Community
Search
Notices
Hitec/MultiPlex Radios- Ask Hitec Customer Service Ask Hitec/MultiPlex Customer Service your Radio questions here.

HS-55s - OK for Maxford GB E?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 05:07 AM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HS-55s - OK for Maxford GB E?

Maxford recommends HS-55s for their Gee Bee E electric model. This is a 3lb-10oz model with a 59" wingspan. Will these servos be sufficient for safe flight? They seem awful tiny and some reviewers state that they have installed more powerful/robust servos in this plane. They don't say why.

Anyway, I have purchased 4 HS-55s and plan to use them if I don't get a lot of negative feedback about this application.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:19 PM
A.T.

Default RE: HS-55s - OK for Maxford GB E?

ORIGINAL: Daniel-EL
Maxford recommends HS-55s for their Gee Bee E electric model.
This is a 3lb-10oz model with a 59" wingspan. Will these servos be sufficient for safe flight?
They seem awful tiny and some reviewers state that they have installed more powerful/robust servos in this plane.
They don't say why.
Anyway, I have purchased 4 HS-55s and plan to use them if I don't get a lot of negative feedback about this application.
Maxford GEE BEE MODEL E ARF may be a largish EP model but it does have a light wing loading.
Gven theHS-55 is by farthe most popular small servo in it's range, it invariably receives more comment than any other.
To prove it's capability, installed two HS-55as elevon servo in a veryfast MPXTwinjet converted to single brushless four + years ago.
No problem todateappart from one pilot induced bad landing which requiredone new set of servo gear .
The nylon gear last many times longer than MG so would notrecommend MG in any suchlightly loaded smallmodel.
. Servo - FAQ : Metal Gear Servos - DIY Repair & Extend MG Servo Gear Life
. Servo - FAQ : Metal Gear Servos - Expected Lifetime (short) with extreme 3D use. post #2 & #4.

Some do choose to install a larger motor,servo etc than those recommendedwith result model is harder to fly.
The increased weight and power requires higher speed thus higher loading on all structures and fittings which invariably leads to faster
demise ofmodel, then they blame the kitmanufacturer...
Stay within the manufacturer's recommendations, they do not want bad publicitiy and in fact want you to buy more of their product.

Much more information available under sub sections
"Glitches & Jitter in Receiver, Servo & ESC - Causes and Cures"
"Servo - Alterations, Calculators, Databases, Leads, Repairs, Winch & FAQ."
below
"Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:19 AM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: HS-55s - OK for Maxford GB E?

Thanks for an excellent and thoughtful response! My knowledge of servos and servo selection has increased 10-fold, with a potential 100-fold increase after I search all the references you provided.