Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CM-6 Gas Engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 02:53 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CM-6 Gas Engine problem

Could the engine e loading up running too rich. What does the plug look like when you pull it?
Old 06-20-2013, 04:58 PM
bcchi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Night Scream

ORIGINAL: chris923

I think you ignition is getting to hot wrapped in foam.
I also though so years ago and then just placed a small square just the size of the ignition on the bottom of it using foam to prevent the vibrations.

And still the same problem persists.. after those 115-30 flights they stop working be it in the air while performing aerobatics or even after landing .. after those flights have bpassed its a lotery when it will go..
I allways carry 1 brand new ignition with me in my field box.. because everytime this happens.. i try turning the motor on again and nothing happens or it just sputters trying to turn on but dies..

I place the brand new ignition and instantly it turns on with no problems at all.. It's extremely frustrating not to mention becoming quite expensive..

I've been flying for quite over 20 yrs and since i switched to gas engines this is a constant problem.. With glow if the engine stuttered i switched the glow , maybe fine tune the needle a bit and was back in the air. but with this I quite honesly don't know what's going on.
I think you are not getting the spark plug cap all the way on the spark plug where it should be.When it is on correctly the snap ring will be all the way past the hex on the spark plug. This is about the only problem we ever had when we were selling RCEXL Ignitions.
We also had a few problems like this with our C&H Ignitons using the RCEXL plug caps.I would relax the snap ring a small amount and put silicone diaelectric grease on the spark plug and in the cap. This was also the problem with the DL 35 RA with the ignition complaints when the 35 RA
first came out. I see RCEXL has went to a lighter snap ring.
BCCHI Used to be C&H
Old 06-20-2013, 07:11 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Well now you heard it from the man himself, so do as he suggests and see if your problem goes away.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:53 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just checked the brand new plug I bought last time from bob's hobby shop in Florida is a Honda NGK japan Cm-6 plug..

I'll be using this one after I change to another ignition on my mx2 as the one I had stopped working today.
I bet the Honda NGK CM6 plug will solve your problem. You can even try it on one of the other ignition systems that did not seem too work. Who knows until you try it! Capt,n
Old 06-21-2013, 12:39 AM
LARRYKOP

I had a simlilar problem with a XYZ 53 CC Twin that I bought from Hobby King. I found the problem on the test stand. The motor simply would not run with a Nickle Metal Hydride battery pack. When I switched to an old Nickle Cadium pack it ran great. I know that this doesn't make sence. I think these motors are drawing more power than the pack can deliver. I was using a 4 cell 1400 mh new NIMH pack and it wouldn't run. It ran fine on a very old 4 cell 600 MH Nickle Cadium pack. I'm in the process of building a Voltage regulator using a LM 7805 so I can use 2 cell Lipo's.
I have been in this hobby for 35 years, and I have a complete machine shop. I have done complete ignition conversions.
Larry
[email protected]
Old 06-21-2013, 03:20 AM
pe reivers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pe reivers

+1 with Raptureboy.

Rcexl ignitions are known to operate well up to 7V since day one! Maybe with shortened lifespan, but surely not 25 flights. I operate the old types on 2S LiFe battery to be sure of a strong spark. Others have done the same without ill effects. I use either NGK CM6 (used in Honda generators, not a Honda plug) or RCexl ICM6 iridium plugs. Both are good. The Iridium plug is slightly colder than NGK CM6.
Where can you get those iridium plugs from? First time I've heard of them
I stock them; made by Rcexl.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:09 AM
Night Scream

Well here are the picstures..

I know i'm not the best photographer and i took them using my phone's camera.

Ignition Sequence
[/URL]

Honda NGK Plug

Bottom of cowling Xtra 260 [ over 250 flights DLE 30 side carb]

Ignition location on X260 coil runs under the tank, ignition switch is on the opposite side of the ignition
Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have also used this brand with no problems. http://www.densoiridium.com/faq.php
Old 06-21-2013, 04:55 AM
cessnaflyer54
My Feedback: (68)

Try setting your plugs at .18 to .20 Most NGK CM-6 plugs are set at that setting out of the box.
I get my plugs at NAPA Auto Parts and they are priced about the same as anywhere.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:57 AM
cessnaflyer54
My Feedback: (68)

Try setting your plugs at .18 to .20 Most NGK CM-6 plugs are set at that setting out of the box.
I get my plugs at NAPA Auto Parts and they are priced about the same as anywhere.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: LARRYKOP

I had a simlilar problem with a XYZ 53 CC Twin that I bought from Hobby King. I found the problem on the test stand. The motor simply would not run with a Nickle Metal Hydride battery pack. When I switched to an old Nickle Cadium pack it ran great. I know that this doesn't make sence. I think these motors are drawing more power than the pack can deliver. I was using a 4 cell 1400 mh new NIMH pack and it wouldn't run. It ran fine on a very old 4 cell 600 MH Nickle Cadium pack. I'm in the process of building a Voltage regulator using a LM 7805 so I can use 2 cell Lipo's.
I have been in this hobby for 35 years, and I have a complete machine shop. I have done complete ignition conversions.
Larry
[email protected]
It really does make sense Larry. NIMH batteries are known to have higher internal resistance than NICDs. The systems were designed for NICD use.
I think you are asking for trouble with a regulator. Its just another part to fail. And the resistance of the regulator adds to the internal resistance of the battery.
And a LIPO is not exactly a safe battery to put in an airplane. In a crash you will likely lose all your equipment in addition to your aircraft in the resultant fire.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:31 PM
okdreamin
My Feedback: (9)

Jedi Jody  posted on this issue a couple of yrs ago.   He says if you gap your plug any wider than .024  to carry an extra ignition because it causes the ign to overload.   Some try a wider gap to help with the mid range burbling with the dle 30.   stock setting is .018 - .020  good luck. 

Old 06-22-2013, 06:34 AM
Night Scream

That's it guys [X(]!!!

After reading the latest posts and then going to check all my dle-30's and the instructions and notes I got ..

I had all my plugs always set at .25 as that was the gap everyone in the field told me when I started to fly gas, and also in the local hobby shop [never asked in bob's.. ]

I have just set all my plugs to be .18 loose but at .19 be snug.

I will now be flying with a new ignition on the mx2 with that new setting for the plug.. and I'll let you guys know.

The battery I'm using I posted a picture a few posts up its an expert 1500 Ni-MH..

Should I leave it or use the voltage regular from castle creations I just bought.. it says it's set for a maximum voltage of 5volts no matter what battery I put on the other side.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:10 AM
All Day Dan

If the battery has sufficient capacity, you should always use it alone without adding the complexity of a regulator. How old is the battery and when was the last time you cycled it to check its capacity? Dan.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:29 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't believe the difference in gap is your answer, but whatever...
Old 06-22-2013, 07:35 AM
dirtybird

I guess you are going to use that regulator in spite of anyone. What I think you will find is the motor will begin to stutter at high RPM. Especially if you use that NIMH battery.
BTW please send me your failed ignitions. I'll pay the postage.
Old 06-22-2013, 07:49 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

ORIGINAL: ahicks

I don't believe the difference in gap is your answer, but whatever...
+1

Old 06-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Night Scream

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

I guess you are going to use that regulator in spite of anyone. What I think you will find is the motor will begin to stutter at high RPM. Especially if you use that NIMH battery.
BTW please send me your failed ignitions. I'll pay the postage.
After thinking about it.. it makes no sense to use the voltage regulator so I won't use it for the ignition.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:01 PM
All Day Dan

These guys have made me countless receiver and ignition battery packs using these 1500 NiCads. I just got three more to replace some 2 1/2 year old batteries that were down 20% of their original capacity. The new packs were cycled three times and they are perfect. Spend another $30+ bucks and get a fresh NiCad pack for your ignition. Dan.
http://www.rocbattery.com/collection...cts/kr-1500aul
Old 06-23-2013, 04:15 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan, what is your recommended rate of charge for the pack you tell about. Is 100-200 MAH ok? Thanks Capt,n
Old 06-23-2013, 06:10 AM
All Day Dan

captin, All NiCads should be charged at 1/10 their rated value for 12 to 16 hours dependiing on their initial state of charge. In this case, 150 milliamps. This will provide you with a long lasting, reliable battery pack. Discard the pack when the capacity falls 20% of their initial value or about 2 1/2 years which ever occurs first. Dan.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:57 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

Have you cycled your ignition batterys to see how many milliamps they really do have?
I have been using an early version rcxel ignition wrapped in foam behind the firewall no cooling whatsoever on 6v for over 50 flights so far with no problems.
I would like to know what is going on.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:43 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: All Day Dan

captin, All NiCads should be charged at 1/10 their rated value for 12 to 16 hours dependiing on their initial state of charge. In this case, 150 milliamps. This will provide you with a long lasting, reliable battery pack. Discard the pack when the capacity falls 20% of their initial value or about 2 1/2 years which ever occurs first. Dan.
I have had Nicads that after 5 years of use still retained 85+% of their rated capacity.