Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

disconnected throttle cable

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

disconnected throttle cable

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:01 AM
wingbolt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disconnected throttle cable

Myself and 2 other club members present my saito 91 started up at full rpm. and my transmitter throttle action had no effect. The transmitter and receiver both turned on, all other functions working properly.The model, a smaller edge 540T was of course in a strong hold device but I quickly stepped over and in front of the stab. I went through several selections including entering other models hoping there could at least be a throttle change. Oddly enough this had never happened to me or my 2 friends and we have been in the hobby a long time. The edge cowl is attached with 6 screws.
Someone suggested pressing my dynatron starter firmly against the tru- turn spinner hoping it would stall the engine. I pictured my starter and both hands bouncing off the spinner and into the 13" prop. After at least 10 minutes of this I carefully picked up the model, walked about 200 feet across the strip away from everyone and quickly held it nose down and up and it stalled. After removing the cowl it was of course the throttle cable that had disconnected, a first time for me or my 2 friends. Because of the way the engine is installed an extension for the high speed needle is impossible, as it would hit the muffler. With the big gassers we have kill switches. Maybe someone can make a suggestion as to other options. My only advice is to not panic, make sure the model is secure. This engine would have run about 30 minutes with the installed tank.
Richard
Old 06-23-2013, 06:48 AM
perreback

Default RE: disconnected throttle cable

I would simply have blocked the exhaust outlet with a gloved finger.
Old 06-23-2013, 07:11 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: wingbolt

Myself and 2 other club members present my saito 91 started up at full rpm. and my transmitter throttle action had no effect. The transmitter and receiver both turned on, all other functions working properly.The model, a smaller edge 540T was of course in a strong hold device but I quickly stepped over and in front of the stab. I went through several selections including entering other models hoping there could at least be a throttle change. Oddly enough this had never happened to me or my 2 friends and we have been in the hobby a long time. The edge cowl is attached with 6 screws.
Someone suggested pressing my dynatron starter firmly against the tru- turn spinner hoping it would stall the engine. I pictured my starter and both hands bouncing off the spinner and into the 13'' prop. After at least 10 minutes of this I carefully picked up the model, walked about 200 feet across the strip away from everyone and quickly held it nose down and up and it stalled. After removing the cowl it was of course the throttle cable that had disconnected, a first time for me or my 2 friends. Because of the way the engine is installed an extension for the high speed needle is impossible, as it would hit the muffler. With the big gassers we have kill switches. Maybe someone can make a suggestion as to other options. My only advice is to not panic, make sure the model is secure. This engine would have run about 30 minutes with the installed tank.
Richard
How do you put fuel in the tank?

If you use a fueler valve, simply insert a fueler probe in the fueler valve. The engine will lose prime and die.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 06-23-2013, 07:28 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could you reach the carb? Put your finger over it. I have had to use the blocked exhaust method once. I used a wadded up paper towel and stuffed it against exhaust tubes.

Buzz.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:11 AM
wingbolt
My Feedback: (5)

Believe your suggestion (inserting probe into valve) best. Use "du-bro" large scale in all models, silver= glo red = gas Will test this soon.
Thank you..........
Old 06-23-2013, 02:49 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: wingbolt
Because of the way the engine is installed an extension for the high speed needle is impossible, as it would hit the muffler.

Operating a glow engine that you cannot access the needle valve with the cowling on? Wow
Old 06-23-2013, 02:50 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Blocking the exhaust is commonly used in run away RC cars,, just make sure you have a glove or rag to protect from the heat,, it's almost instant how fast it kills the motor
Old 06-23-2013, 03:39 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

I had that happen on my big stik, except it was in the air, the quick connect disconnected from the servo at 3/4 throttle. flew for about 20 minutes before it ran out of fuel, then deadsticked.

ED
Old 06-24-2013, 06:24 AM
Villa

I may be wrong, but I believe if you throw a standard handkerchief into the prop that the engine stops with no damage, except to the handkerchief. Can you imagine what might have happened if your plane had not been properly restrained? Many people start the engine on the ground, with no restrain. Twice in my 40 years in R/C I have started the engine while it was at full throttle. To me it is a heart stopper. Fortunately, each time the plane was on one of our Engine Starting Safety Stands, so it was well restrained. We have 6 of these stands at our field.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:43 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Villa

I may be wrong, but I believe if you throw a standard handkerchief into the prop that the engine stops with no damage, except to the handkerchief. Can you imagine what might have happened if your plane had not been properly restrained? Many people start the engine on the ground, with no restrain. Twice in my 40 years in R/C I have started the engine while it was at full throttle. To me it is a heart stopper. Fortunately, each time the plane was on one of our Engine Starting Safety Stands, so it was well restrained. We have 6 of these stands at our field.
Well, that was a common method we used years ago with smaller engines in my CL days, I don't think I'd try that on anything larger than a 15 size engine. Stopping the prop that way could lead to at the minimum a broken prop,, at worse a bent crank.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:03 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

You did the best think IMHO. Trying to stop a .91 Saito at full bore is a BAD idea. I also think the "du-bro" fueler is a bad idea. There are just to many stories of these causing problems on glow engines. My advice would be to flip the carb over so you can get to the high speed needle. You are asking for trouble not being able to adjust it in the first place.

David
Old 06-24-2013, 09:02 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Only just an Opinion here: For me doing an installation of any two or four stroke glow engines where the main needle valve cannot easily and safely be accessed while the engine is running full bore or otherwise is just Nutz. Not only is it likely that that the operater never gets a good 'Needle' for any given day but even more importantly a situation like the OP's would never happen.

When folks bring an airplane to me that cannot be adjusted with the cowl on for a maiden. Either they remove the cowl and leave it off untlll it is made 'adjustable' or I just wont do it. Yes I have seen beautiful airplanes lost on maidens for no other reason than a maladjusted engine that could not be adjusted with the cowl on and of course they would not leave the cowl off.

I go one step further on all my stuff as well as my students and that is if the airplane has a cowl The main needle is completely adjustable with what ever extension and also the mid range is accessable thru at least a small hole with a screwdriver. This of course need not be done with the engine running.

Now last but certainly not least while I never use fueling valves ever but on anything of mine with a cowl (heck, some even without a cowl simply beacause its easier) I use an increditably simple loop of Line out a small hole and right back in the cowl thru another hole. This with a cut and a piece of tube provides a simple place to fuel from, a place to pinch the line for pinch tunning of two strokes but most importantly to the OP a very simple and safe place to pinch the line shutting down the engine instantly.

But maybe that's just me.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25879.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	1894694