Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Batteries & Chargers
Reload this Page >

Thunder AC680 reading 6S pack as 5S

Community
Search
Notices
Batteries & Chargers Nicads, Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium, LiPoly, Chargers, Cyclers, etc...

Thunder AC680 reading 6S pack as 5S

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 08:39 AM
Sir Not Appearing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder AC680 reading 6S pack as 5S

I have a 6S Sky lipo (30C 4400mah) pack that I bought awhile back and has maybe 3-4 runs on it. I use it in my Inferno GT and I just brought it home after running it and my Thunder AC680 is telling me that the "R" and "S" numbers don't match. I'm entering 6S Balance and when it checks the battery, it is coming back with "R:5 SER S:6 SER".

Does this mean this pack is toast? I'm fairly new to Lipo, but I do know that me ESC is set correctly on the cut-off and I've been using the storage charge feature of my charger after running the cars/trucks. I know its not the charger as my Gens Ace 2s and Sky 4s packs are charging fine. I know things happen in this hobby, but I'm not going to be pleased if I got 4 runs out of an $85 pack. BTW, the pack is not visibly damaged or puffed.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Goldenduff

Default RE: Thunder AC680 reading 6S pack as 5S

What's the voltage of the whole pack?

To offer much more help i think we would need to know if you have a voltmeter to check each cell's voltage. 

In the meantime store the lipo in a bucket of sand. Outside. Away from the house........
Old 06-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Sir Not Appearing

Yes, I've got a voltmeter and I will get back later tonight with the voltage for the pack. After thinking about it, I really hope my ESC was on Auto-detect and not set for 4S. I originally had the car set up for 4S and of course, the nearly instantaneous 0-45mph wasn't enough and I bought the 6S pack. I'm going to check the ESC with my programmer when I get home and see what it says.

Now about that pack....I wish I hadn't been so busy working on my 1:1 car to not get back to this thread. Its in a Lipo bag in my garage. []
Old 06-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Goldenduff

Should be okay.

When you get the voltmeter check the voltage of the pack and also of each cell; probe the balance lead and write down the numbers- they should a be around 3v - if its 6 or 9 etc you are measuring across multiple cells. 

If it measures less than 3v you have found a possibly damaged cell that the charger isn't recognising. But we can cross that bridge if we get there!....
Old 06-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Sir Not Appearing

Now I'm really confused. I tried two different voltmeters and both read 22.9. That means the esc is cutting off around 3.8. It is set for 3.4, but these Hobbywing 150a are known to cut off at a higher voltage than where they are set. So at 22.9v, why would the charger think it's a 5s battery?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Goldenduff

Do you have another 6 cell lipo you could use to see if the fault is with the charger port or the lipo?

Try probing the balance port just to rule out the 22.9v being comprised of 5 voltages and to see if the balance plug is intact.

I do not wish to insult but have you plugged the balance port in to the 6cell port?!