim Henley

. . . . . . The engine will start and die then pop, turning the engine backwards. I'll tear the cap off an old ignition to see what is inside the cap and how it is attached.
Thanks!
Jim,I don't think the cap is the problem on your ignition. Normally, if the cap is shorted, your engine would not start well or may not run at all due to the lack of spark at the plug tip. That problem shows up well with the ignition testers, also you may not see a spark at the tip, but you may hear it inside the cap.The attached chart shows the measurements for a problem that I had recently with an ignition module. The timing curve was off which was easy to test using an O'Scope and measuring the timing delay and then converting that time to degrees. Of course, due to the different failure characteristics of the components, the timing curve on your module will not follow this exact curve, but it may be similar. The location of the bad "notch", in relation to the rpm, will determine if the engine is slow to accelerate or will backfire. The backfiring on your engine could be caused by the steep change in the advance at low rpm.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Bz78580.pdf (132.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 06-19-2013, 04:44 AM
ahicks

ORIGINAL: Joystick TX

. . . . . . The engine will start and die then pop, turning the engine backwards. I'll tear the cap off an old ignition to see what is inside the cap and how it is attached.
Thanks!
Jim,I don't think the cap is the problem on your ignition. Normally, if the cap is shorted, your engine would not start well or may not run at all due to the lack of spark at the plug tip. That problem shows up well with the ignition testers, also you may not see a spark at the tip, but you may hear it inside the cap.The attached chart shows the measurements for a problem that I had recently with an ignition module. The timing curve was off which was easy to test using an O'Scope and measuring the timing delay and then converting that time to degrees. Of course, due to the different failure characteristics of the components, the timing curve on your module will not follow this exact curve, but it may be similar. The location of the bad ''notch'', in relation to the rpm, will determine if the engine is slow to accelerate or will backfire. The backfiring on your engine could be caused by the steep change in the advance at low rpm.
That reminds me - you COULD see a spark at the tip, but that may not happen when the plug is installed and subjected to the pressure of compression? That's REALLY frustrating, but unforntunately not all that uncommon.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:32 AM
Jim Henley

Steve, I have the ignition tester (spark generator) and hall sensor tester, however as stated by you and Al, they do not pin point an issue with the advance curve. Is anyone aware whether or not the advance curve on the RCXEL ignitions is the same or are they engine application specific.
Thanks!
Old 06-19-2013, 05:58 AM
Joystick TX

Some of them are different; the A-01 module used on the Syssa should follow the "good" curve shown on the chart. The module used on the DLE 20 has a different curve for sure, but I have not mapped one out. So far, RCXEL has six part numbers, or three versions, I think the timing is different on two of them, maybe three. I have only tested five of the A-01 and one of the bad A-02 modules.If you don't have a club member locally that can do the test, I can check the module for you and map the curve if you would like to know what it looks like. It would be interesting to get a few more samples of this failure mode.Wow, ahicks, I thought everyone who knew about pressure testing spark plugs was dead by now. It is a lost art for sure. Back in my "real" engine repair days, 1950's and 60's, we ALWAYS tested new and old plugs for spark under pressure; it was a very uncommon failure mode. On the big radial engines, with 56 spark plugs, at about $40 each, and many, many hours required to replace them, we did all sorts of testing on them before we put them in an engine on a plane. I even did tests to make sure the spark duration, or ringing, was correct to make sure the resistor in the plugs was the correct value. That really caused an odd problem. I don't think anyone but race car mechs pressure test plugs today.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:47 AM
JohnB96041

Subscribe
Old 06-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

Hi, Guys.

Pretty close to a year ago, I ordered an engine from Syssa aircraft. Todd said the V2 was coming out ''next week sometime,'' and so, I ordered it and they charged my Credit Card. The months rolled by, and each time I spoke with Todd, he said the same thing; ''next week sometime.'' About two months ago, he stopped answering his phone, and he stopped answering my mails. Their voice-mail box is full all the time now.

Since so many months had passed, I reluctantly wrote Todd and asked for a refund. I've gotten no answer, so I've written him two more times. Finally, in my last mail to him, I demanded a refund. Not surprisingly, there has been no response, and certainly nobody has credited my credit card. I checked. I continue to dial him, but he still doesn't answer the phone.

Probably five or six months ago, an engine came, but at the first glance I saw it was not the engine I ordered.

Steve, it was yours, of course, and I got the UPS pick-up address label from Syssa, and then I sent it on to you.

I've started my RC Guys Super Decathlon build video series, but without the engine, I'm at a standstill. And without the money, I'll have to pay out of pocket for another brand of gasser.

I don't know if any of you have been having similar experiences, but I figured that if this is a growing problem that people may want to know about it. Sad to say, but with the track records I've seen for U.S. production facilities in the RC field, I'm going to start buying my RC gear from the folks across the great waters, or above the great lakes.

I've seen this sort of thing before, and usually, it ain't a good sign. Anybody else having problems?

Here's a photo of my summer house in Maine, undergoing radical remodeling.

Jim
Hey, Jim:
I was talking to Todd regularly back around Christmas (2012). Since then, I haven't heard a word. Kind of disappointing. I set up a "vendor's booth" for him at our swap meet just because I like his engines. Had a good bit of interest, but at this point, I don't recommend them to anyone. Not because I'm not convinced of their quality, but due to the lack of support and communication. If he (Todd) would just answer the dang phone and respond to his customers. he wouldn't be able to keep up with the demand. Maybe that's the problem he's having now. who knows? We'd all know if he would just respond.
Steve
Old 06-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Joystick TX

My family has four business ventures going right now. When we did the start up for each one, we made sure that customer support was a major priority. We know that poor service can break a company very quickly, even one that is well established, or one that has a quality product. <o></o>

I hate to pile on, but unfortunately, I can't recommend Syssa engines, or even the website, to anyone right now for a whole host of reasons. I have a new aircraft, the Bellhop, under construction and I modified it to fit the Syssa engine. I have two of them that are not in aircraft and I am not going to put one in a new plane due to some quality and reliability issues. I need to change the engine mount design to accept the DLE 35ra, I am very happy with that engine and the service provided. <o></o>

My "new" engine failed after only 26 hours of running time, and yes, I log every flight and the time on my gas planes. The engine was repaired, I don'tknow what was done, nor do I know if I need to follow a break-in if a ring was replaced. One engine came back from repair with someone else's carb; I know that because it had been modified. A picture of the mod is on a previous post in this forum. I also had to rebuild it to get the engine to run. The timing was wrong, over five degrees out, on two engines that were returned. I ran out of adjustment on the Hall sensor mount, so they can't be set closer than 28 degrees without cutting deeply into the Hall sensor mount. Based on prior quality from Syssa, I thought I was going crazy and had someone else double check the timing, they had the same results that I had. I think the magnet in the new hub is in a different location. No word from Todd on why or how things are going wrong and no info on a "get well" plan.

I thought he was mounting an effort to improve service at the first of this year, but I haven't seen any improvement.

Stick a fork in it, it’s done.<o></o>

Old 06-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Jim Henley

Steve, it would be interesting to see what the advance curve is on this module. When the new one arrives and I can confirm that was the problem, I would be willing to send you the module so you could take a look at the advance curve. Hopefully the new module will be here by Monday
Old 06-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Joystick TX

Steve, it would be interesting to see what the advance curve is on this module. When the new one arrives and I can confirm that was the problem, I would be willing to send you the module so you could take a look at the advance curve. Hopefully the new module will be here by Monday
Jim,I sent you a PM with my address. I'm waiting on a new A-02 module right now, I have been running an A-01 in place of it and it seems to have the same advance curve. Will be interesting to check it out too.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

My brother designed a Tiger 2 specifically for the SAP 180. We built them and I installed my engine. He nor I could get hold of Todd, so he ordered a DLE 35. I was supposed to share pictures and videos of our planes flying with his engines, but since we can't even get him to answer the phone, to hell with it. I spent a great deal of money and personal capital hawking his engines. I feel betrayed, and embarrassed. When you back someone to the wall, then turn around and find they're not there. . . . . I'd be pissed if it wasn't my own fault. Oh, well.

And, I'm unsubscribing to this forum. I'll run them til they don't, then I'll buy some Chinese POJ. This is why it's so hard to buy American. Pay more, get less. At least in this case. []

Go Tech
Old 06-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Beej

Hi All,
Two SAP 180s for sale. Each less than 5 gallons of running, returned to Todd with suspected bearing issues and returned recently "new from factory" with "V2 parts upgrade" and CNC mufflers. It took so long to get them back in the meantime I bought a DLE 35 RA which runs superbly and fulfils all of my requirements. $175.00 each or $300.00 for the pair. For serials, photos and more info etc and to make an offer PM me. Will ship but at your expense.

cheers,

Beej

Old 06-21-2013, 03:14 AM
Joystick TX

Red,Sorry to hear about your Tiger 2/Syssa experience. I love the Tiger 2, best landing plane I ever saw in my life, love T&G's.I have been happy with my DLE 35, I did have an ignition module fail, but that is not DLE's fault. Beej,I also had early bearing failures, don't know if it was rods or crankshaft, can't get any answers.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:19 AM
Joystick TX

It is interesting that the July 2013 issue of Model Aviation has a review of the Aeroworks Cessna 195 and features the Syssa engine.

Hope that does not result in a lot of unhappy customers.

Old 06-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Jim Henley

Monday my new module arrived from Syssa, along with a flush mount switch and new CM-6 plug. I got the module changed out yesterday and the engine starts and runs just fine (again) so, #2 module appears to have bitten the dust. I wonder if the folks at C & H can repair these or are they throw away's. Steve I got your PM and will be sending you the module so you can have a look.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Joystick TX

The C&H modules can be repaired, I think the RCEXL's have a potting material that makes it difficult to repair them.I would love to see the module, but first does it have spark at the plug? If there is no spark, my test won't work.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:55 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It is usually the sensor is taken out by a bad spark plug cap
Old 06-27-2013, 04:01 PM
Jim Henley

So let's say one did damage to a plug cap trying to get it off, one wouldn't need to necessarily have to have a bad landing to damage it. Perhaps I need a lesson in plug cap removal.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Joystick TX

Jim, does it have spark at the plug?
Old 06-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Joystick TX

Jim, does it have spark at the plug?
Old 06-28-2013, 04:36 AM
Jim Henley

Steve,
I will check it to be sure, but when it failed the engine would start, it just would not keep running.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.