Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

what you think, a Walbro for a Glow 4st

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

what you think, a Walbro for a Glow 4st

Old 06-21-2013, 07:00 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default what you think, a Walbro for a Glow 4st

so my son has a Magnum 180 4st, it runs great and it's quite smooth and powerful, it will turn an APC 17X8W at 8800 (on 15% Nitro), as I have found that is the same as the Saito 180

the problem is I can not trust it to idle unless it has been flown, 2 things come to mind, 1) it simply will not idle well unless it gets hot in flight,, or,, 2) before flight the tank is full and the engine just runs to rich at idle,, keep in mind that if I lean the idle more it will not start well at all, so I'm sure the Low Needle is where it should be, cause if I richen it more the idle becomes worse,
BTW, after flight it will idle way, way down, it will really plunk down low and will just keep on idling

to add, both the High and Low needs are very, very loose, and I have tried all the Magnum tricks with the needs,

so I was thinking about making a Manifold for a Walbro, it would not be that hard, the pluses would be the Walbro would have a Fuel Pump, and I think it would not be as messy

to add,, I can call Walbro as I have in the past and get a Carb that fits the ID of the port that has the highest Metering so it will flow the Alcohol well

yes, I will be sticking with Glow Fuel..

so I'm sure it would work, but it is important that I do not loose any power or top RPM, so my question is, do you think this setup would loose power or top RPM ??

what yeeaa think

Jim
Old 06-21-2013, 07:17 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: what you think, a Walbro for a Glow 4st

for glow fuel, You will likely need the Walbro Methanol rebuild kit for the carb so you can can replace the diaphragms with methanol compatible parts. Now using the methanol 2 stroke Walbro carb on a 4 stroke may wind up being too rich for a 4 stroke engine, so using a regular Walbro might work in that case. You could also get a Walbro 4 stroke engine carb and use it with the methanol rebuild kit too. They do have 4 stroke trimmer engines in the 30cc displacement range too. Thus the 4 stroke gas carb might work if it isn't set too lean on the jets.

Another thought is to use a Cline regulator and a Perry VP-22SG oscillating pump and just use the regular carb that came with the engine. But that depends on how good the OEm carb is though.

Then you can also just convert the engine over to spark ignition using a CH-Ignitions conversion kit. The spark ignition engines idle much better with the more reliable spark ignition versus a glow plug. That would let you keep the OEM carb then.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 PM
the Wasp

thank's for repling earlwd,

yes, I do know about the gaskets needed to be change.. and I wont care to go to gas because of the loose in power..

but do you know if the Walbro 4 stroke carbs have Accelerator Pumps in them, I don't think the Glow 4st would work well with an Accelerator Pump, what about that ??

thanks again
Jim
Old 06-21-2013, 08:53 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you jump to the "Engine Conversions" forum you will see a couple of discussions on this subject concerning the ASP/SC?Magnum 180 FS.

Here are the threads:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10619867/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9218106/tm.htm
Old 06-21-2013, 09:33 PM
the Wasp

yes thank you, I have read them.. I know a Walbro will work, but my biggest worry is I may loose some power

Jim
Old 06-22-2013, 09:02 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your best bet would be to replace the engine. Magnum's seem to have runs of bad carbs and other parts. Quality keeps changing from good to poor.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:52 PM
the Wasp

replace the engine,, no way,, you sure don't know Magnum 4st's,, and with my mechanical skills why should I replace an engine just because of it's Carb..

as said, the engine is strong and smooth, it's a good engine, the Carb doesn't make it a bad engine, it's 3 years old and it has only 3 gallons run threw it

I have seen Magnums run for years and years while hearing complaints about OS and Saito, I know a guy that has a Magnum 91 4st and it is 12 or 13 years old, and he flies it a lot

Jim
Old 07-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: earlwb

for glow fuel, You will likely need the Walbro Methanol rebuild kit for the carb so you can can replace the diaphragms with methanol compatible parts. Now using the methanol 2 stroke Walbro carb on a 4 stroke may wind up being too rich for a 4 stroke engine, so using a regular Walbro might work in that case. You could also get a Walbro 4 stroke engine carb and use it with the methanol rebuild kit too. They do have 4 stroke trimmer engines in the 30cc displacement range too. Thus the 4 stroke gas carb might work if it isn't set too lean on the jets.

Another thought is to use a Cline regulator and a Perry VP-22SG oscillating pump and just use the regular carb that came with the engine. But that depends on how good the OEm carb is though.

Then you can also just convert the engine over to spark ignition using a CH-Ignitions conversion kit. The spark ignition engines idle much better with the more reliable spark ignition versus a glow plug. That would let you keep the OEM carb then.
I put ignition on my Saito 1.50 when it would throw props, etc. The early 1.50s were notorious for that. After a summer of flying the engine broke in and behaves fine on glow.

FWIW,

CR

Old 07-08-2013, 03:44 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Charley

ORIGINAL: earlwb

I put ignition on my Saito 1.50 when it would throw props, etc. The early 1.50s were notorious for that. After a summer of flying the engine broke in and behaves fine on glow.

FWIW,

CR

That 150 will make more power on 20% less fuel W/CDI W/300 RPM lower reliable idle.

Why in the world did you ever go back to GI?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:09 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

The Cline system does the same as the Walbro and you dont have to change anything else.