Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Sullivan molded foam wing sets

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Sullivan molded foam wing sets

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:46 PM
cleyba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sullivan molded foam wing sets

I have a set of plans that cal for a set of the Sullivan wing kit to build the plane. Its called a Tube-O-Roo. The plane is basically a 4" round cardboard mailing tube and the sullivan wing kit and tail feathers added to the back end of the tube. Trike gear. I built one back in the early eighties and it flew great. Fast, stable and really fast. I want to build another plane but I need another set of wings since my original plane is long gone. Would you consider selling the set you have? I would greatly appreciate the consideration. My only alternative is to find someone to cut one for me. Please shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] or reply on this post. Thanks.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:15 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here jis my pair.

You can see that the wing cores have to be sheeted and joined.

The finished wing is about 60" span.

AFAICS, the section is symmetrical.

A few little dings, but nothing substantial.

Are these what you want?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20421.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1892857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64745.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	1892858  
Old 06-18-2013, 11:16 AM
cleyba

Thanks for taking the time to send me the photos. This is the wing kit my project asks for. If you send me your address Imay be able to e-mail you a shipping label or transfer you funds for shipping thru Paypal if you have an account. Let me know and I'll try to accomadate any method of shipping. Thanks again. Chris
Old 06-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Frank Schwartz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm...a mailing tube for a fuselage and you put the Sullivan amazing molded and sheeted wings on it??
Amazing! I have saved a couple of pair of these wonderfully designed cores....and still wonder if any plane was ever designed to use them.......
Old 06-18-2013, 05:09 PM
cleyba

Here is a link to the article that was in RC Modeler magazine January 1979. The plane flew great. I had a friend cut the wing for me with a bow but it originally called for a Sullivan wing kit. I do not have a bow or foam to cut another and would sure like to build another one. One kind gentleman offered me a wing kit but he lives in the United Kingdom and it looks like it might cost a little more than a few bucks to have it shipped. If anyone in the states might have a set they wouldnt mind parting with I'd be extremely interested. The plans are still available at the RCModeler website.

https://www.rcmplans.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_ in_description=1&keyword=tube-o-roo

http://pulling-gz.blogspot.com/2012/...ries_3633.html

Old 06-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Frank Schwartz

Re: The Graduate: I looked at the picture on the link...doesn't look like the foam wings by Sullivan. Would you please scan the article and email to me off this link at [email protected]
Many thanks
Frank Schwartz
Old 06-20-2013, 10:28 AM
cleyba

Good day Mr. Schwartz. Iscanned and sent you the article on the Tube-O-Roo to your e-mail address. Ihope it comes out ok. Icircled a couple of places on the article referring to the Sullivan wing kit. One place it refers to the kit is in the required materials to build the plane. Also in one of the pictures (It's hard to make out ) you can barely see the recesses in the wing panel between the cap strips, you can also see an end cap on the inside of one of the recesses at the inner wing tip. Thanks for the interest. It's a very cool concept, cheap to build and fun to fly. Ithink Ispent about $18 to $25 bucks the first time I built it, excluding the radio and engine of coarse. Iused bicycle spokes for the pushrods, A mail tube my mom had, scrap balsa from a couple of wrecked trainer planes and Ithink I was given a roll of monokote from a club member. Iwas only 14 years old and Ihad a couple of news paper routes to feed my hobby. Ithrew newspapers all summer in order to buy a Kraft radio and my grandmother gave me an engine for Christmas. Icouldnt afford to buy kits so Ibuilt them from RCM magazine pages with a ruler, divider, compass and a lot of motivation. 33 years later I'm still doing it the same way. I love it. Chris
Old 06-21-2013, 09:57 PM
wellss

ORIGINAL: Frank Schwartz

Re: The Graduate: I looked at the picture on the link...doesn't look like the foam wings by Sullivan. Would you please scan the article and email to me off this link at [email protected]
Many thanks
Frank Schwartz
The article should be accessible here,

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=86204F59D7AB8871!156
Old 06-22-2013, 08:38 AM
Frank Schwartz

Thank you....I was able to read the article and I am going to order the plans...finally I can build a plane for a set of those wings...
Frank