Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First Radio

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First Radio

Old 06-23-2013, 03:43 PM
weazel1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First Radio

go with futaba single reciver unlike the orthers when you want to go bigger you dont have to put a bunch of satilite rec all over the place
Old 06-23-2013, 04:24 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Of the listed radio's. The RD8000 fits the budget. Fantastic support if you need it. I have never needed it. It will be on sale for $140.00.

The 9x also fits the budget. The Rx's are $11.00 for 6 channels.

If you out grow the radio, you can upgrade the firmware to add tons of features to it. I flew mine bone stock for a year and a half. I only upgraded the firmware to get more model memories. It did add tons of features.

I have over 2 years now without any issues with this radio. For what I paid, I got way more then what I paid.

Buzz.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:41 PM
koastrc

In the two clubs I belong to we try to help those on short money. Two weeks ago I was given one of my old FM radios back after the dude used it for a season. Still works great and I intend on passing it on to the next guy. The fellow that had the FM has went on to a real nice 2.4. Perhaps the OP can go to a local club and see what is out there, who knows?
Old 06-23-2013, 05:12 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

get at least a good 6 channel radio go to a club and ask around>> a good raduio and engine and plane and u will be happy>>> but go to a club see what is going on
Old 06-23-2013, 05:50 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Agree with most people her. Get a good brand radio and you'll save money in the long run.
When you outgrew your trainer, you may want something sporty, maybe try helicopters, warbirds or even jets.
A good computer radio will do it all, no need to upgrade later.

Be sure there is a place close buy where you can send it in and get repaired, when something is wrong with it.
Also it's a good idea to have a spare tx for that case...
Also check the prices for receivers, you might want to buy quite a few.

I am quite happy with my Futaba 8FG, once you figure out the programming, it can be set up fast and easy. You can see expo and pitch curves on the screen and has an SD card for an endless # of model memories.
For the cheaper models I use RXs from Value Hobby, they are around $22 and have work flawless for me.

As a backup I have a 7C, which is nice, but the small screen makes it more difficult to program.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:06 PM
Warjet
My Feedback: (327)

The Airtronics RDS8000 is a good radio, but when it's time to add more receivers, $75 each minimum. When Hobby People bought them, they lowered the price of their radios, but all the accessories are pretty steep. I sold my RDS that had never been used for that reason. If third parties would come out with compatible receivers, then the radio would be worth owning.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:48 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

+1 on the Airtronics.. I have the RDS8000, as well as an SD10G, and the RDS8000 would suit a beginner for a very long time.. You may ask, "If you like the RDS8000 so well, then why do you also have an SD10G??" Answer, because I got a really good deal on it!!

also, the receivers are not all $70+ each.. you can get a 5 ch rx for around $50. basically, it seems that the Airtronics full range receivers are around $10 per channel, at least thats my observation!!

Craig..
Old 06-23-2013, 09:33 PM
byrne1157

I'll start by saying that I just scrolled through the classifieds here, and saw several JR, Futaba, Airtronics, and Spektrum radios for sale. Not one single ad for a Turnigy 9x. That speaks volumes to me. When I was early into r/c, I purchased an old FM Futaba 6EXA. But I quickly found it wouldn't fill my needs with only 3 model memories in it. So I did some research, and bought the best radio I could afford. It had to have certain attributes. It had to be 2.4 Ghz, so I wouldn't interfere with any others at the field, nor would they interfere with me. It also would have to be a radio I could grow with. More channels, more model memories. It would have to be well built. And it had to use rx's that were inexpensive, yet perform well. The Turnigy 9x filled all those requirements, and more. Range checked to slightly over 1-1/2 miles, on the ground, with trees, hills, and buildings in the way. I used a philips screwdriver, installed my own smartieparts board and backlight, which also gave me a usb connector, and now I have access to other firmware for free. Now my Tx has unlimited mixes, 16  model memories, assignable switches and pots. I can use it for any aircraft. Airplanes, Heli's, and Gliders. I can store programs on my pc, and upload them just before going to the field, or, take my laptop and do it there, if I should exeed 16 models. My Rx's cost average 12bucks for8 ch, 11 bucks for 6ch. My total cost? About $150.00. I don't see any need for any other radios in my hangar...Oh, if I should find a need to fly someone else's plane that has one of those "other" rx's in it, I can simply switch to that brand of Module, and fly it.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 PM
davidhand

I'd go for the DX6i, you'll find it adequate for quite some time. You might want to see what is being used at your local club though particularly if you want to buddy box with one of their instructors. At our club almost everyone has either a Spektrum of Futaba, a guy showed up with another brand one day and nobody could help him.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:28 AM
kiwibob72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: byrne1157

I'll start by saying that I just scrolled through the classifieds here, and saw several JR, Futaba, Airtronics, and Spektrum radios for sale. Not one single ad for a Turnigy 9x. That speaks volumes to me. When I was early into r/c, I purchased an old FM Futaba 6EXA. But I quickly found it wouldn't fill my needs with only 3 model memories in it. So I did some research, and bought the best radio I could afford. It had to have certain attributes. It had to be 2.4 Ghz, so I wouldn't interfere with any others at the field, nor would they interfere with me. It also would have to be a radio I could grow with. More channels, more model memories. It would have to be well built. And it had to use rx's that were inexpensive, yet perform well. The Turnigy 9x filled all those requirements, and more. Range checked to slightly over 1-1/2 miles, on the ground, with trees, hills, and buildings in the way. I used a philips screwdriver, installed my own smartieparts board and backlight, which also gave me a usb connector, and now I have access to other firmware for free. Now my Tx has unlimited mixes, 16 model memories, assignable switches and pots. I can use it for any aircraft. Airplanes, Heli's, and Gliders. I can store programs on my pc, and upload them just before going to the field, or, take my laptop and do it there, if I should exeed 16 models. My Rx's cost average 12bucks for8 ch, 11 bucks for 6ch. My total cost? About $150.00. I don't see any need for any other radios in my hangar...Oh, if I should find a need to fly someone else's plane that has one of those ''other'' rx's in it, I can simply switch to that brand of Module, and fly it.
I'll start by saying that I have a Dx6i, and it is indeed been a flawless 6ch radio for the 4 years I have had it. It's also been not enough channels from the moment I brought it.

I originally got it to run a nitro heli, and it does - at the absolute minimum (excluding the motor governer I want to install). It runs my 56" Yak54 fantastically, as that only uses 5 channels.
My P51 Mustang with 9 servos and a NEED for an opti kill on the gas motor, it's NOT enough. My new 30cc Sbach that will run 6 servos (twin elevator servos) and also need that opti-kill on the ignition, I can do it with a 6ch radio, but I'm forced to use Y-leads, which I do not trust.

Where am I going with this? ..... if your on a budget, and cannot afford a good "brand" radio with 9channels or more, there is NOTHING wrong with the Turnigy 9X 9ch radio. It works, and when you want to add another plane to your fleet, you can save $60-80+ on a new RX alone (this is key for pilots on a budget). They have actually been independently tested and proved to be as or more secure than a LOT of other radios systems out there, so are safe.

Sure FASST is rock solid, as is DSMX - they are GREAT systems, and there is no denying that. But they are also dam expensive systems and not everyone can afford them. On that basis, there is another option with will allow users into the hobby, but as long as they are smart enough to look beyond that 'must be name brand only' mindset that is out there.

And if you want proof they work, this is a 30cc Sbach running that exact system: [link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eP8LZPGBLP0[/link]
Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey JSFBoat here is a list of AMA clubs in your aera. Haven't read all the posts but find a club and hang out there for a couple of weeks (Ends). Talk to guys see what this hobby is all about. There's a lot more than meets the eye.

AIRMASTERS RC CLUB
Flying Site Details
3.06 miles
2814 155 RICHARD CLANG
Email Contact
Phone: 772.581.2967
Visit Website
QUIET BIRDS OF VERO BEACH
Flying Site Details
9.96 miles
5102 13 THOMAS CHYTIL
Email Contact
Phone: 772.567.1029 5
SEBASTIAN RC CLUB - Email Club
Flying Site Details
13.00 miles
212 18 MARK WHITE
Email Contact
Phone: 772.563.0515 5
FLYING EAGLES RC CLUB
Flying Site Details
18.08 miles
4589 50 VERNON GILLESPIE
Email Contact
Phone: 772.344.0226 5 Yes
INDIAN RIVER KONTROL SO INC
Flying Site Details
18.14 miles
208 177 LEROY ROYER
Email Contact
Phone: 321.777.6373
Visit Website
Good Luck we all were in your position unless our fathers wer in the hobby too.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:17 AM
daddyrabbit1234
My Feedback: (14)

Bigger isn't always better when your just starting out. The Tactic 650 is the best bang for the buck plus this radio will fly several transmitter ready planes from tower hobbies not to mention it also makes a great buddy box when teaching others down the road. I bought the latest Spektrum DX7 and other than the sticks being a little smoother it doesn't fly any different than the Tactic. The Spektrum has a lot of programing features such as mixing but  that's something a trainer shouldn't need. The more basic your setup is the better off you'll be until your a semi seasoned flyer. 

Old 06-24-2013, 09:35 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By that you mean that everyone is especially happy with the 9X and junking their JR, etc radios?

I don't own one... but I have been impressed by some of these off name brand radios.

ORIGINAL: byrne1157
I'll start by saying that I just scrolled through the classifieds here, and saw several JR, Futaba, Airtronics, and Spektrum radios for sale. Not one single ad for a Turnigy 9x. That speaks volumes to me.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:09 AM
daddyrabbit1234
My Feedback: (14)

If you search the forum classifieds there is a Spektrum DX7 in excellent used condition for $140.00 shipped to your door. They retail new for 249.00
Old 06-24-2013, 10:10 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's not that Turnigy's are so great that no one wants to part with them once they have them. It's that there aren't that many people who have them to start with, and the ones that do are so price focused that there isn't any other radio they want to upgrade to. The Turnigy 9x is the top end radio in the cheap radio market, so guys who want cheap radios already have the "best."
Old 06-24-2013, 10:52 AM
byrne1157

I've had my Turnigy radio for over 3 years. It wasn't easy to get one, because they were having problems keeping enough in stock. I don't know if that was due to slow manufacturing, or what ever the reason for that.  I have had absolutely no problems with it. The gimbals are not sloppy, the servo respone is not jittery, I have never experienced a "BROWNOUT", nor have any of my rx's ever required re-binding. No switches have broken off. 
 As far as I am concerned, there is no "upgrade" radio for me. Only other radios that cost more, and will not give me more than I already have. Just because it cost me less to purchase, doesn't make it less capable, or not as good as a "Name Brand" radio. I'm going to go way out on a limb here, and suggest that some of the detractors may be jealous, or feeling a bit put out because they spent so much on their radios, and got so little for their dollars. Would I fly a $3,000.00 airplane with this radio? YOU BET!!!! My $100.00 airplanes mean just as much to me as a more expensive one would. 
Old 06-24-2013, 11:03 AM
opjose

At the Toledo show I looked at the new FlySky TX's which look great... they look just like the JR 9503's and I had a chance to play with the new Turnigy's.

For inexpensive radios, they are not bad at all.

However take them to a field and ask for help, and you'll be alone.

Buddy boxing is an adventure, etc...

That alone prevents me from recommending these radios, especially to novices who are already struggling with the new technologies.

It is better for the novice to have the resources, guides and experience of one of the major brands.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:20 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I didn't notice anyone else saying this so I will.  When I started I bought a 4 channel Airtronics suited my purposes just fine.  HOWEVER, no one else in my area flew Airtronics so I could not use the buddy box system for learning.  While park flyers may (or may not) be suitable for learning how to fly my experience has been that a bigger airplane and an instructor are invaluable.  That said, I suggest you might find a local club and see what they are using.  Then you can choose a low cost radio that will connect to one of their instructors' radios when you decide to go bigger.  DX6i is certainly a good choice.  So is Tactic.  JR and Futaba are typically more expensive.  And Airtronics (for some reason) seems to be lonely.  But then the radio I have had for 15 years now is a Hitec Prism 7X which talks to ALL 72MHz FM receivers and most transmitter buddy cords.
Old 06-24-2013, 01:17 PM
HoundDog

U don't want anything to do with DSM2 receivers If DSM2 were any good they would not have gone to full hopping DSMX ... if U are going to spend money buy the good stuff first. Go to your local field and watch who crashes an who doesn't. JMHO
Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Johnny_Zero
My Feedback: (44)

In 4 years and around 1,000 flights I have never had a problem with DSM or DSM2.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Kitman
My Feedback: (13)

Just a statement, Futaba has used 2.4 technology for over 15+years in the SkyCrane industry. With their liabilities you know they only use the best.

Yes, I am a longtime sponsored pilot with Futaba. Fly all over the US and not a problem, even Joe Nall tested and approved.

Futaba 8Fg will take you to any level in RC!

Greg
Old 06-24-2013, 03:31 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

aflying club is the best place to go to see what is going on
Old 06-24-2013, 04:02 PM
HoundDog

In one 9 week period I personally witnessed 13 aircraft kill them selves for no reason at all. DSM2 uses only 2 channels of 80 these were the 600 series receivers and it was 2 years ago. but again they would not have changed to hopping if their 2 channel scheme was viable. JMHO Still Go out and talk to others at a couple of clubs ... People are funny and they are preregistered to what equipment they use because they want to believe they made the best choice when may the didn't.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:01 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Give me a break... I have both. I cannot tell any difference from one to the other. Now if I am flying at a large event, I would use DSMX. Otherwise anything will do.

ORIGINAL: HoundDog
U don't want anything to do with DSM2 receivers If DSM2 were any good they would not have gone to full hopping DSMX ... if U are going to spend money buy the good stuff first. Go to your local field and watch who crashes an who doesn't. JMHO
Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

opjose, your points about buddy boxing, help have never been a problem for me. I fly Aitronics and there was no one there who even liked Airtronics so I was alone either way I went With most people having smart phones or Internet capable devices, your car, tablet, phone, watch, or what have you. You can always find help even if the people at the field can not help.

I found the programming of the 9x to be different. Once I figured out how they laid out the menu structure, it was easy. It was, to me, no different then learning how to program a friends Dx6i. Once you go through the menu's a bit, you start to remember where stuff is. For an $80.00 radio. It has features galore. If you use the smartie parts board and flash the firmware, it is mind blowing. Stored 16 model memory, yet is unlimited due to the fact you plug it into your computer. Mix any channel with any channel or multi channel's.

The reliability question always comes up. Look at all of the brown out issues with spectrum and Futaba Rx's over heating. Getting a name brand does not mean problem free. Every brand I have ever owned has had an issue with something they made at one time or another.

So if you bought the 9x, with (7) 6 channel rx's, you would spend less then any other radio out there. You can get the radio and the 7 Rx's for just under $160.00.

Any of the computer radios will have a learning curve to figure out. JR, Futaba, Airtronics, 9x, DEVO 12 and so on.

DEVO12
http://hobby-wing.com/walkera-devo-12-ch-radio-set.html

Buzz.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.