Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Buying a trailer, what do I need?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Buying a trailer, what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buying a trailer, what do I need?

ORIGINAL: RCKen
When I got my trailer I was afraid that it was going to be a hassle getting hooked up to go to the flying field. But now that I have it I find it's much much easier than what I did before. My previous routine was the evening before flying I would load up my truck. Ok, put the planes in the truck, pull out the radio boxes and load them, load up fuel cans, load up field box, load up tool box, load up my folding chair. then I pulled out all the chargers and hook everything up to charge in the back of my truck, except for Li-pos which I charge outside in a fireproof box.
Ken
This is great to hear - that sounds exhausting and time consuming. I was wondering what it would be like to have to drag a trailer every time I want to fly, but it sounds a heck of a lot better than what I'm doing now!

DasinTex, I'll check into the side vent layout. The trailer comes with 2 vents, I can see about adding a third or just another pair and where they typically put them. Maybe I'll have them insulate the roof too. Will insulate it at some point - I thought I'd run the electrical along the roof before closing it up, but maybe it's better to just get the insulation done with and run a conduit down the inside of the trailer. It comes with a 12v dome light and switch installed already and I'll probably wire up some lights in the rear corners and near the door.

It's $204 to have insulated ceiling covered in white paneling. Sounded like a lot at first, but then I think about time and cost of materials and maybe it's not. Maybe I need to price out some insulation and paneling.
Old 06-20-2013, 08:45 AM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a smaller home made 5x7 trailer that is about 4' tall, it is nice and light and it was pretty cheap to make, but it is none too big. I can get 7 20-60 size planes in and I keep most of my planes in it most of the time, it is a lot easier then trying to pack everything into my truck, I also have many small things that I keep in it to tweak my planes or my friends planes (dremel, drill, bolts, etc)

I think you are on the right track.

You could also buy something like this if you are really worried about heat http://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-8-000-...5#.UcMxbee1GSo

Jon
Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Jetdesign

One of the guys at the Nats last year had one of those in his trailer - it was awesome! It even kept people cool sitting near the door.

I have been thinking about some kind of solar powered vent or fan - that might be a nice upgrade at some point.
Old 06-20-2013, 11:42 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Hey, there is one x sale in the buy/sell section right now. $1800
Old 06-20-2013, 12:45 PM
wesaysoracing

this is what I use to haul planes in
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66002.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	1893600  
Old 06-20-2013, 01:40 PM
Jetdesign

Here is what I decided on:

Look Element 5x10 (comes with side vents, dome light, plywood sides/floor, etc)
Side Door
Rear barn doors (2)
Wedge Front
Slope Front
Roof Vent
Stabilizer Jacks
2-tone: White/Silver

Cost should be $2212 + tax

Options I wanted but thought I could add later to save up front cost:
15A Motorbase Plug $79
Outlets $35/ea
Insulated Ceiling w/ white panel $204
Insulated Walls $130

If you think it really is in my best interests to get any of those up front, don't hesitate to let me know! I am awating final quote before submitting deposit.

Thanks for all your help. I have a hard time with bigger purchases especially with my house renovation being complete chaos and my super stressful job.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Ken, I have a WW trailer that was built in your state. Its about 6x8, I haul my Harley in it now and then but mostly I haul firewood, tiller and mower and assorted saws, drills etc. Worry not, its not hooked up in the picture. Some day I'm going to buy a frame hitch for it. It has electric brakes and a 3,500 lb load capacity. The TorFlex suspension rides super smooth.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77310.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1893627  
Old 06-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Jetdesign

I went with torsion axles. It was only $100 difference. I asked about removing springs and they said they wouldn't. So this should ride a little smoother with a low weight load.

EDIT: cancelled the torsion option. removing springs is a better idea. either way 3500lb rating is what it is, regardless of material. both will be stiff with no load.